Place to read, comment about Boise St.

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Place to read, comment about Boise St.

Postby Spence » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:03 pm

They would have to add some seating, but i don't think that Would be an issue.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Spence wrote:They would have to add some seating, but i don't think that Would be an issue.
Problem with that is last year in an undefeated season they averaged less than capacity for their games. Just adding seats would not solve that, I don't think.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3988 ... ur-team-do
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:20 pm

but to take that point a bit farther...wouldn't those conferences want the BCS money that Boise would generate in the bowl games?
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Derek wrote:but to take that point a bit farther...wouldn't those conferences want the BCS money that Boise would generate in the bowl games?
Hey, we need some input from our Boise guys. I think the lack of teams that would be competitive in the other sports such as basketball would be a hindrance.

If they joined the Pac 10, do you think they would be in a BCS bowl game regularly? Oops, that takes us back to stuff we have already discussed before. Nevermind.

I think maybe Donovan said that Boise State was also pretty much a commuter school, and not sure that is a good fit for Pac 10 or Pac 12. I don't think Boise State joining a BCS conference is an option for them, even if they desired to do so.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:46 pm

[quote="RazorHawk"
If they joined the Pac 10, do you think they would be in a BCS bowl game regularly? Oops, that takes us back to stuff we have already discussed before. Nevermind.

[/quote]

That's kinda my point. :wink:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:32 pm

RazorHawk wrote:
Spence wrote:They would have to add some seating, but i don't think that Would be an issue.
Problem with that is last year in an undefeated season they averaged less than capacity for their games. Just adding seats would not solve that, I don't think.

I understand that, but I think they would draw better with SC, Oregon, and UCLA coming to town. The opponent does matter. If you want to see an Ohio State game, even though they are always sold out before the season, people resale Youngstown State tickets. Miami Florida would be a little harder to get.
I think the bigger issue is can Boise State fund the amount of sport the PAC 10 would want them to fund.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Spence wrote:
RazorHawk wrote:

I understand that, but I think they would draw better with SC, Oregon, and UCLA coming to town. The opponent does matter. If you want to see an Ohio State game, even though they are always sold out before the season, people resale Youngstown State tickets. Miami Florida would be a little harder to get.
I think the bigger issue is can Boise State fund the amount of sport the PAC 10 would want them to fund.

That has got to be the big one, if not the whole thing! Ask Cal how the baseball team is doing? And I wonder how that will set over the next few years?
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:02 pm

Of course Boise just refused a series with Nebraska....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:17 pm

billybud wrote:Of course Boise just refused a series with Nebraska....

Good deal for Nebraska, it was a 2 for 1 deal. Some think Boise was trying for the Home and Home, and I don't know who new what about the Big 10 move back in Feb/Mar or so?

I wouldn't think they'd go all the way to the East Coast to play Va. Tech and not take a Nebraska game for fear of competition? But if they don't say why, we can't really know.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:37 pm

My sympathy is tempered by the fact that when FSU was trying to move up, they did go to Lincoln twice...no return, Columbus twice...no return...Lansing....no return...Ann Arbor twice...no return...South Bend twice...no return ....Baton Rouge five times....you get the picture.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:05 pm

I personally don't know the details about most of these things so I can only speculate like everyone else.

Commuter School, yes. But not as much as you might think. There is never enough housing on campus because they can't build it fast enough. Therefore, many students do live off campus -- as it is on many other campuses across the country I would guess. But BSU is extraordinary in that respect.

Seating capacity is being expanded to 53,000. Attendance at a game is based upon pretty much who the draw is. Boise State has won so many games at home some people just feels numbed by it all because they assume the Broncos will just win again. But there is an energized core fan base there and with this coaching staff things can only get better.

BCS conference? I believe from all those I have talked to in the past that this, indeed is on the long range plan for Boise State -- but a lot of conditions have to be right. One of those is the stadium, another is the conference, itself. The conferences really don't come pounding at BSU's door. I'm sure the biggest reason is the stadium. It has been pointed out that BSU has the smallest stadium of any of the Top 25 schools. I know for a fact that Coach Petersen has been very proactive to working on the powers that be to increase the Stadium seating and make it more modern. Remember, it wasn't that many years ago that Boise State was a Junior College, then Boise College, and now Boise State University. An eye-blink in time compared to the history of College Football and a meteoric rise since becoming a University. It has not been that long ago that they won the National Championship as a 1AA school to now even being gossiped about the possibility with the big boys.

I believe Coach Petersen is saying, "Build the Stadium and They will Come"....

Rather smart man he is with great vision. He hangs tough to build a college football legacy and because he has hung in there he has gained the respect of the community and has turned the tables on such things as sparse attendance to nearly filled capacity to a real football town crazy kind of thing.

I guess that is all I can say about that -- would you like a choc-o-late from my box of chocolates?
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

Return to “General Discussion”