USC Raises the Bar again!!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:52 pm

Congrats Rich. Looks like y'all will be reloading again. I see you're still in denial that Texas is good. That's okay.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:42 pm

I could name a number of head coaches who were not that good early in their careers as asst. coaches. Former Buckeye asst. coaches who were less then incredible early on: Nick Sabin, Pete Carrol, Lou Holtz, Urban Meyer, and even the great Paul Brown had some trouble early on in his coaching career.

Pete Carroll is a good head coach. The head coach is a reflection of his asst. coaches. What's more, Pete Carroll is an unbelievable recruiter. When you can get 8- 5* recruits to go to a team loaded with former 5* recruits in todays world, you are very good. Recruiting makes a good coach a great coach. In CFB it is all about recruiting.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:32 am

It was funny, because both defenses had USC and Texas players playing on the same team. I bet there was a plethora of trash talked. I gotta give a shout out to Casey Hampton, for sacking the Seahawks quarterback. I also gotta shout out to DD Lewis (also a longhorn) for making such a clutch stop on the goalline, stopping Ben Roethlisberger from getting into the end zone, of course the refs were watching his helmet, not the ball, and called it a TD.

Wow, Rich, still bitter, I can see that you're trying to make an effort there buddy. Yeah, we do have to worry about Oklahoma, ya know why, cause we actually have good teams on our schedule. Makes it a little tougher to go undefeated. When we do beat our rival, I guarun-dam-tee you our runningback doesn't need to cheat on the final play of the game.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:27 pm

".........i tell you to watch out for ou because they are a real team, with a real coach, who constantly steal the best texas players, and they will be a good team next season

Oklahoma will make some noise next year. I think Nebraska may be able to make some as well. I think Nebraska is the sleeper in CFB next season. They are gettting close to having the players to succeed again. They also have the schedule to really do some damage in the polls next season.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:02 pm

RICHE! USC Lost, still not accepting it I see. It's okay, I'll be right back, I'm going to go look at my TEXAS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP T-shirts again.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:16 am

Actually I own two of them! Besides Riche, you only have one year that you won the national championship game. No disputing that. You might have been awarded another national champion. But remember, that is the same media that awarded Gore the electoral votes in Florida. USC's record in National Championship games 1-1. Texas' record 1-0! How do you like them apples?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:44 pm

Ohio State is 1-0 too, but wouldn't it be nice to have the opportunity to go 1-1. :D

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:41 pm

thanks to us, ya gotta wait another year!

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:12 am

Rich wrote:maybe in world yeofoot they only have one title, but here in the real world, they have two. i have the t-shirt to prove it. they look so good side by side. cant wait to put the third one next to em.

One. You cant claim to respect the BCS when you only go along with them if you agree with how they treat your team. It's kinda like the country, we dont have the option of obeying certain laws just because we think they are just or not.

The same thing applies here. USC cannot justly stand up in 2004 and hold aloft the BCS trophy after killing Oklahoma in the championship game, when they trashed that same trophy and the system that picked them to be in that game one year earlier.

Kinda hypocritical. IMO
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:19 pm

David wrote:
Rich wrote: with todays system...USC would have been chosen to go to the title game against lsu instead of ou

Only thing your failing to acknowledge here is that LSU would have won the AP trophy also. LSU's defense would have had a field day against USC in the Sugar Bowl.

I agree. The 2003 USC team was not a good as the team that dis-assembled Oklahoma.

If LSU and USC would have played. The outcome would be the same, and the OK team of 03 was a little stronger than the 04 team.

Just an opinion....

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:46 pm

I love how the AP points out the "flawed" system. And how USC refuses to remember losing to Cal. Everyone knew what they needed to do to get to the national championship game at the beginning of the '03 season. USC didn't get the job done. The BCS formula intended to get rid of end of season human bias, by ensuring every game counted the same. You go into a season with a different strategy if how good you are at the end of the season is what counts. You condition your team harder early in the season. But if every game matters, you have to find a balance, where you make your team sustainably as good as possible. USC should not be rewarded by playing by their own rules. They might have been the second best team at the end of the season, but they did not have the second best season, OU did. Saying that USC would play in the NC game now that the rules are different is like saying the the Bulls didn't really win all those NBA titles because the Knicks were shooting from further from the 3 point line, and if they were using the 3-point line from today's game, the Bulls wouldn't have even made it there. It's a retarded argument. LSU didn't share the title. I'll be forever rooting against the University of Spoiled Children.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:26 pm

Rich wrote:we can hold up the back to back ap trophys though...cant we. we can also raise the bcs trophy now, because the correct changes were made in the bcs system to ensure that the bias in favour of the big 12 was taken out. with todays system...USC would have been chosen to go to the title game against lsu instead of ou, and oregon would have been chosen to go to the title game against miami instead of nebraska. before the changes, the system was screwed up, a problem recognized by the ap and any knowledgable ncaa football fan. but whatever, you can hate. i dont blame you, being a georgia fan and all.

It has nothing to do with me being a Georgia fan.....

"ecause the correct changes were made in the bcs system to ensure that the bias in favour of the big 12 was taken out."

Also incorrect. The "changes" that you refer to were to basically appease the public, because they could not stomach allowing the computers, in an unbiased manner, pick the championship game.

And the reason for this was because of SOS. If you have 1 maybe 2 teams a year that would be considered "National Caliber" teams, then your going to be penalized in the rankings because you NEVER get tested.

Last year (04) it was USC and California. The year before that (03) it was USC. And the year before that (02) it was Oregon. It's always 1 or 2 teams. It's amazing how it moves around. :-)

This is typical of the PAC-10, not taking anything away from those teams, but when your conference is a weak as the PAC-10, the computers will penalize you, when your conference play does not "historically" stand up to the SEC or Big 10 and their conference opponents.

SO...the changes basically removed the computers from doing their jobs......THERE WAS NO FORUMLA for giving precedent to any Big 12 team. You could not even program that over 6 different computer programs and get away with it.

The computers simply called it as they saw it, and some schools fans just cant handle the truth. Period.

- John Madden

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:58 pm

The USC argument:

We're the greates team of all time. We be the crap out of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma shouldn't have been playing in that game, they sucked, they just got in because the BCS favors the Big 12.

So by that rationale, USC wasn't that good, OU just sucked, right? By USC's own admition, they weren't that good.

My argument says USC was really good this last season, hence we're awesome because we beat you.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:56 pm

Ok, that was way too long to read all of, so let me say this

The Big 12 has two outright national champions in the last 5 years. How are we overrated?

We're a superconference. The southwest conference and the big 8 were very powerful conferences, it makes sense that they would have a lot of representatives in the BCS. Just like the Big 10 acquiring PSU.

Imagine of the top 4 schools from the Pac-10 joined another BCS conference, you'd have a lot more representation in the title game.

PS: USC sucks!

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:28 am

Rich wrote:lsu deserves the bcs trophy they got. its not their fault they were handed yet another weak, fake, overinflated, big 12 team like poor miami was. i respect lsu's claim. the problem is, that most people dont even remember them because even though they had a great defense, their offense was not very good at all...a typical slow, poorly coached, inconsistent, sec offense. USC was hitting on all cylinders by the end of the season, and tore up a comparable michigan defense. it would have been a good game, but i doubt that lsu would have won. as far as the changes to the bcs system not being the correct one, despite all the problems, and evidence, and the fact that hind sight is 20/20, for you to even say that the changes were to "Appease" rather then to fix, shows that you are in a conf that benefits from a broken system, and that you dont really care about the system being correct, you just care that your team benefits or is not put at a disadvantage from that broken system. you could care less if that "weak" pac 10 conf out there in the west is being screwed over. i bet you didnt bat an eye when oregon was passed over to go to the national title game, and big 12 3rd place nebraska went instead...and i bet you didnt raise your eye brows when oklahoma, who got blasted by a number 12 kansas team the last game of the season, didnt drop one place in the bcs poll, even though USC lost their only game the fourth game of the seaon (the season they opened with a 23-0 pounding over #7 auburn, AT auburn, but the pac 10 cant stand up to the sec LOL), in triple over time, at berkley, by a field goal. i bet these things didnt bother you, and i know why, because you know nothing about the pac 10, never, or rarely watch the pac 10 teams play unless its against sec teams (which the pac 10 holds a one game adv over the sec this decade in head to head play). this leads you to not like the pac 10, because you dislike what you dont know. like most folks in the south east, you are ignorant of the pac 10. this, in mind, invalidates anything you have to say, because its not based in any actual fact, or logic. all you care about is the sec, not the health of colleg football. most georgia fans (whose team NEVER play any big opponenets out of conf, and almost NEVER plays away out of conf games) will never fully understand the big pix of college football, cause in these neck of da woods, only the sec counts.

p.s. oh yea yeofoote...this was for you as well....this doesnt add up to a "second best season"...now does it??

when oklahoma, who got blasted by a number 12 kansas team the last game of the season, didnt drop one place in the bcs poll, even though USC lost their only game the fourth game of the seaon (the season they opened with a 23-0 pounding over #7 auburn, AT auburn, but the pac 10 cant stand up to the sec LOL), in triple over time, at berkley, by a field goal.

Yeah...That was way too long. :lol:

But I will respond to the one point you made about me not caring about the system being correct. I disagree!!!!

The system will NOT be fixed until we have a playoff OR the human polls are pulled completely out of the mix and allow the BCS computers to do their job.

And the SEC does NOT benefit from the current system. There were many years that people like ND, Michigan, or any other popular program with a long history of greatness benefited and would recieve the national championship whether they were the best team or not.

The south is notoriously overlooked by many college football fans in the country...

Someone please examine the insanity of GT having to share the National title with Colarado after only having a tie. While Col had a loss and only beat ND(I believe) by 3 points it their bowl game.....GT "killed" Virgina 45-20(?) and they did not get the AP's Championship.....

And some of you wonder WHY the BCS was created???? Come on....

The south is notoriously overlooked, and the fact that you might not see that, is just proof of the complaint that many, not just me, in the south have.

And "the fact that the Pac-10 is being "screwed" over" is not true....They simply penalize when a team you play in a weak conference....Does not matter if USC is the best team in the country or not, and they are definately in the top 2 last year.

You cant complain about our Out of Conference schedule when your conference schedule doesn't test a team as good as USC either.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”