Regionals...baseball

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Regionals...baseball

Postby donovan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:35 pm

I think we need an congressional investigation and several committees. Seems to me with something as important as sports announcers we need an equal number of men and women...and the same height. :roll:
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:21 pm

donovan wrote:I think we need an congressional investigation and several committees. Seems to me with something as important as sports announcers we need an equal number of men and women...and the same height. :roll:
Or just maybe the announcers that do the best job. I am not sure if there is an attempt by any network to fill any quota requirements. Not sure there is such a thing. My pet peeve is when a professional (someone that gets paid to announce a sport) and when I know more about that sport than they do, I think there is a problem. Golf may be the only exception, as I have been in the golf business and profession for my entire career.

I do realize with the :roll: you were being sarcastic. And the last thing that is needed is for the government to get more involved in college, professional or any level of sports.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:23 pm

For me it has nothing to do with her being a woman. She had three stories that she repeated over and over because she was completely clueless about both Florida State's and Arkansas' baseball teams. They were...Florida State scored 37 runs against Ohio State, the Posey kid for Florida State is the brother of the legendary Florida State catcher 'someone' Posey who apparently plays class A ball for San Francisco (legendary might not be the right words), and repeating over and over that Arkansas started strong and struggled down the stretch and that Florida State started the season slow and played great ball at the end of the year. She had nothing else to give after the first 15 minutes of the first game.

And the guy with her...don't even know his name...just about drove me crazy. He kept saying things like....'insert batters name here' is hoping for a two strike count so he can really work the pitcher (what?..ya, I'm sure all the batters are hoping for 2 strike counts) or the team trailing has all the pressure on them until the last few innings (what? that's exactly when the pressure is on them...they have to score to win)...and there were many other gems.

Oh...I guess they did have one more tid bit that they both loved to talk about....the chain link fence in right field....it got to the point that I muted the sound. I just could not take it anymore.

I'm not saying I could do any better...in fact, I know I could not. But they are suppose to be professionals. Do your research and bring something to the table. If you have nothing to say then stay silent...I don't mind just watching the game: hearing the crowd, the sound of the ball hit the catchers glove, the sound of the ball hitting the bat, etc.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:31 pm

Doss, I think that is one of the mistakes many announcers do. They feel they have to be talking non-stop. In days gone by, the announcers were sometimes doing a radio simulcast, but don't believe that is the case with ESPN TV. Sometimes they forget that we can see the game.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:41 pm

It may sound sexist, but her being a woman has a lot to do with it for me. I guess I'd rather just listen to a dude talk about football. I'm the same way for women's athletics; I don't watch, but I'd probably rather have a woman calling the action there because that's the target audience.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:26 pm

Eric wrote:It may sound sexist, but her being a woman has a lot to do with it for me. I guess I'd rather just listen to a dude talk about football. I'm the same way for woman's athletics; I don't watch, but I'd probably rather have a woman calling the action there because that's the target audience.

Not only does is sound sexist, I think it is...no comment if that is good or bad...The local station here for the Mariners, Elise Woodward does an excellent job on the Mariners and the Huskies.

...and then there was the fabulous sports babe...oh...you said...wom..... :lol:

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:03 pm

donovan wrote:
Eric wrote:It may sound sexist, but her being a woman has a lot to do with it for me. I guess I'd rather just listen to a dude talk about football. I'm the same way for woman's athletics; I don't watch, but I'd probably rather have a woman calling the action there because that's the target audience.

Not only does is sound sexist, I think it is...no comment if that is good or bad...The local station here for the Mariners, Elise Woodward does an excellent job on the Mariners and the Huskies.

...and then there was the fabulous sports babe...oh...you said...wom..... :lol:
I agree with Eric on this, but I think it may have more to do with credibility of a female broadcasting a mens' sport. Of course, there are exceptions to this.

And I think the Fabulous Sports Babe was great at what she did and probably had the knowledge to do play by play. TV is not her best venue for some reason.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:35 pm

RazorHawk wrote:

And I think the Fabulous Sports Babe was great at what she did and probably had the knowledge to do play by play. TV is not her best venue for some reason.

She was on before wide screens. 8)

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:42 pm

http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2009/ncaa_ ... eball.html (link to the College World Series Bracket). Click on the center to get a list of the world series games: mathups, date, and times. Enjoy...and Go Hogs!
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:58 am

I do not like women announcers in sports, in general. And I have searched my depths, all 3 inches, to figure out why. I think it is because sports is where the boys often gather together. Generally their just isn't many alto or soprano voices wafting in the air. So when I hear a female voice I start worrying that a discussion about shoes or a sale is on the wise!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:42 am

As far as the actual baseball goes I am personally cheering for Arkansas and Southern Miss in Omaha. Arkansas because they are always pretty darn good but never seem to break through and I just love how most years there is a Cinderella (Southern Miss this year) in Omaha.

Of course of all the possible championship matchups Arkansas-USM probably has the longest odds of actually happening.

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:33 am

WoVeU wrote:I do not like women announcers in sports, in general. And I have searched my depths, all 3 inches, to figure out why. I think it is because sports is where the boys often gather together. Generally their just isn't many alto or soprano voices wafting in the air. So when I hear a female voice I start worrying that a discussion about shoes or a sale is on the wise!

Amen to that.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Hogs beating cal state Fullerton 10-4 in the 8th inning. Wilkins is having a huge post season for hogs: in 6 games batting close to .600, 5 hr's, 17 RBI's, and 10 runs. Hogs have not lost a game in post season play yet.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Dossenator wrote:Hogs beating cal state Fullerton 10-4 in the 8th inning. Wilkins is having a huge post season for hogs: in 6 games batting close to .600, 5 hr's, 17 RBI's, and 10 runs. Hogs have not lost a game in post season play yet.
Yep, I've been watching it.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Wooo Pig!!!! Hogs win game one. This is a dangerous hog team...they were ranked #1 in the country in the middle of the season. At that time they played #1 Arizona State (in other polls were ranked #1)...hogs swept Arizona State. Then the conference slide started....Hogs lost 8 out of 10 after that to SEC play. Hogs have not lost in post season play...won the Oklahoma regional in 3, won the Florida State super regional in 2, and just took down Cal State Fullerton.

Hogs play winner of the LSU vs Virginia game. LSU is tough...hogs went 1-2 vs LSU this season.

Can't wait for Monday.

Return to “General Discussion”