Worst Schedules played by Wire Service Champions

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:14 am

Oh, Spence, how could you have missed it?

I read through this, and it baffles me, that one could possibly attempt to garner credibility for a team, because they beat someone with a 3-7-1 record.

I don't understand.

Pitt being ranked #3 only shows how much of a lapse in judgement preseason voters can have.

If a team is early ranked #3, but finishes 3-7-1, it means they were overrated to begin with.

Then you try to show a contrast, by compring BYU'swin over #3 Pitt in 1984, is on the same level as Texas beating #3 Ohio State in Columbus last year.

To say there is no differnce in the two is absurd, and irresponsible.

1984 #3 Pitt finished 3-7-1
2005 #3 Ohio State finished 10-2

Which team do you think deserved its ranking more?

BYU didn't beat a team who was worthy of a #3 ranking.

Texas, on-the-other-hand, did.

The facts speak for themselves.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re:

Postby Spence » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:19 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:Oh, Spence, how could you have missed it?

This is all I said I was on board with...
Obviously they have a lot of work to do before they will be getting a BCS invitation.

As for the argument.....Sometimes I just don't have it in me. :?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Re:

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:30 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:Oh, Spence, how could you have missed it?

I read through this, and it baffles me, that one could possibly attempt to garner credibility for a team, because they beat someone with a 3-7-1 record.
He didn't. Pitt and Ohio St. both were ranked #3 when they played the eventual national champions, both teams lost.

Cane from the Bend wrote:I don't understand.
I agree.

Cane from the Bend wrote:Pitt being ranked #3 only shows how much of a lapse in judgement preseason voters can have.

If a team is early ranked #3, but finishes 3-7-1, it means they were overrated to begin with.
I don't really care what kind of 'logic' you try to apply, the fact remains, Pitt was ranked #3 overall when BYU played (and beat) them, 20-14 in their own backyard. Everything else you say, is inconsequential, in my opinion, and stupid to boot. Pitt ended the season by beating Penn St. Tell me how that enters into your twisted logic, if you can.

Cane from the Bend wrote:Then you try to show a contrast, by compring BYU'swin over #3 Pitt in 1984, is on the same level as Texas beating #3 Ohio State in Columbus last year.

To say there is no differnce in the two is absurd, and irresponsible.

1984 #3 Pitt finished 3-7-1
2005 #3 Ohio State finished 10-2

Which team do you think deserved its ranking more?
Pitt's final record, was 4-7-1, not 3-7-1, you are mistaken. Secondly, we are comparing two teams, that have little bearing on each other, generally speaking, but they did play in the 1984 Fiesta Bowl, OSU beat Pitt 28-23.

Cane from the Bend wrote:BYU didn't beat a team who was worthy of a #3 ranking.

Texas, on-the-other-hand, did.

The facts speak for themselves.
Tell that to those who voted Pittsburgh #3, then, dont' come crying to me about it, just to make a point.

Return to “General Discussion”