Fun Games To Watch ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Fun Games To Watch ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:07 am

-------------------------------------------------------------

This was a great way to start the weekend off ...

All the games were close, most of the way through. Even Marshall/UAB stayed close, until rather late.

For my Picks, however, I can't believe I had to hold out for Nebraska winning. Now, looking over the Predictions, I see that all three of us are 1-3 on the day.

I sure hope my Saturday selections fair better. I simply couldn't get a grasp on this season. Every time things seem to start clarifying themselves, the week plays out, and tosses my assumptions down the disposal.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Fun Games To Watch ...

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:54 am

Tough season to figure.....lack of practices....guys out with covid..

FSU-Wake Forest is cancelled because FSU had more positives...down to fewer than 40 scholarship players available...the ACC Covid advisory panel cancelled the game when FSU had difficulty with the numbers on the offensive line.

Notre Dame beat Clemson earlier..but with Trevor back from Covid, Clemson is favored by 10. Hard to figure.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:13 pm

It has been a head scratcher of a season....... Marshall’s quarterback (freshman) has developed a case of the YIPS and here lately and is really struggling. Southern Cal has been dodging bullets all season and looks like it finally caught-up with them. The eyebrow raised to me was Ball State beating Buffalo....... you’re right about this season being ‘hard to figure’, with all the variables and unknowns.

Reminds me of the lessons of Donald Rumsfeld. :D :D :D
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:07 pm

We’ve got a nail-biter going on in Indianapolis....... 8) 8) 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:36 am

Amazing how ND beats Clemson fairly convincingly, and they show up at the ACC championship game and get dismantled. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:02 pm

Derek wrote:Amazing how ND beats Clemson fairly convincingly, and they show up at the ACC championship game and get dismantled. 8)

I think it was their game plan ...

They went with what worked for them in the previous game, and Venables was able to design a Defensive strategy that created a lot of disruption the second meeting.

ND's O line coach didn't do them any favors, either. The pressure kept coming, and they didn't adjust well to get themselves enough protection to time their passing. Also, Clemson was able to run a lot better, too. Etienne got loose on `em. That didn't happen when they played in Nov.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:10 pm

Thoughts on ND STILL making the playoffs???

Seems like placation to me......not sure if anyone else agrees.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:18 am

I think ND making the playoffs has to do with TV ratings. Unfortunately, I think the same about Ohio State this year too. Ohio State hasn’t had enough games to develop the new players in the secondary or the dline. Also the left guard sucks.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:03 pm

Clemson was missing seven starters and their star quarterback the first time around...Notre Dame beat a very weakened Clemson in OT....

Clemson played a true freshman class of 2020 quarterback in his second ever college game ....huge difference when Clemson was back to strength.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:05 pm

The Irish did go 10-1, both beating and losing to the CFP #2 team....

If anything, putting in a team that played only six games was placating.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:07 pm

Selection Committee Poetry

There’s a number of teams who have passed the test,
to see if they are the best of the rest.......

It’s the eyeball test that determines who goes,
some make it and some don’t, by the skin of their nose.

Now forget not the real driving force,
as the committee ponders who’s in and who’s not.

It’s the eyeball test that determines who goes,
the eyes of the viewers not of those who chose.

~Showme Themoney

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:29 pm

billybud wrote:The Irish did go 10-1, both beating and losing to the CFP #2 team....

If anything, putting in a team that played only six games was placating.

Both were placating in my opinion. Ohio State did beat two top 15 teams both at full strength and Ohio State was missing players for both games. 22 missing from Northwestern. But this year more than any other it is next to impossible to evaluate teams because there are no OOC games. Teams are being ranked based on traditional strength (which to some extent is done every year), wins and losses - more judged on losses than Wins, and on the "eye test" - which is another term for bias.

In my opinion Cincinnati was the most deserving team that didn't make it. Whether they are the best - probably not - but that is really not the criteria of the committee anyway. It is about putting compelling stories together in order to maximize the tv ratings so they can get a better deal next time. I guess that is very important this year since fans traveling isn't much of a selling point this year.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:44 pm

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-f ... faErvQ7yC0

I believe this completely. Listen to Brando’s rant.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:36 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, `bout sums it all up ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuFeqg86YYE

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:27 pm

Yep, rigged selections and elections are definitely in vogue. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”