College World Series

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

College World Series

Postby donovan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:03 am

Right now my money, which of course is.....I get this email ad the other day that say they want me to deposit some money into their bank because it is paying .74 %.......I get more thrill out of having it in Hip National Bank....We can not do this for four more years...but I digress........as I was saying...I think Florida State is going to take the series. Stanford is was not that bad of a ball club...but my goodness, they got hammered. Watched Oregon go out with a fizzle...so there is some goodness in all of it. Tough to compete with the warm weather schedule, but that is just a lame excuse. But one excuse is as good as another. Arkansas will be in the hunt. Saw Kent State, v Oregon....think they have had their last hurrah. As long as South Carolina gets pummeled. And finally...just because The West coast needs some representation in something...Arizona is a tough team, but they get FSU in the first round. When you can play 545 games a year, none with even any dew on the ground, that is tough. And the hope against hope.... Stony Brook.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: College World Series

Postby Spence » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:01 am

It is amazing how many banks seem to be proud of their sub 1% interest rates. It will be that way until the fed lets the economy run its cycle instead of artificially holding inflation down. leaving the gold standard was a mistake.................And I think Florida State is the team to beat. I am, being a good Ohio boy, rooting for the Golden Flashes.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:07 am

Arkansas has a pitching staff that goes 10-12 deep and had the 7th best era in the country this year. That gives them a chance to be in all the games. You don't have to get nervous when they dip into the bull pen. And Stanek and Baxendale are legit aces. They are also 28-4 against non-SEC opponents. However, Ark just does not have the bats. If the pitching faulters they can't recover. Baylor had one of the best hitting teams this year and Ark pitchers hep them to no points in game three and zero extra base hits in game 2 (reason Ark was able to win both games without hitting well themselves).

I too agree that Fl State is the team to beat.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:37 am

Diamond Hogs are 2-0 in college world series. Now a two day rest to see who they play. One more win and they play for all the marbles. Go Omahogs!!!!
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:22 am

Kent State is still alive! Maybe the MAC can finally win something this academic year :roll:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:39 am

Anyone see the Ark vs South Carolina game three. Could the ump behind the plate be any more one sided. The winning run walked in by Ark was clearly a strike (clearly by everyone watching). That was the deciding factor. That strike would have ended 7th with score tied 2-2...not SC up 3-2. Oh well...baseball loves giving the officials all the powe with no way to reverse errors that decide ball games (or at least alter them drastically).

Proud of Hogs. So close (lead the game for 5 innings and only team to beat SC in post season in 3 straight years). I think SC creams Arizona in championship series (refs will make sure SC pitchers strike zones are huge and Arizona pitchers will have no room for error...wait and see).

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:00 am

Article about the blown call that gifted SC with the winning run.

http://blogs.nwaonline.com/slophouse/20 ... potential/

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:21 am

Doss I feel your pain. Nothing consoles what are bad calls. Baseball has made umpires the most integral part of the game of any sport since the inception of the game. And the truth is, a pitch is neither a ball or strike until the umpire makes a call and then, by rule, not arguable, it stands. I would have liked to seen Arkansas win, because I think they were scrappy and had a a great bull pen. No shame in their game, for sure.

I thought Florida State would take it, but it was that Arizona game they had to get through. Arizona won yesterday, I suspect they will in fact pummel South Carolina. Arizona just has too much experience with their kids. At the end of their freshman year, those kids have played more ball games than most college players play their whole college career.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 am

It was just frustrating to see it end that way. Ark still might have lost, but SC would have had to earn the win. Even if the ump thought it was a close call you should lean towards it being a strike (when a run is involved, in a tie game, with that much on the line). I have watched the replay over and over and no sain individual would call that pitch a ball unless they had an agenda.

Ark still had a good year. Was hoping for an Ark NC in baseball (that would have made Ark only the 5th school to ever win a NC in the three big sports: Football, Basketball, and Baseball). Perhaps next year.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:43 am

Well...Arizona took care of SC.....That is good.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:33 pm

Arizona played well. Congrats to them.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “Off-Topic”