If you could change one play...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

If you could change one play...

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:23 pm

If you could change one play this season what would it be?
I'd stop Bush from having his heisman highlight run. Why, cause I'm a hater, and my team is undefeated.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:53 pm

Boy, can I relate to that one. Great post. Hurricane Fraces whacked us last year and we still don't have everything back to normal. The blue plastic has long been gone, though and the interior is almost complete. Still have landscaping and fence to replace 16 months after the fact. Homeowners Insurance cos. are a pain in the neck.

This past season was rough on LSU, but even worse on Tulane and not very kind to Southern Miss either. Even Utah State was affected. They had to drop the game against Nicholls State (La.) at the start of the year.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:56 pm

If I could change one play within a game, it would be the punt return against us by FSU in the ACC C'ship game. That just seemed to really kill our chances in that game as it kickstarted a quick scoring outburst by them. And it was so lame on our part. The returner was hemmed in on the sideline and we let him get back to the open field. That one play really sticks in my mind as a terrible letdown by my Hokies.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:05 pm

it's always interesting to see how these discussions evolve.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:09 pm

And I wasn't trying to minimize the affect it had on LSU either. I agree with everything you said. It's just amazing how the weather screwed up so much football, and life in general of course.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:53 pm

I agree that run against Fresno State was lame.
I'd change the Michigan Nebraska play so that Michigan scores, which they should have done.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:15 pm

I would have Ryan Hamby catch the ball in the endzone during the Texas game. It would have put the game out of reach and we would have won. Maybe if we would have won that game it would have motivated Ohio State to beat Penn St. later on. If not I would like to change 2 plays please. :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:18 pm

Ok, only one play?
I guess I'd have to say the play that gave Michigan win over Penn State.
Why?
Because I like controvesrsy.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:35 pm

If I had to pick a play to change, I'd change the 4th and long for USC when they played the Irish. I bet 9 times out of 10 the cornerback makes the swat down, and that could mean that Penn State would be in the title game. But, then there would be unecessary controversy. Had that happened, I think Penn State would've deserved to be in the Rose Bowl.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:56 pm

Spence, I was waiting for the Ryan Hamby comment. Then the Mich vs PSU comment. I lost my mind when I he dropped that. Poor kid. What sucks, is the fans remember it being the last play of the 4th quarter.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:25 pm

Well, it's hard to pin a season down on one play, but one everyone seems to have overlooked is USC's last second win over Notre Dame.
Actually, there were several last second plays that determined the outcomes of games this year.
Texas Tech beat Nebraska on the last play. I guess every overtime in I-A is decided on the last play, and there were a lot of OTs.
But I guess given how I live in Colorado, I think one play I'd like to change is the play where Colorado threw an interception to Iowa State, when they were in position to score and take the lead, late in the game.
That game had HUGE ramifications, not only for Colorado, but for Texas Christian, as if Colorado beats Iowa State, they in all likelihood are headed to the Houston bowl, not Iowa State, to play TCU.
And that would have been a better pairing of teams, in my book.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:18 pm

I would have changed the play where Wisconsin blocked Minnesota's punt to cap off their great comeback in that game. If Minnesota wins that game then the whole Big Ten bowl picture below the BCS games could have looked differently. As it is right now the Big Ten still hasn't won a bowl game.

Originally I was going to say Akron getting stopped on the goal line by Ball State on the last play of the game allowing the Cardnials to upset my Zips by 6 points. As it turns out, though, we did still win the conference championship game so I guess it didn't really hurt too bad.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:39 am

Guess not, but a loss to Ball State is a loss to Ball State. You know, the MAC is the most odd of any conference. A team that lost to Ball State and get shut out by Army can bounce back and beat NIU twice to win the MAC.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:07 am

Hamby didn't deserve the treatment he got from some "buckeye fans" after the game. Ohio State lost that game as a team. Fumbles and bad QB play lost that game for Ohio State. Vince Young coming of age in the game didn't help either. Young made a few mistakes, but he played with conviction in that game and I really think he turned the corner from athlete ot QB in that game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:03 pm

You're certainly right there Eric. That seems to be a characteristic of the MAC in both football and basketball. Often times the national media and fans see a record posted by a MAC school and don't realize how much talent and depth actually resides in this conference in both sports. In both sports, it seems that the top teams can tend to be vulnerable to in-conference upsets. Some see this as a weakness of the teams at the top but I genuinely believe it is a statement of the strength of the teams at the bottom and the overall parity of the teams in the conference. (This is probably even more true in basketball than football but it does apply to both).

Return to “General Discussion”