CFP Trivia Challenge Question Game 14

A place to store the CFP Trivia Challenge questions.
ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Fri May 26, 2006 10:10 pm

Eric wrote:Nice job, ktffan. I was stumped and stupified. I was searching through the ESPN College Football Encyclopedia and I came across some 1888 games. I should've realized that they didn't play week-to-week, so I had to research the date. All of these games have appeared to be played before that, but I guess not.

I received that book last week. It made me feel good because I could have done way better.

Anyways, what page were you looking on? Just curious. Earliest such games:

1887 1123 Notre Dame Michigan
1888 0420 Notre Dame Michigan
1888 0421 Notre Dame Michigan
1888 1018 North Carolina Wake Forest
1888 1127 Duke North Carolina
1888 1208 Miami (OH) Cincinnati

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat May 27, 2006 6:23 am

So those are the dates huh? Sometimes stuff just flies over my head :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat May 27, 2006 3:57 pm

Since Eric already brought it up, what's the longest standing rivalry in all of college football? (hint, it's not Cincinnati vs. Miami (OH))

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sat May 27, 2006 11:47 pm

congrats ktfan! if these guys couldn't get it, i thank my lucky stars my goofy butt wasn't around all day to try :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun May 28, 2006 12:00 am

It's Minnesota vs. Wisconsin. I think at least.....
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Sun May 28, 2006 1:05 pm

Eric wrote:It's Minnesota vs. Wisconsin. I think at least.....

Yale/Columbia could probably be refered to as the oldest, as of current regular match-ups, they played first.

Yale and Princeton played in 1873 and have played 128 times. Harvard and Yale is definately a rivalry and they started in 1875.

Lehigh/Lafayette have played the most often at 141 times.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed May 31, 2006 12:07 pm

Eric wrote:It's Minnesota vs. Wisconsin. I think at least.....
Actually, what I should have said, was which rivalry was 'most played'.
So, Eric, you were correct with your initial response which was Miami (OH) and Cincinnati (oldest I-A).
The Minnesota vs. Wisconsin isn't quite as old, but it's been played more, something of the order of 115 I believe. (114?) So, you are correct, both times.

Kttfan is correct there sis in fact an 'older' rivalry which I had assumed to be Yale vs. Princeton. But neither team is in I-A. Nevertheless, I think that may be the oldest rivalry in all of college football. I guess I need to be a little more careful in how I pose a question.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:00 pm

Back from the mountains...great trip on the bike

I did read the question...

Of teams that are currently in division I-A, Michigan and Notre Dame were the first two teams to play. Which two current I-A teams were the next to play against each other?

Now...Notre Dame and Michigan played first on 11-23-1887...again in April 1888...

The question did not say which "other" two teams were the second to play. The question merely asked which current 1A teams were the next to play...the next teams to play (after the Nov. 1887 match) were a rematch of Notre Dame and Michigan.

Some sources do not credit the November 1887 game as an official game, although Notre Dame and Michigan both claim it.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:06 pm

Welcome back. I can see how the question can be taken that way so you get credit for the answer as well.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:49 pm

billybud wrote:Back from the mountains...great trip on the bike

I did read the question...

Of teams that are currently in division I-A, Michigan and Notre Dame were the first two teams to play. Which two current I-A teams were the next to play against each other?

Now...Notre Dame and Michigan played first on 11-23-1887...again in April 1888...

The question did not say which "other" two teams were the second to play. The question merely asked which current 1A teams were the next to play...the next teams to play (after the Nov. 1887 match) were a rematch of Notre Dame and Michigan.

Some sources do not credit the November 1887 game as an official game, although Notre Dame and Michigan both claim it.

My original phrasing covered that, but was confusing so it didn't make the re-write.

If a source other than Notre Dame, Michigan and the NCAA don't have the game as "official", who cares?

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:35 pm

ktffan wrote:
Kttfan wrote:

My original phrasing covered that, but was confusing so it didn't make the re-write.

If a source other than Notre Dame, Michigan and the NCAA don't have the game as "official", who cares?

I think this is an example of what I'm talking about, Mr. Ambiguity.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:44 pm

CLF wrote:I think this is an example of what I'm talking about, Mr. Ambiguity.

The original question that Ktffan submitted did say "aside from these to teams". I asked him to clear up the question and that got left out. Again no conspiracy.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:27 pm

"Mr. Ambiguity"??...Oh my Gawd!!! ROFLMAO....

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:38 pm

Spence wrote:
CLF wrote:I think this is an example of what I'm talking about, Mr. Ambiguity.

The original question that Ktffan submitted did say "aside from these to teams". I asked him to clear up the question and that got left out. Again no conspiracy.
I never said there was a conspiracy did I?
I simply thought it was ironic he had to explain his wording to make it clear.
Hence, the acronym, Mr. Ambiguity.

Return to “Trivia Challenge Archives”