Lou Holtz

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Lou Holtz

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:36 pm

What makes conservatism so right. Seems to me we should be communitarian in belief. There are a lot of things that should join collectively in our communities to do. Schools, helping the poor, parks, roads, police, fire....many......My observations is that most Conservatives in today's political circles, Teaparty..radio commentators, etc...are in denial there are problems. There is not one Buckley or Goldwater conservative out there.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:17 pm

I never said that conservatism is right, just that my thoughts mirror a conservative lifestyle. That doesn't mean I do not believe in helping the poor. Or even those not poor, but down on their luck. I not only believe in it I help in the first person. I believe that everyone must help themselves and also that every needs help while trying to help themselves. None of that contradicts conservative like as far as I can see, although I also see nothing wrong with believing something different as long as you back up your beliefs with your own funds. I think that is the key to charity. Not someone telling me what I should do, but me doing what I feel is right and you doing what you think is right. I believe that if you can't help people who want to help themselves, then you aren't part of the solution. If you put your money where your mouth is then you are on the right track.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 pm

donovan wrote:What makes conservatism so right. Seems to me we should be communitarian in belief. There are a lot of things that should join collectively in our communities to do. Schools, helping the poor, parks, roads, police, fire....many......My observations is that most Conservatives in today's political circles, Teaparty..radio commentators, etc...are in denial there are problems. There is not one Buckley or Goldwater conservative out there.

helping the poor is a personal choice, I don't think guv-mint should be involved with that.

I don't believe anyone is in denial that there are problems, I just think that those people don't believe that the government is ever the answer to those problems.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Not sure I meant your comments.....just prattling. I have nothing against conservatism. I am certainly a states rights advocate. My issue is their is not political party or organization the seems to represent the common man's views anymore, be they conservative or liberal.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:46 pm

donovan wrote:Not sure I meant your comments.....just prattling. I have nothing against conservatism. I am certainly a states rights advocate. My issue is their is not political party or organization the seems to represent the common man's views anymore, be they conservative or liberal.

I think we agree. I have mostly conservative views, but I don't consider myself Republican. I am for what I believe is right and I try to vote for people that come the closest to what I consider right. I do believe that no political party and I completely jive. I think that you are right that the common man is not represented in the government anymore. It is up to the common man to rediscover their clout.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:33 pm

I have a done a thing or 2 for those in need in my life. But as close as you can come with broad brush in hand...I don't see any poor people that aren't there by choice. Seen some needy people...but needy passes! And as far as DC, you can't fix stupid! Pull the curtain.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:21 pm

WoVeU wrote:I have a done a thing or 2 for those in need in my life. But as close as you can come with broad brush in hand...I don't see any poor people that aren't there by choice. Seen some needy people...but needy passes! And as far as DC, you can't fix stupid! Pull the curtain.

Word.

Good to see you still hanging around. Hope your doing OK. 8)

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Doing well Derek. I have been working like a Hebrew in Egypt...been away from Goshen a bit as well. And as I look upon my fields I see the wife hasn't been watering our little field of tares either. The world has gone crazy...I can't fix things as fast as people can brake them and can't design and program as fast people can dream!!!!

But I have told the King and his counsel that football is coming! And don't even look for what time they hear the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer...I sir will be perched in front of those little green (and blue) fields that spring up in my living room this time of year...so let the living begin!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:31 pm

Dr Lou???

"I went to the doctor, and they found you in my heart"??????????????????????????????????? :?

- John Madden

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:38 pm

Derek wrote:Dr Lou???

"I went to the doctor, and they found you in my heart"??????????????????????????????????? :?

Yeah, that was super cheese! Wouldn't even work on my corny wife. Comments on curves and such would carry more woo! :roll:
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:00 am

WoVeU wrote:

Yeah, that was super cheese! Wouldn't even work on my corny wife. Comments on curves and such would carry more woo!

:roll:

Mine too....and she thinks I need to kick it up a notch. Probably do.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:01 pm

donovan wrote:
WoVeU wrote:

Yeah, that was super cheese! Wouldn't even work on my corny wife. Comments on curves and such would carry more woo!

:roll:

Mine too....and she thinks I need to kick it up a notch. Probably do.

Hold up, that is the trap my friend! A kick-up seems needful here...yet she seems to crave some throttling back there. Women are all about timing, and I only know 4/4, 2/4 if I focus really hard. Their music has more movement than Beethoven, and they have more keys than a Locksmith! Find me the guy who has figured out how to dance to their sirens...and my friend...you have found the only guy on the planet truly qualified to lead a nation.
R. Reagan

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Lou is at it again, writing to get people voting for Ohio Republicans.

http://www.nationalreview.com/campaign-spot/248810/lou-holtz-getting-fired-once-again

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Brian Roastbeef wrote:Lou is at it again, writing to get people voting for Ohio Republicans.

http://www.nationalreview.com/campaign-spot/248810/lou-holtz-getting-fired-once-again

It wouldn't be a bad thing for people to retire Lee Fisher. Woody Hayes wouldn't have indorsed Lee Fisher over Portman. :wink:

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:53 pm

Dr. Lou, Dr. Lou, Dr. Lou....the doctor is in!

I love Dr. Lou. Not because he is a football guy (but that doesn't hurt anything). Not because he is from West Virginia (but that doesn't hurt anything). Not because he is a Conservative (but that doesn't hurt anything). Not because he coached Notre Dame (but that doesn't help anything). But because he is his own person, a man who doesn't seem to be trying at all to fit the mold!
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”