What's the worst game involving your team that you ever saw?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:06 pm

Georgia-Florida

Nov. 2002.....Both teams played like total crap. :(

Dawgs were on the national championship path that year, and this game blew it, opening the door for Ohio State to take it from Miami.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:17 pm

I love BC...their 1993 win over the Irish at Notre Dame (and that has to count as a sad one for Irish fans) let FSU play for and win the NC.

Go Eagles!!
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:09 pm

If you lose at home at the end of the season ...you drop in the ranks...

FSU also only lost one game..on the road to ND...

It's the body of work of the season, not any one game...FSU did beat the SEC Champ Florida, an 11 game winner...the ACC Champ, NC a 10 game winner...and finished by beating the Big 12 Champ an 11 game winner.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:38 pm

The NCAA has nothing to do with it. The NCAA doesn't sanction or control bowl games.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:12 pm

No, the NCAA does not officially sanction Bowl games.

Though, they did have a hand at helping to form the BCS.
And, if your program is under NCAA restrictions, the NCAA can declair your team inelligible to play in a Bowl game.

I now you don't like the answer, Irish88. But here it is.

What the voters saw:

#1 Florida St
vs.
#2 ND

The game went down to the wire. FSU nearlypulled out the win in the closing seconds. But ND won.

Next week:

#1 Notre Dame
vs.
(3 loss) Boston College

This game also came down to the wire. oston College had the lad throughout the game. ND came back in th last couple of minute to take the lead (and seemingly momentu). But, Boston College perservered, and kickd a game winning field goal in the closing seconds.

Analysis-

FSU went from ranked #1 to #2 after losing to ND.
Since ND lost the next week, to an unranked team, FSU is back in the #1 ranked position.

Who did FSU lose to.
A #2 rankd irish team, in a shootout.

The voters lokke at it like this.

The game vs. nd and fsu could have went to either team.
Yes, nd won it, but the closeness of the score kept fsu ranked in a position to take the #1 ranking back.

Face to face is a good messuring stick, but, when you lose, the team under you moves up in the polls.

Had nd beat fsu by, say, 2 touchowns or more, then fsu would have dropped considerably lower in the national polls, and nd would have most likely play for the national championship.

One thing has always been consistant of the National title.

Whereever the #1 team in the country is playing (Bowl game wise), that is the location of the national championship.
Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:15 pm

How about the 2002 Fiesta Bowl Cane? Tempe isn't close to Miami or Ohio.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:27 pm

Yeah, but he was asking for the worst peformance by both teams, where you school lost.

And, seeing as how Ohio St played the same way in the Fiesta Bowl that they had all year... that game doesn't count.

I would say, biggest disappointment where both teams sucked, would have to be last year against fsu.

We hd them beat in every catagory statisticly, had over 150 yards more on offense, and still lost because of a bad snap on a fieldgoal attempt. On the flippin' 15 yard line.

To boot, we gave up a record of nine sacks in a single game.
Which also was a new school record of sacks for fsu.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:50 pm

Sorry man, I was was way off topic. I didn't look at the topic before I clicked.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:52 pm

irish88 wrote:i got to thinking - how bout Boston College losing to Syracuse in 2004.
BC had their ticket punched to a BCS bowl/winning the Big East, instead they lose to Syracuse @ home in the last game of the season. this loss meant pittsburgh represented the Big East ( got crushed by Utah ). Think of how much money BC lost by losing to Syracuse. i think they ended up in the san fransisco diamond walnut bowl instead. if memory serves me right Syracuse only had like 3 wins going in to that game. Diamond Ferri played both ways for Syracuse that day and lit up the Eagles. as one announcer says " that's why they play the game ".
BC played in the Continental Tire Bowl, against UNC. They won, 47-34.

BC did in fact play in the Emerald Bowl, against Colorado St, but not in 2004. They won, in fact, in a relatively entertaining game.

I wouldn't argue too hard on the 'merits' of a team that cant' beat Wake Forest , if their life depended on it. Pittsburgh was a better team, at any rate, and I thought represented themselves fairly well, albeit against a much better team (Utah). Utah also played UNC, and won, early in the year. UNC was 6-6, end of year, not exactly what I'd call 'impressive'.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:11 pm

If I recall, Kiawanuka had a really big game in that one. Syracuse got hammered in the Champs Sports Bowl that year.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:38 pm

Eric wrote:If I recall, Kiawanuka had a really big game in that one. Syracuse got hammered in the Champs Sports Bowl that year.
Which resulted in the firing of Paul P. (sorry I can't spell his last name).
Pasquerelli?

Syracuse, beat Pitt, lost to Temple. As I recall, they were in the driver's seat, before losing to them, so they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Pittsburgh captured the Big East title by beating W. Virginia, BC, and nearly every other Big East contender. Losing to UConn, given how good UConn was (7-5 overall) really wasn't so bad, IMO.

Pittsburgh then smashed USF, who was C-USA but still a relatively good team, to secure themselves a BCS spot. BC, simply wasn't good enough.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:19 pm

It's spelled, Pasqualoni. :wink:

P.S. I couldn't spell his name either, :oops: had to look it up. :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:26 pm

Even if it is wrong, I like CLF's spelling better. :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:40 pm

Has anyone heard of where he's at? Is he an assisstant somewhere in college football? I'll do a search on him in a minute.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:42 pm

That's right, he took a job with the Dallas Cowboys.

Do you think he'd be interested in coaching at the D1 level ever again?

Return to “General Discussion”