Best Bowl Game So Far

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Best Bowl Game So Far

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:58 pm

Well, we have some good ones to pick from:

Las Vegas Bowl

Cal 35, BYU 28

Hawaii Bowl

Nevada 49, UCF 48

MPC Computers Bowl

Boston College 27, Boise State 21

Alamo Bowl

Nebraska 32, Michigan 28

Independence Bowl

Missouri 38, South Carolina 31

Liberty Bowl

Tulsa 31, Fresno State 28

Cotton Bowl

Alabama 13, Texas Tech 10

Sugar Bowl

West Virginia 38, Georgia 35

Orange Bowl

Penn State 26, Florida State 23

If you have to ask me, my vote goes to the Hawaii Bowl.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:07 pm

The Hawai'i Bowl was indeed amazing. Poor kicker, though. Must've been heartbreaking for him.

I think that the Gator Bowl was pretty good. Lot's of gossip to go around from that one! From William's being tossed to Vick stepping on Dumerville, not to mention the good come-from-behind. And the fact that Tech never wins in Jax. Ever. (So it seems).

I thought it was a good one, anyways. Wonder what the ..Fanatic's would say about it.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:12 pm

i thought last nights was the best so far, i thought they were gonna beat each other to death.

the crazy cottonbowl field goal just plain skeerd me :lol:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:42 pm

You're are asking for more than I could possibly muster. There's been some great one's but for me the answer is obvious:

Sugar Bowl bound and down
Loaded up and truckin'
We're gonna' do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there
We're Sugar Bowl bound, just watch those Mountaineers run.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:54 pm

There have been some great ones so far. This is one of the better bowl seasons in recent memory. I would have said the Sugar Bowl, but that game last night was very good. One slobberknocker after another. Give me a good old fashioned defensive struggle any time. Orange Bowl.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:10 pm

The trouble with you and I Spence is that we are old school. We both like football the way it used to be ..... a game that not only tests the skills of the players and coaches, but also tests their character.

Orange Bowl gets my vote too ..... I did not see one player from either team punk out last night or call attention to himself. The close-up shots of the players .... late in the game ... wet with sweat and worn out, but still with that look of no quit and determination.

That's about as good as it gets.

Joe Pa and Bobby ...... simply outstanding.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:17 pm

and, nobody even poked fun at the reciever named 'fagg' :lol: ok, sorry i'll quit now

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:20 pm

I like Paterno, I have never been a big Bowden fan, but both teams in that game played football the way it was meant to be played. They left it all out on the field and if I were one of the players, I would have been proud to say I played in that game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:27 pm

Actually, most bowls I saw were entertaining, it's hard to single out one.
But I have to admit the Sugar Bowl was exciting, from beginning to end.
The Orange Bowl was entertaining, but went on forever.
The Rose Bowl was entertaining, but it was kind of boring too, I thought.
I'm not sure it lived up to the hype, but Texas made it fun.
There were some other games that were close, the Insight Bowl, and don't forget the Houston Bowl!
TCU finally showed they belong in the BCS.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:09 pm

I don't know if beating the 3rd place team in the Big 12 North by 7 proves you are BCS worthy, but whatever.

I'd have to say that the Rose Bowl was the best this year, I should've made this post after all the bowls were done! I think the Orange Bowl comes in at #2, and the Hawaii Bowl is #3.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:23 pm

They didn't beat them by seven, Eric, they beat them by 3.
And unless I"m mistaken, they were 2nd in N. Division, would have won it had they beaten Kansas, but you might be correct in the event of a tie-breaker, as they lost (in OT) to Nebraska.
Either way they won, so give them credit for beating a decent team.
Would they have won Big XII N? Possibly, that's where I was coming from, and I had hoped they would play Colorado, like last year.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:43 pm

Yeah, it was by 3. My goof.

Well, I'm not taking anything away from TCU's victory. See, the reason they haven't proven anything is because they haven't been able to prove anything. Okay, they beat Oklahoma, but UCLA massaccred them and so did Texas. Tulsa almost beat them the next week. That tells you what kind of team OU was at the time. But hey, a win over OU is a win over the Sooners.

I don't know if TCU would be able to beat a BCS-worthy team, I'm sure it is possible. But the thing is, we'll never know because they didn't have an opportunity. I still think BCS-material teams would be too fast and physical for TCU, but stranger things have happened. It shouldn't suprise people if they pulled a victory like that off.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:29 pm

1. Orange Bowl
2. Hawaii Bowl
3. Insight Bowl
4. MPC Computers

I think the Hawaii and Orange Bowls were the most entertaining bowl games to watch this season. In both cases, though, I can't help but feel bad for the kickers on the losing teams. It has got to be an incredibly long season for the kicker for UCF.

Other than the games I had a more than casual interest in (Motor City and Fiesta) I would have to say the games I got the most into were the MPC Computers Bowl where Boise made their mad comeback and the Insight Bowl where Rutgers almost took out Arizona State in a virtual home game for the Sun Devils.

I was the most pleased by the results of the Fiesta and Emerald Bowls.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:33 pm

Forgot to mention this....I don't know if TCU was BCS worthy but I certainly thought they were at least January bowl worthy. I wish there was openings for non-BCS schools in some of the bigger non-BCS bowls if the BCS games won't invite them.

I think a TCU vs. Alabama Cotton Bowl would have been very interesting.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

no contest

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:03 am

After watching that Texas game, it's no contest, that was the best bowl game in a year filled with great bowl games. 4th and 5, less than a minute to play, the National Championship Game on the line, VY scoring his third touchdown in the half.

Return to “General Discussion”