Swofford as ACC Commisioner

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Swofford as ACC Commisioner

Postby billybud » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:01 am

America has taken an interesting and, I think, unfortunate turn.

The availability of dozens of talking heads, media pundits, 24 hour TV and the proliferation of social media has created a weird effect. We have fashioned the whole country in the image of football.

Liberals and conservatives, democrats and republicans don't talk differences regarding national issues but rather foment against each other as if they were Alabama and Auburn fans. It is a constant media war played out with the social media being the insurgent troops. Cheering for our side and demonizing the other. It has become a toxic rivalry.

Saw yesterday that some folks (led by Al Sharpton) were decrying that the autopsy report was let out in the Ferguson case. They said that it was an attempt to provide pressure on a future grand jury to not indict. While at the same time there have been constant demonstrations in Ferguson designed to force such an indictment. It is another case of fans wanting their outcome and trying to influence the officiating.

While I do believe that the SEC is the best football conference, I have begun to suspect ESPN of their motives since their huge cash investment in the league. The desire to make the SEC Network another very profitable vehicle. When you see the talking heads describe LSU's 10-7 win over Ole Miss as a great defensive battle while they described FSU's close win over Clemson as having two teams with no offense, you get the picture.

Any bets that Auburn will be cited as suspect by the ESPN spinners for their near loss to South Carolina?

We now have the major provider of college football games and commentary with a vested interest in football outcomes. Was I suspicious about the 24-7 ESPN railing about FSU prior to the Notre Dame game? When the overnight TV ratings came back at 8.5, the highest of the year...I figured those guys knew what they were doing.

Rant off...for a while.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 am

That was a great post.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:06 pm

Yep it was.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

strawman
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby strawman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:29 pm

"Any bets that Auburn will be cited as suspect by the ESPN spinners for their near loss to South Carolina? "

No, they will just tell us that SC is really really good after all.
The Coach K Slam - Olympic Champion, World Champion, NCAA Champion, ACC Champion

Return to “General Discussion”