week 3 coming up fast

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

week 3 coming up fast

Postby Swamp Daddy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:46 pm

UL will have it's first road game in the ACC this weekend and maybe it's first test as Virginia apparently has a good defense and pass rush. Still, UL mixes the run and pass enough under Petrino that it might help keep the defenders initially confused for a second or so until the play develops and they make a move.

I am sure true fresman, QB Reggie Bonnafon will see some reps. as he was electrically exciting in game 2; Junior Will Garder will be the starting QB as usual.

First two games have gone about as expected. And, UL leads the nation in one stat at this point: time of possession. LOL.

I imagine a lot of test will get their biggest test in the 3rd game.

Swamp Daddy :wink:
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: week 3 coming up fast

Postby ..fanatic » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:50 pm

ACC certainly has more guts at scheduling than, say, the SEC. Not only do SEC teams rarely play top OOC opponents, they almost never play them on the road.
But this week, the ACC has something even stranger going on - 4 games AT non-power conferences. Wake at Utah State, Pitt at FIU, Syracuse at Central Michigan, N.C. State at USF. Unfortunately, all but Pitt could realistically lose.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:13 pm

I think Utah State should be favored, but Utah State has looked very shaky. Mostly it's the lack of a legit running presence and Chuckie Keeton has been pretty miserable. They did run for over 300 yards against Idaho State, but Idaho State is usually terrible by FCS standards and the Bengals did manage to put up over 400 yards on what is supposed to be a steady defense. The Aggies are bound to disappoint this season, no question, but Wake has offensive problems of their own, so that might be a good game.

The jury is still out on Syracuse and NC State. NC State has struggled against Georgia Southern and Old Dominion but have managed to pull out wins. Syracuse struggled against Villanova and probably should have lost that game. A road game might not be what the doctor ordered, but I do think the Cuse has an edge on Central Michigan. Purdue basically just is that bad.

And speaking of the ACC, I was absolutely amazed to see the point spread in the Georgia Tech / Georgia Southern game. GSU did lose 24-23 to NC State but controlled that game for the most part. Their defense is a work in progress, but this is a team that has seen the triple option before, so it might be something they can handle. Plus Georgia Tech's run defense didn't even manage to keep Wofford in check on the ground. GSU is shifting to a more spread-oriented look, but they are still mostly a run option kind of team with a lot of the same principles. Plus, this is the kind of game that Georgia Southern's players want to win more than anything against an in-state big dog. Also, the odds guys had Georgia Tech by, I believe, 24 points and if you consider the amount of running in this game being done by both sides, the possessions will be lengthy. It'd be tough for the Yellow Jackets to outpace GSU that much unless there's a late defensive touchdown or something. Both sides will melt the clock, although I could see GT hitting a couple of home runs in a short amount of time. The line has shifted back some to about 18 points, but still.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:02 pm

Well, took a look at the Texas schedule and Charlie Strong certainly has no easy patch. UCLA next which is probably a loss. Kansas, Baylor, etc. Might be a losing season.

Swamp Daddy :cry:

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:02 pm

Virginia looks to be improved this year...but UofL should handle them. The Cards seem to be a hard hat and lunch pail crew....squared away on both sides of the ball...run and pass. I want to see this game just to see if Virginia is any good (or if UCLA is as sorry as I think they are.)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:20 am

Swamp Daddy wrote:Well, took a look at the Texas schedule and Charlie Strong certainly has no easy patch. UCLA next which is probably a loss. Kansas, Baylor, etc. Might be a losing season.

Swamp Daddy :cry:

If you meant Kansas St, then, yeah ... probably a loss.

If you meant, Kansas, then, well, I don't know.
Texas is going through the woes right now.
Kansas is just horrendous.

Throw the Jayhawks into the conversation with SMU & Colorado that is mentioned on the other thread ... you may have parody.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:43 am

Lol! :lol:

I fully assumed he meant K St.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:34 pm

WoVeU wrote:Virginia looks to be improved this year...but UofL should handle them. The Cards seem to be a hard hat and lunch pail crew....squared away on both sides of the ball...run and pass. I want to see this game just to see if Virginia is any good (or if UCLA is as sorry as I think they are.)

hmm ...

So interesting this day.

The Virginias are perplexing.

Va Tech --- L on last minute drive
Virginia --- W on last minute kick
West Va --- W on last ditch effort kick

And why are they not all in the same conference again?
Oh, yes ... the NCAA does have its own brand of politics.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:59 pm

WVU tried to pull defeat from the jaws of victory. Special teams cost them about 28 points in the differential. The offense had a bad INT and a ridiculous fumble as well...the game should have been the flip side of last year's game. The defense played well except for 3 or 4 plays.

I didn't get to see too much of the Cavs and Cards game...from what I did see the Cavs looked determined and the Cards looked as if they had no punch, kind of slack.

The Hokies just got smacked in the mouth as the game went on. Almost like they fell asleep and there was no alarm clock to be found.
R. Reagan

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:11 pm

WoVeU wrote:Virginia looks to be improved this year...but UofL should handle them. The Cards seem to be a hard hat and lunch pail crew....squared away on both sides of the ball...run and pass. I want to see this game just to see if Virginia is any good (or if UCLA is as sorry as I think they are.)

UVA beat BYU early last year and still only won 2 games. The way I see it, they just got their 2 wins done for the year.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:25 am

:lol:
Cane... [__]

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:39 am

Well, things have turned out quite different (as usual) from fan expectations. If Louisville doesn't get the O-line fixed quickly it will be a long, frustrating season. There is a bright note in that the defense, expected to take 2 steps back, looks about as good as last year.

Some defensive people have stepped up; and, interceptions are up in the first games.

Once DaVante Parker comes back and Michael Dyer is fully healthy maybe the offense can pick up again. Strange beginning to the season already (seems quick too) 1/4 over.

Swamp Daddy :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”