The Iran Drama

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

The Iran Drama

Postby WoVeU » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:52 pm

Why, why is there any? All this talk and diplomatic efforts when Iran says they are going nuclear!

I for one, no matter the nation in question have a real problem with one nation telling another what they can and can not do! So I can't get behind an effort to stop nuclear enrichment. I am not a huge fan of telling another country they can't build a nuclear weapon either (but I much more understand this.) What we don't want is any country to attack another, especially nuclear (or bio, or chem). So we can focus there! If this truly is far too little far too late for certain issues I can see backing up one layer... if that doesn't level doesn't ask another to give up something of importance. 1st I think we have the technical capability at the present to impede and counter an attempted nuclear strike by a start-up nation who lacks many technical resources. If we really think Iran has the patience to hold off on attack until it can be carried out so well it could not be impeded then the next layer of action be a definitive attempt to stop the creation of a nuclear weapon. (As far as not enriching when they claim the need for electrical power, how are we supposed to say that when all we hear about here is not burning fossil fuels.) I think the action should be a simple this what is going to happen if we learn you are building a nuclear weapon, this is what we are going to do if we find you are building a missile to deliver a nuclear weapon, this is what we are going to do if you set up too close to a border, etc. etc. and some other things can be thrown of what they will see other coountries doing in supporting acts. (Moving weapon systems to here, or flying recon here, etc.) Then set back and shut up...move on to other problems.

*All of this reminds me of the same problem I see more and more in our government and society in general. Like the recent NFL fiasco in New Orleans...big whoop...who cares. Is it right, doesn't matter? Why? There are already rules and a punitive system in place for hits and tackles the League doesn't want on their field! Ergo the fix is in..already. Move on to other work. I am now referring to this as the Slippery-Slope Justice Mentality! It started with guns, did little there and has spread like cancer. Didn't like smoking because it bothers many people and causes lung cancer, so they tax the heck out of it, ban it in many public places, notice the order here. They go off in the derivative areas. When they could have banned it in certain areas and not allow government funding for lung cancer treatment for smokers. (Insurance companies can look out for themselves like any other business. And if that were the full concern it would have also allowed businesses to be for smoker and smoker friendly people. But that of course didn't happen. Then you have courts convicting people of crimes as high as murder. This has gotten so bad some places now that if your spouse is killed and a suspect doesn't materialize in 24 hours you might as well pack your bags for the big house! And it is everywhere, half the stuff I hear being debated in government is ridiculous to me!!!!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Iran Drama

Postby Derek » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:26 pm

I agree on guv-mint over stepping, but I also believe that a collective set of forces (including other nations) should kick the crap out of Iran.

But that's not going to happen, because no one but us seems to care if Israel get's annihilated or not.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:54 am

You can't let crazy people who hate you have the power to hurt you. If Iran has nuclear weapons then terrorists have nuclear weapons.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Derek wrote:I agree on guv-mint over stepping, but I also believe that a collective set of forces (including other nations) should kick the crap out of Iran.

But that's not going to happen, because no one but us seems to care if Israel get's annihilated or not.

I standby Israel and do not worry about her continued existence. If it weren't for the rest of the world and many politics and power plays at work...Israel would have no problems in the ME...for Israel would be the only country in the ME. (And that would be my preference!)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:55 pm

Spence wrote:You can't let crazy people who hate you have the power to hurt you. If Iran has nuclear weapons then terrorists have nuclear weapons.

Now that is the real problem. Iran having nuclear power as in missiles I do not worry about. Iran doling out nuclear bomb material to be transported and exploited in a terrorist attack is an entirely different matter. And if that is the problem at hand, they need to speak about it on that level and go ahead and annihilate the source. Because the level that you can trust intelligence about sanctioned militarization is far greater than you can trust collected data (or lack thereof) on militia or terrorist organizations.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”