Another Dem bites the dust!

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Another Dem bites the dust!

Postby WoVeU » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:09 pm

It is 6:03 Eastern, and already 2 Dems down!

Indiana
Kentucky

I think I should tally by Conference...

Ind - Big 10, Independent, CUSA
Ken- SEC, Big East, Sun Belt
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Dossenator

Re: Another Dem bites the dust!

Postby Dossenator » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Their dropping like flies! :D

50...maybe 60 or more gain in the house. One of the largest swings in one election ever. I think if they pass 60 it will be the largest swing since the 1940's.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:54 pm

That is what happens when an arrogant party comes goes on a 5 trillion dollar spending spree on our kid's charge card.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:46 am

Now the Republicans get another chance. Hopefully they won't squander it like they did the last time.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:52 am

Spence wrote:Now the Republicans get another chance. Hopefully they won't squander it like they did the last time.

The senate will remain in democrat control...so nothing will get done. I guess the House can stop democrat bills from going to the senate but anything the republucans get through the House will be shot down by the senate.

Maybe the new Republican governors can make some possitive headway leading into the next presidential election.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:57 am

Dossenator wrote:
Spence wrote:Now the Republicans get another chance. Hopefully they won't squander it like they did the last time.

The senate will remain in democrat control...so nothing will get done. I guess the House can stop democrat bills from going to the senate but anything the republucans get through the House will be shot down by the senate.

Maybe the new Republican governors can make some possitive headway leading into the next presidential election.

There are a few moderates in the Senate that would probably like to keep their jobs. :wink:

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:46 am

Manchin will be a moderate Democrat so there will be at least 1 backing needful legislation.

(I can't believe Reid won!)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:58 am

I can tell you one thing about the new speaker - he has never taken an earmark. He may be the most fiscally conservative man to ever sit in congress.

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Well, I'm very excited about our new House. I think Boehner will do well. Last night the lefties on NBC (man they were squirming having to report this) were saying that taking the House was really a mixed blessing for Republicans as now they'll be blamed for the economy and gridlock and blah blah blah... While I doubt that we can fix the economy with just the House, no Senate, and Obama holding the veto pen, Republicans can succeed over the next two years and do well in '12 if they control the narrative. Fight the good fight. Pass tax cuts. Defund Obamacare. And let Harry Reid and Barack Obama feel the heat as to why they refuse to pass the popular legislation the House is putting forth.

The Senate is a little disappointing, mostly that Murray and Bennet look likely to keep their seats. Reid winning is sort of a blessing in disguise. As ineffective as he has been, there is no way he will be able to keep Lieberman, Nelson and Manchin in line when they face reelection in 2012 (Manchin's was a special election). Manchin in particular won by establishing himself as a pseudo-Republican, heading out to the woods to shoot a hole in cap and trade and all that. WV voters will expect him to be to the right of Mark Kirk, Scott Brown, Snowe and Collins...

I suppose I'm most pleased with the gubernatorial pickups. Scott won in FL, Snyder in MI, Walker in WI, Corbett in PA, LePage in ME, Kasich in OH. Dudley might have a win in OR. The Republicans really did have strength in statewide contests. Its just that we underperformed in the Senate, in my opinion, because we let Sarah Palin choose us some candidates that were unable to win in their states. Christine O'Donnell for instance has some okay views, and I think she was unfairly maligned, but she would never win in Delaware. Maybe Idaho or Mississippi, but not in a solid blue state.

If I'm most disappointed in any race, its that Jesse Kelly is behind in AZ-08. He's a deserving guy, and would have done better for that district than Gabrielle Giffords. Ann Marie Buerkle is in a similar situation in my district, but actually did better than I expected to be this close. Very displeased that Matt Doheny has lost NY-23, because a sizable chunk of voters went with the Conservative Party candidate who withdrew from the race, but was still on the ballot.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Whether or not the Republicans can be effective depends on whether or not they try to do things people want done and whether they can articulate that with the people.

The Democrats need to understand the only way for them to stop the bleeding for them is to quit spending us into third world status. The central bank is buying up it's own bond guarantees right now. We are turning our currency into monopoly money. We can't let that happen. When President Obama took office two years ago, our national debt was 8 trillion dollars - an absurd amount. Today, thanks to the Presidents rubber stamp goverment, our national dept is 13 trillion dollars. At that pace he will more than double the amount of debt America had when he came to office. If some sort of fiscal sanity isn't fixed in place very soon, our whole economy is going to fail. It is that serious. If both parties do not get together on this goal, we are doomed as a democracy. We will have failed because we keep using our government as a way to vote us stuff. We are spoiled rotten little children - collectively.

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:36 pm

I agree, Spence. The number one benefit that 239-244 Republicans in the House will give is the fact that there are many fiscal conservatives in there that will put the brakes on a lot of the unnecessary spending that has characterized the last 6-8 years of Congress (yeah, that goes back to the last Republican majority - they weren't exactly perfect under Bush, either). They will need to make sure to keep control of the spin though.

Obama and Tim Kaine have already indicated that the Democrats will try to paint them as obstructionists, refusing to go along with anything. Of course, that didn't work for them in '09 and '10 when their complaints of Republican obstructionism was over issues that were unpopular with 60-65% of the population. Still, the Republicans need to keep steady with their message to keep public opinion in our favor, that sometimes being the "party of 'No'" is a good thing. And that refusing to go along with the Obama agenda, instead proposing a rational fiscal conservative agenda is the right direction for this country. Make sure it is House leadership that appears to be moving the country where the people want, and Obama/Reid refusing good legislation, while House Republicans refuse the bad.

Gridlock is often an underestimated quality... I would so much rather have a government that does absolutely nothing, than one that does too much.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:41 pm

Repubicans has some power now, though, so they have to step up with legit ideas and legislation and force the Democrats to block them. That will prevent the Democratic leadership from doing that.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:44 pm

We are screwed, at least for a while. We already have huge inflationary pressures...the stimulus packages have put throttle to some forces (quite naturally.) And groceries have been a joke for 2 years, while much is done in ways that aren't reflected in the CPI. Sizes and quality have been reduced and coupons and sales have fallen off the map. With companies not engaging in direct price competition for years, most groceries were bought on some manufacturer sale or store sale for many years before the deep recession. Companies, seeing some upward movement in the market, have choked off the profit margins and ate inflation from their suppliers for man months now...hoping to capture more market in the up-swing. Now when you throw 600Bill in new cash in the supply...while going into the holidays especially...inflation is going to come hard and fast. I think things are going to get really bad by spring, even a small supply shock or OPEC just wanting more profit could really make things go crazy!

I think this has to be on purpose. I think we are going to inflate our currency and allow our currency to be devalued in an attempt to reverse the real cost of our hyperbolic debt. This is like trying to catch a falling knife! I think we are down to directly gambling now. This could easily see us losing our international credit, which is fine with me. But lesser things have caused wars!
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:08 pm

I think they need to let inflation take it's course. Holding it down, artificially, is going to make things worse in the long run. And the if the Fed chief thinks we can buy our own dept, he needs fired or hanged at the nearest tree. You can't spend yourself out of debt. If you could my sister would be way out of debt.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:51 pm

We got out of the business of inflation taking its own course years ago when we started stimulating. It is always a dangerous thing to press on the brake or accelerator on a midnight road and you are driving blind and just trying to interpret the bumps in the road you feel. When you try to manipulate the natural system you better be highly tuned to adjust and respond faster than the system can become unstable. I think this gets harder with finances and economy all the time, and never was anything but hard! I just think this a nightmare when businesses are suppressing prices...acting counter-inflationary. If there counter is pulled at the right time you are asking for trouble. If increased liquidity doesn't produce enough and the right type of velocity...that eventually winds down to untapped resources being turned into products...then you have trouble. If both of these happen, serious trouble. And we increasingly depend on global strata. Look how long Japan endured a recession.

You get the lights, and I'll pull the curtain!
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”