Fresno State & Nevada go to MWC

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Fresno State & Nevada go to MWC

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:01 am

Fresno and Nevada are going to the MWC.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010 ... ed-to-mwc/
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Fresno State & Nevada go to MWC

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:08 am

Pretty neat move. It implodes the WAC, leaving only six teams. That may make the WAC pretty unattractive for BYU as a base for it's other sports if BYU goes independent.

Football conference maneuvering is becoming a chess game. BYU opens with an independence move, the MWC counters with taking BYU's covering pawns.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:28 am

My guess is that the inner circles of these mid majors are having the same conversations we are having and basically it is saying....what the heck are we doing in a group where we can never get ahead. The advantage of the WAC for BYU's other sports is travel and there is no restrictions where there is a national title. What a mess.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:49 am

Actually, I see the MWC making a play to be more viable in the BCS system...moving ahead of the other non BCS conferences and positioning themselves.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:09 am

I agree. The BYU may want to rethink the whole independent thing. If they think they are going to get the same special deal inside the BCS as Notre Dame they are mistaken.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Grayghost
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Grayghost » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:36 am

This may not be as easy as it looks. After Boise bolted for the MWC, the rest of the WAC signed a new agreement with a $5M buyout clause for any team that wanted to leave. Fresno and Nevada will both have a hard time coming up with this kinda money. It may still happen, but it is not a slam dunk.
I dont care who wins as long as Notre Dame loses!

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:41 am

All it takes is a couple of multimillionaire boosters....

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:54 am

billybud wrote:All it takes is a couple of multimillionaire boosters....

...and every school has those when it comes to sports. It is a crap shoot...I suspect Utah leaving the MWC was the death knell for BYU. BYU, like Notre Dame, has no problem being independent on a myriad of issues. Just do not think they want to be at the end of a whip. BYU has some well established issues that make them want to be in control. Sunday games is not insignificant to BYU. They have never played on Sunday and there is no reason to believe they will. Now that Sunday play is becoming a common occurrence...that in and of itself may be the issue. BYU always needs church approval for big issues. Those in charge are more concerned about the school fitting into their beliefs and traditions than whatever the issue is. It was BYU and Notre Dame that joined forces in a law suit to not have to have co-educational dorms. They won. I do not think they are looking for a Notre Dame deal. Just think they want to be in control of their destiny. Not sure I can argue with that.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”