I Don’t Know What is Going On In Morgantown…

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

I Don’t Know What is Going On In Morgantown…

Postby Mountainman » Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:32 pm

……. but things seemed odd during the post-game pressers after the game yesterday. Neal Brown appeared anxious, short and antsy after Garrett Greene saved his butt against Kansas.

Hmmmm, probably nothing to it except my wishful thinking, but you know there’s a lot of TV’s between the Washington/Baltimore Metroplex and the Weirton/Steubenville Rustbelt, and if the Mountaineers ain’t winning, they ain’t watching.

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: I Don’t Know What is Going On In Morgantown…

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:00 pm

I listened to Neal Brown’s presser today……… and I gotta say it was the absolute best I’ve ever heard from him.

Still, this is year six of his tenure and the Mountaineers have won 2 more games than they’ve lost during his time as their Head Coach, that’s disappointing……… and every game on the remainder of the schedule this season is a challenge, no gimmes or cupcakes.

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:17 pm

He better figure it out soon though.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:10 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------

Can things get established in time for the rest of the season ..?

The Big XII has been ... ... ... interesting, to follow.

BYU looked suspect early, but seems to have rerighted the ship. Utah has the talent to run the conference, though, if Cam Rising isn't the guy under center, then they struggle. Colorado is emerging as a conference contender.

However, none of them show up on West Virginia's schedule. Meaning the only way they face those teams, is if they meet in the Big XII Championship.

Are the Mountaineers in a place to fix all of the issues, or at least enough of them, going forward into their conference schedule ..?

@ Oklahoma State = The vulnerabilities have shown; K. State controlled the game from start to finish, winning by 22. the Cowboys scored late to make it that close. The `Eers have them this weekend, while they're still licking their wounds.

Home vs #16 Iowa State = Looking like the class of the Big XII right now; West Va gets the in Morgantown, and the competition for the Cyclones, outside of the Hawkeyes, has been pretty miserable. The last two opponents Arkansas St & Houston barely have a pulse. And while their next game is vs Baylor who gave it the Ole College Try against BYU and Colorado, they are pitiful. So, ISU will have played 3 terrible teams before traveling Country Roads. Will the lack of competitive opposition lull them to complacency.

Home vs #20 Kansas State = Okay, these guys do look good. And I do not believe what happened against BYU is necessarily indicative of who the are. I think they ran into a windstorm in a Provo night game, and, once they got behind,just got thrown off their game, which propelled BYU's momentum. They rebounded against Okie State, showing they weren't going to let one game break them. Their next two games are both on the road, next up, Colorado. With the Buffs showing they can actually function as a team, this could be fun to watch. Depending on how that game goes, could change the dynamic of what the intensity will be going into Morgantown.

@ Arizona = Their season is being judged on two games. How they played against Kansas State, and how they played against Utah. They showed up and flexed in Salt Lake City. Beating Utah was something unexpected, and they did it by out gritting the Utes. That was supposed to be Utah's strength, how tough they were to play heads up physically with. And that's the game the Wildcats gave `em. No flash n dash, no finesse. Just line up, and beat them on the lines. Maybe, Utah without Cam Rising doesn't give them the extra element to account for. Still, Utah's D did not step up and win the day. How they played against Kansas State, however, was a mess. Which team shows up in Tuscan when the Mountaineers come to visit will be something to watch.

@ Cincinnati = An actual Conference Game in the Same Time Zone/Region. What a Novel concept, right? They, like the `Eers, lost a close one to Pitt. Outside of that, they lost a close one to the Red Raiders in Lubbock this past Saturday. Other than that, they have wins over Miami of Ohio and Houston. So, really not a great measuring stick. For West Va, it's an actual road game that isn't in a different area of the country. Something I suspect which has impacted their success since joining the Big XII.

Home vs Baylor = I hope both of these teams can pull it together by the tie they meet. If the Bears continue their current trend of coming up bust, Dave Aranda may not even be the coach by the time they get to this game. Of course, as bad as things have gotten for Baylor, this could make it a dangerous game for the Mountaineers, because them boys from Waco may not have anything to lose.

Home vs UCF = They were looking decent, until they got swatted by Colorado in the Bounce House. If the Buffaloes were going to turn a page and start climbing the ladder; you do not want to be the team to be their catapult. And you certainly do not want to have that happen in your own house. The Knights will have the opportunity to "Bounce Back". They play the Gators in Gainesville, which is closer than any road conference game to home. Here's UCF's chance to show they are taking the next step as a Power Conference team, by beating one of the Big 3, in state {albeit a lowly version of themselves}. Winning this could be their turning point, and something that may propel them towards a successful second half of the season. However, they have games vs Iowa State, BYU and Arizona in a three week stretch. The game against West Virginia will replace the War On I-4 game vs USF.

@ Texas Tech = I don't know what to think of these guys. Probably, because I don't know what to think of their opposition up to this point. The Red Raiders are 4-1. Their 1 loss is to Washington State, who beat them soundly, but won the games they did in desperation fashion. I was thinking the Wazzu looked a bit like TCU with Max Duggan on their run to the National Championship game. The the Cougars got their doors blown off in Boise. So, TT's competition up to this point has been, perplexing, to follow. What shapes up for the Red Raiders in their 4 games leading up to West Virginia coming to visit, will tell us a lot more. They have a 4 week stretch of TCU, Iowa State, Colorado and Oklahoma State. Not just how they look in those games, but, what shape the team will be in by the time they face the Mountaineers might be the story.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Mountainman » Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:07 am

The Mountaineers have issues with the back end of their defense, they also have a mobile, scrambling, playmaking gunslinger at quarterback……… Brown’s approach has been to keep the gunslinger in the pocket handing the ball off and drop back passing in order to protect the back side of the defense by keeping them off the field.

We’ll see coming out of the bye week if the issue has been fixed or does he continue to try to put makeup on a monkey’s butt.

………and of course, there is history that lead to this that sets squarely in Neal Brown’s lap, a guy who both Derek and Cain are probably familiar with, and is currently with the Buffalo Bills. :oops: :oops: :oops:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:58 pm

In my experience sooner or later you have to play defense and if you can't it is painful.

Mountainman
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Mountainman » Thu Oct 03, 2024 12:42 pm

……..it’s just me, this guy rubs me the wrong way, he’s got some BS for everything.

Mountainman
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Mountainman » Fri Oct 04, 2024 12:36 pm

Well, here I am…… yet again PO’d. I really need to stop watching and listening to Kneel Brown’s pressers and media clips. Listening to him make statements like, ‘We do not need to be playing two Power Four Teams to open the season’……. and the first thing that comes to mind is, “WHY THE HELL NOT???”, and why would you not want to play the likes of Pitt and Penn State?????? Pitt vs WVU, about 70 miles apart, is one of, maybe the oldest rivalry in the nation, and both recruit the same talent rich area. And why not Penn State, year end and year out one of the upper crush teams in the nation, and they’ll show you where your program actually is. How in the name of John Brown is playing another team like Albany, who you played this season, going to help get you ready for your conference schedule????

Does Kneel Brown not realize that in today’s world of College Football the most important thing that matters is HOW WELL YOU PERFORM IN CONFERENCE!!! Win your conference and you’re in the College Football Playoff, do well in your conference and you got a shot at getting in.

Does anyone think for more than a millisecond that Georgia is not getting in the CFP because they lost to Alabama?????? Good Grief!!!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:06 pm

Mountainman wrote:……..it’s just me, this guy rubs me the wrong way, he’s got some BS for everything.

I guess that is the job now.

Mountainman
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Mountainman » Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:20 pm

Here comes the Cyclones from Iowa State sporting a 5 and 0 record to pay the Mountaineers a visit at night in Morgantown……… 8)

Don’t know much about ‘em, but they always have been well coached, physical and play really good defense. They’re ranked 11th in the AP Poll, tied with Notre Dame for that spot. I see they beat their in state rival, Iowa 20-19, while the other 4 wins were against North Dakota, Arkansas State, Houston and Baylor………. it appears it’s going to be a challenge for the Mountaineers, who played better last week against an Oklahoma State team that, so far, is simply and unusually not very good this season.

Of note, the Mountaineer Defense has not been good so far this season, the Defensive Coordinator for the Mountaineers has moved off the sideline and into the Press Box. During a game a couple of weeks ago he got literally knocked out while calling the defensive sets from the sideline……. he claimed the sideline is just too chaotic and he couldn’t see what was going on across the field at that level which affected his play calling. I will admit, the defense looked and played much better last week. Until last weekend, the defense hasn’t been playing pass defense, they’ve been chasing receivers.

We’ll see……. It’s past time for a Neal Brown coached team to beat a good opponent,

This is what a Mountainman is thinking about at 11:55 pm while watching Utah and Arizona State and the bourbon kicks in. :x

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Oct 12, 2024 12:57 am

Mountainman wrote:Here comes the Cyclones from Iowa State sporting a 5 and 0 record to pay the Mountaineers a visit at night in Morgantown……… 8)

Don’t know much about ‘em, but they always have been well coached, physical and play really good defense. They’re ranked 11th in the AP Poll, tied with Notre Dame for that spot. I see they beat their in state rival, Iowa 20-19, while the other 4 wins were against North Dakota, Arkansas State, Houston and Baylor………. it appears it’s going to be a challenge for the Mountaineers, who played better last week against an Oklahoma State team that, so far, is simply and unusually not very good this season.

Of note, the Mountaineer Defense has not been good so far this season, the Defensive Coordinator for the Mountaineers has moved off the sideline and into the Press Box. During a game a couple of weeks ago he got literally knocked out while calling the defensive sets from the sideline……. he claimed the sideline is just too chaotic and he couldn’t see what was going on across the field at that level which affected his play calling. I will admit, the defense looked and played much better last week. Until last weekend, the defense hasn’t been playing pass defense, they’ve been chasing receivers.

We’ll see……. It’s past time for a Neal Brown coached team to beat a good opponent,

This is what a Mountainman is thinking about at 11:55 pm while watching Utah and Arizona State and the bourbon kicks in. :x .

At least this ASU/Utah game is competitive ...

All the other Week Day games have been blowouts, save for the Tuesday Night FIU/Liberty match up. And I didn't even know that one was on, until after the fact.

Rising being less than optimal is not helping. 2 Interceptions already. One of which killed a drive that had a bunch of potential.

Utes just got into the end zone to take a 16-13 lead, late in the 3rd.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Mountainman » Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:17 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Here comes the Cyclones from Iowa State sporting a 5 and 0 record to pay the Mountaineers a visit at night in Morgantown……… 8)

This is what a Mountainman is thinking about at 11:55 pm while watching Utah and Arizona State and the bourbon kicks in. :x .

At least this ASU/Utah game is competitive ...

All the other Week Day games have been blowouts, save for the Tuesday Night FIU/Liberty match up. And I didn't even know that one was on, until after the fact.

Rising being less than optimal is not helping. 2 Interceptions already. One of which killed a drive that had a bunch of potential.

Utes just got into the end zone to take a 16-13 lead, late in the 3rd.

That’ll be the BigXII’s niche for a while. Playing and marketing competitive, close and entertaining games. What I’m liking about the Conference Members and especially Brett Yormark is they appear to accept the reality of where they are while working to elevate the conference as a whole to get teams in the National Conversation. The man is definitely a ‘Shaker and a Mover’ and so far has shown he’s good at knowing when to shake and when to move.

8)

Mountainman
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Mountainman » Sun Oct 13, 2024 1:05 pm

:shock: Same ole story……. blown secondary coverage for an uncontested catch and run early for a Cyclone TD, poor offensive execution in the red zone and turnovers.

It’s’ Football 101, on how do things to help your opponents win football games…… like not subbing for a Center who’s snapping the ball all over the place. :shock:

We have met the enemy……. and he is us.

:roll:

Mountainman
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Mountainman » Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:03 pm

Here it is, Monday morning and I’m still PO’d, so it’s time to BLOW OFF SOME STEAM…. bottom line, Neal Brown gotta’ go!!!!!

BUT…….. since the previous Athletic Director saw fit to GIVE, since he didn’t EARN IT, not only a contract extension, but a Guaranteed Contract Extension, that said ‘you get the entire worth of the contract if you’re ’fired’. Not long after, and not surprisingly, the Athletic Director was fired and then ran around all over the state on radio and TV looking pitiful while saying ‘I have no idea why I was fired, nobody told me anything.’ Whine, whine, whine…….. you reckon he’s figured it out yet????? It’ll cost multimillions to fire Neal Brown, so we’re probably stuck with Neal Brown.

WVU is a .500 Football Team during Neal Brown’s tenure……. are the Mountaineers getting better and making progress under Brown’s leadership????? Not ‘NO’ but ‘HELL NO’. And so far this season??? You guessed it!!! Penn State, LOST, simply a better team. Albany, WON, Gimmie Game. Pitt, LOST, choked again. Kansas, WON, not a good team this year. Oklahoma State, WON, not a good team this year. Iowa State, LOST, good team, that proved once again that Neal Brown cannot THINK ON HIS FEET.

……….. and what really set me off, Neal Brown threw his players, called them out by NAME, under the bus during his post-game presser after the Iowa State game. THERE WAS NO WE OR US, IT WAS ALL ON THEM. Now riddle me this Coach…… when you were asked by the media about the snaps from Center being all over the place causing your QB, one of your players you threw under the bus, to look more like a Soccer Goalie than a QB in the shotgun formation, why did you say ‘He had an injured hand and trouble gripping the ball…’ instead of either subbing the center or simply move the QB under the Center?????

……..and with that, Your Honor,…… I rest my case.

Oh, I forgot to mention, guess who’s daddy was a star player for the Mountaineers a few years ago…….. the SOPHOMORE quarterback for the Iowa State Cyclones.

How’d that happen?????

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:19 pm

Mountainman wrote:Here it is, Monday morning and I’m still PO’d, so it’s time to BLOW OFF SOME STEAM…. bottom line, Neal Brown gotta’ go!!!!!

BUT…….. since the previous Athletic Director saw fit to GIVE, since he didn’t EARN IT, not only a contract extension, but a Guaranteed Contract Extension, that said ‘you get the entire worth of the contract if you’re ’fired’. Not long after, and not surprisingly, the Athletic Director was fired and then ran around all over the state on radio and TV looking pitiful while saying ‘I have no idea why I was fired, nobody told me anything.’ Whine, whine, whine…….. you reckon he’s figured it out yet????? It’ll cost multimillions to fire Neal Brown, so we’re probably stuck with Neal Brown.

WVU is a .500 Football Team during Neal Brown’s tenure……. are the Mountaineers getting better and making progress under Brown’s leadership????? Not ‘NO’ but ‘HELL NO’. And so far this season??? You guessed it!!! Penn State, LOST, simply a better team. Albany, WON, Gimmie Game. Pitt, LOST, choked again. Kansas, WON, not a good team this year. Oklahoma State, WON, not a good team this year. Iowa State, LOST, good team, that proved once again that Neal Brown cannot THINK ON HIS FEET.

……….. and what really set me off, Neal Brown threw his players, called them out by NAME, under the bus during his post-game presser after the Iowa State game. THERE WAS NO WE OR US, IT WAS ALL ON THEM. Now riddle me this Coach…… when you were asked by the media about the snaps from Center being all over the place causing your QB, one of your players you threw under the bus, to look more like a Soccer Goalie than a QB in the shotgun formation, why did you say ‘He had an injured hand and trouble gripping the ball…’ instead of either subbing the center or simply move the QB under the Center?????

……..and with that, Your Honor,…… I rest my case.

Coaches are responsible for how their team executes.

Return to “General Discussion”