One Layer Onions

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

One Layer Onions

Postby WoVeU » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:39 am

People kill me.

The other day at work I was out in the break area and a woman who is often there (from California, enough said) was there and another person. And the woman made the brilliant statement that Religion is the cause of all the Problems.! Which I almost always let go, because as a broad statement it can be found true enough. The "snapper head" peels one more layer and says, "if there was no religion, there wouldn't be problems!"

One layer onions, dumb as $%^!. But I was quiet (I had crap to get to). Take away religion, magically, and everything would be cool, for 3 days to 3 years depending on the level you are talking, person-to-person...part-to-party...country-to-country. Then philosophies are the problem, economics, general morality, all politics, everything else. Humans just need somebody to think different to throw stones. If they all happened to think the same, we'd get back to hating more on appearance and what-not.

But what would I expect, this is the same person who retorted "but they have a lot of things other people don't have or get" to my comment that "California is in deep, deep, (crap) with their debt and entire fiscal profile!"

I can't even think of prayer for things like this.

One layer onions! Pull the curtain, I'll get the lights!!!!!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: One Layer Onions

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:44 am

Religion, land, power, and money - one or combined are the reason for all the wars that have ever been fought. Take away one, the others will move to the head of the class.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:16 am

Bingo!

Johnny pull that curtain and let's show Spence what he has won!

Speeeeeence! You have won an all expenses paid by you get-away to the land of the dead-heads! You'll spend muggy warm days just south of the Great Lakes and watching idiots pass by frolicking all the day long....many on your dime. And cool damp nights wondering on end of how in the world you are going to keep the man out of your pockets tomorrow!
Relax....we will hold your wallet!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:38 pm

The heart is deceitfully wicked...who can know it.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:30 pm

No matter how poor the liar, it is a rarity to find a man that can not lie to himself if he gives it a little effort.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:57 pm

It has always been about power and resources. Us and our group versus them and their group.

Humans and Neanderthals...Europeans against the indigenous peoples of the America's. Australia, etc. Germany and the peoples of europe. Japan versus China, Malaysia, and Manchuria...and on and on.

Forget religion, country, political philosophy, etc. If we were back in the stone age it would be clan versus clan (the groups just are less amalgamated).
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:43 pm

That is true, the "reasons" we fight are still religion, land, money, and power. We don't like their religion, we want their land, we want them to give us money, because they have more and that's not fair, we want control over them - for their own good of course. :lol:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:08 am

When we were an agrarian society and one person could produce food for one person. There was no time for anything else. Then one day, someone figured out robbery was a labor saving device.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:29 am

donovan wrote:When we were an agrarian society and one person could produce food for one person. There was no time for anything else. Then one day, someone figured out robbery was a labor saving device.

It didn't take long either.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:27 pm

Spence wrote:
donovan wrote:When we were an agrarian society and one person could produce food for one person. There was no time for anything else. Then one day, someone figured out robbery was a labor saving device.

It didn't take long either.

But the real finite honing has taken thousands of years!
R. Reagan

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:15 pm

It's not just organized religion that is the culprit. I think it helps organize the masses in certain circumstances. But it can be other tag lines like, "they hate us because we're free" which are easy sells to the public.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:34 pm

Eric wrote:It's not just organized religion that is the culprit. I think it helps organize the masses in certain circumstances. But it can be other tag lines like, "they hate us because we're free" which are easy sells to the public.

Huh? :?
R. Reagan

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:47 pm

WoVeU wrote:
Eric wrote:It's not just organized religion that is the culprit. I think it helps organize the masses in certain circumstances. But it can be other tag lines like, "they hate us because we're free" which are easy sells to the public.

Huh? :?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalmers_Johnson#The_Blowback_trilogy
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:59 pm

Religion, land, money, and power indeed fuel wars, but of the four, only one sees to the guarantee of human rights. Take away anything bigger than man, and then man is supreme and might makes right. Only when rooted in something greater, be it God or Natural Law, can individual rights have any hope of being guaranteed beyond those who would make themselves strong on Earth.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:13 am

Are you talking about the IRS??
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “Off-Topic”