Games That I am Interested IN...week 9

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Games That I am Interested IN...week 9

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:29 pm

ACC
Clemson @ Boston College....the Tigers have won 2 in a row for the first time this year, BC is riding a 4 game losing streak...for Nole fans, it would be nice if the Eagles could pull off the upset (giving Clemson a 3rd ACC loss), but more than likely the BC O will continue to sputter. My only hope is the BC rush D (Which is one of the best in the country) shuts down the Tigers ground game and maybe Parker will throw the game right into the hands of the BC back 7

Wake Forest @ Maryland-.....like the Clem/BC game, this game has meaning to us FSU fans cause it would be nice if WF could give UMD another conference loss...Wake has been pitiful this year though, and with the game on the road, the only hope the Deacons have is if the Terps get turnover happy

FSU @ NC State....I might watch (LOL). Russell Wilson is the leading passer in the ACC and #5 in the country. He averages close to 350 passing yards a game. He is true dual threat and can beat you with his legs. The line is now FSU - 3 1/2. Tough game for the Nole D.

Big 10

Michigan St @ Iowa....after a Les Miles like management of the clock last Saturday by Kirk Ferentz, he gets a quick chance at redemption...a win by the Hawkeyes throws the B10 race on its head...a win by the Spartans and Michigan St could be looking at a stranglehold on the B10 title and Rose Bowl birth...should be a great game. Watch for Adrian Claiborne to be a huge factor, if Sparty can't block him, Iowa wins, if Sparty contains him, MSU probably walks out at 9-0

Michigan @ Penn St-....who needs this W more? Serious question, because PSU needs two more wins this season to become bowl eligible....while RichRod can't afford to see his losing streak move to 3 in a row...appears PSU will be without starting freshman QB Robert Bolden (head injury), but it might not matter who is the QB for PSU is since the Michigan D hasn't stopped anyone all year. Michigan is better.

Big XII

Missouri @ Nebraska- both teams are coming off huge wins...Nebraska's O exploded last week vs Okie St while the Mizzou Defense proved their resurgence this year is no fluke...expect a pissed off and motivated Black Shirts D after being torched repeatedly by the Cowboys last week, and also, the last home game NU had was a loss to Texas...I don't expect 2 home losses in a row in Lincoln..I like the Huskers.

Baylor @ Texas....seriously, who would have thought Baylor would be sitting atop the South Standings this late in the season? Can the Bears really go into Austin and beat the Horns? Yep...will they? I doubt it...should be interesting though. Baylor has never beaten Texas (0-12) and Mack Brown's Horns have outscored Baylor 578-134 in the series...this is the first time Baylor has been ranked since 1993, wow.

Big East

uh uh...no game that I am dying to watch.

Pac 10

Stanford @ Washington-...the Huskies are trying to battle back from a miserable start to the year, the Cardinal still have hopes of a P10 title and Rose Bowl bid...can Washington and Jake Locker knock off another ranked team in the P10 (already nabbed USC and Oregon St)?

Oregon @ USC-...Oregon is #1 in both human polls, on the road vs a conference foe, college gameday in the house...yup, recipe for disaster for the Ducks...I don't expect a lot of defense to be honest. Barkley should have success vs the Ducks D and USC should be able to take advantage of a Ducks run D that is a little soft in the middle...this game will come down to turnovers and which D can hold the other to field goals in the redzone...could be a classic

SEC

Florida vs Georgia-...the least appealing cocktail party in a loooooooonnnnnggggg time...can we be so lucky to see Urbie lose 4 in a row? I'll watch and root for it thats for dang sure...meanwhile UGA is actually playing some decent ball as of late after a horrific start

Auburn @ Ole Miss-...Auburn's last real test until playing Bama...can the Tigers get focused and continue to execute and avoid the letdown 3 straight #1's have had on the road? that Tiger D better play like they did vs LSU, otherwise Massoli and the Rebs could make this a 4th Qtr battle

Non-BCS

Utah @ Air Force- I just want to see how Utah (playing their 7th consecutive week) will handle the AFA option attack...this series has been close for the last 5 years (all games decided by 7 points or less).

there you have it, the games I'll be keeping an eye on this week...thoughts? any games I missed that you like?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Games That I am Interested IN...week 9

Postby GoBoilers » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:38 pm

You nailed the ones I will follow! Put your resume in ESPN!
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Michigan St @ Iowa....after a Les Miles like management of the clock last Saturday by Kirk Ferentz, he gets a quick chance at redemption...a win by the Hawkeyes throws the B10 race on its head...a win by the Spartans and Michigan St could be looking at a stranglehold on the B10 title and Rose Bowl birth...should be a great game. Watch for Adrian Claiborne to be a huge factor, if Sparty can't block him, Iowa wins, if Sparty contains him, MSU probably walks out at 9-0

That was the most mismanaged game I have ever seen Ferentz involved in. He usually doesn't do that kind of thing. Sparty goes down this week. You heard it here first. :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:57 pm

Iowa is a 6.5 point favorite, so the experts agree with you Spence.

Forgetting about allowing the fake punt, the other issue Ferentz accepted responsibility for it. I am not so sure. From what I saw and have read, after the 4th and 1 sneak, Stanzi was up under center and appeared set to clock it. He then looked to the sidelines and backed out from under center awaiting the call and that call was timeout. My first guess it, the Ken O'Keefe the offensive coordinator caused the confusion and Ferentz took the bullet, instead of throwing him under the bus. This is just my speculation, as Ferentz did accept the blame.

One of the criticisms that Ferentz has gotten is his extreme loyalty to his staff, to a point of unwillingness to make any changes.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:44 pm

That is Tressel's big criticism. I don't know what happened, but Iowa could have won that game. That last few minutes was just nuts. First no one expected the fake - no one on the team anyway. 40 guys were I was were all calling it. Then the bad series on offense to finsh them off.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:45 pm

Your list is a "Must See" for the weekend. Good choices and good analysis.
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Same games for me but I do want to see UofL - Pitt and Cuse - Cincy. I will be able to tell the front runner after this weekend. Won't learn much about WV-who...don't think it will show who they are.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:55 pm

What no Ark vs Vandy.

Vanderbilt changed there offensive coordinator a couple of days ago. Ryan Mallett missed 3 quarters 2 weeks ago due to a concussion, and was knocked out of the Ole Miss game early in the 3rd quarter with a bruised throwing shoulder....he is practicing again. Ark's top 2 WR's may not play....both were knocked out of the Ole Miss game with ankle injuries (Greg Childs and Joe Adams).

Ark is still favored by 21 points I believe.

I am just joking about not putting this game on your list....outside of Ark and Vandy fans I am sure no one else will watch.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:53 am

Dossenator wrote:What no Ark vs Vandy.

Vanderbilt changed there offensive coordinator a couple of days ago. Ryan Mallett missed 3 quarters 2 weeks ago due to a concussion, and was knocked out of the Ole Miss game early in the 3rd quarter with a bruised throwing shoulder....he is practicing again. Ark's top 2 WR's may not play....both were knocked out of the Ole Miss game with ankle injuries (Greg Childs and Joe Adams).

I am just joking about not putting this game on your list....outside of Ark and Vandy fans I am sure no one else will watch.

Well, if it is on I would like to see some of it now. With that many missing men you will get to see what Ark's 2nd and 3rd string look like.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:24 pm

WoVeU wrote:

Well, if it is on I would like to see some of it now. With that many missing men you will get to see what Ark's 2nd and 3rd string look like.

They backups looked good against Ole Miss...and Tyler Wilson looked good against Auburn and Ole Miss. Ark will still have Jarius Wright (the best #3 WR in the country, TE DJ Williams who leads all active college TE with yards and TD's for a career, a rising star in WR Cobi Hamilton, and all the running backs catch the ball out of the backfield well...especially Ronnie Wingo. It will be interesting to see how the freshman WR's do with their playing time...Humphrey, Horton, Ray, and others. I don't think Adams or Childs have been ruled out completely for Sat but I think they will try to get them healthy before the South Carolina game next week. To add to the madness....Ark Defensive lineman DD Jones was arrested for possession of marijuana and will not play (Petrino is pretty tough on situations like this...I bet he misses 6 games...others have received similar punishments).
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Dossenator wrote:
WoVeU wrote:

They backups looked good against Ole Miss...and Tyler Wilson looked good against Auburn and Ole Miss. Ark will still have Jarius Wright (the best #3 WR in the country, TE DJ Williams who leads all active college TE with yards and TD's for a career, a rising star in WR Cobi Hamilton, and all the running backs catch the ball out of the backfield well...especially Ronnie Wingo. It will be interesting to see how the freshman WR's do with their playing time...Humphrey, Horton, Ray, and others. I don't think Adams or Childs have been ruled out completely for Sat but I think they will try to get them healthy before the South Carolina game next week. To add to the madness....Ark Defensive lineman DD Jones was arrested for possession of marijuana and will not play (Petrino is pretty tough on situations like this...I bet he misses 6 games...others have received similar punishments).

Sounds like a developmental game...which is good, as long as you get the W. My plate will be more open on Saturday, WVU plays Friday night. (The one advantage of following the Big East, the Thursday - Friday night games are frequent, so I get to watch more games on Saturday than some fans do.)
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:38 pm

You know, I like WVU and watch tham as much as I can. I do expect them to beat UConn handily.

But, and it may just be me, Stew makes me nervous as a coach. His decisions have been baffling, the disorganization (or appearance of it) on the sideline worries me and all of his pressers (I listen to them all) seem to show a coach under fire. Stew needs a good win with no controversy to quiet some of the voluble naysayers.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:53 pm

billybud wrote:You know, I like WVU and watch tham as much as I can. I do expect them to beat UConn handily.

But, and it may just be me, Stew makes me nervous as a coach. His decisions have been baffling, the disorganization (or appearance of it) on the sideline worries me and all of his pressers (I listen to them all) seem to show a coach under fire. Stew needs a good win with no controversy to quiet some of the voluble naysayers.

They are fun to watch for a few reasons. But of late there has been chaos, last half of the USF game and Syracuse. And I see the same thing you see with Stew. I think he prefers to let the OCs and DCs do there game day business...but my mind is thinking the indecision, funky/bad play calling, and some comments after the USF game ("we didn't run the ball enough") all add up to the same thing. He gives major goals and general commands...and I think we had too much free-lancing and drift form plan. But I have to vote with Stew then, because the plays vs down and distance, and the general progression of plays and how they ran the ball have been really bad for 6 quarters. (Competition always means something, but when the style is all jacked up, I am looking to the sidelines.) {And I saw some of this against Marshall, the worst actually...and some against LSU. I can forgive the LSU game, the crowd and injuries...there is going to be some.} I think Doc's absence is rather noted!
R. Reagan

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:01 pm

WoVeU wrote:
Dossenator wrote:
WoVeU wrote:

Sounds like a developmental game...which is good, as long as you get the W. My plate will be more open on Saturday, WVU plays Friday night. (The one advantage of following the Big East, the Thursday - Friday night games are frequent, so I get to watch more games on Saturday than some fans do.)
With the previous coach at Arkansas, they always seemed to lose a game or two each year that they should not. Vandy and Kentucky come to mind. For some reason, I don't have that concern this year.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:04 pm

I have come to believe that Mullen (OC) is not a really good spread guy. The best spread guys look at the D when the offense comes up, and call a play to take advantage of what the situation lends.

It appears as if Mullen is a "downs and distance" guy. He calls a play and it doesn't matter how the D lines up to the offensive formation. He doesn't seem to signal in a play based on the defense. RR offense was very good at being able to take advantage of your scheme...Jimbo is of the Saban school and they do the same.

Return to “General Discussion”