Well this SUCKS!!!!!!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Well this SUCKS!!!!!!

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:11 pm

That must have been someone else’s suggestion, and having teams ‘picked’ by coaches or any others would be subjective. My preference, as I said, is to take the subjectivity out of the process.

I do like the notion of the ‘Top 4’, as you put it, playing it out on the field. But my preference would be with how the ‘Top 4’ become the ‘Top 4’. I like the notion of determining the ‘Top 4’ on the field. 8) 8) 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:29 pm

If they are going to use this format to decide ( and I think the model isn't bad) is fire the commitee #1. #2, put together 4- 20 team conferences; 8 10 team divisions. Yes, that means some current FBS teams are left out. #3 play a round robin schedule in your division. #4 the 2 best teams in their division play in a conference championship. #5 - the 4 conference winners playoff to a winner. It is an absolutely objective way to determine a champion. All teams have a path to the championship. You can use a committee to seed it if you like or draw seeding out of a hat. Doesn't matter. Every team controls their own destiny when the season starts. If Cincinnati wins all their games, beating everyone in their division and winning their conference game they go. If they don't, they didn't do what they had to do. It is all on them. Donovan would not whine about that format. He just wanted a path. I think there should be a path. It doesn't have to be easy, but this format would everything ensure that the same 4 to 6 teams don't finish at the top every year. No one gets the benefit of the doubt. We don't need the eye test. Every game is very important. No one gets a do over in their championship game.

The only reason not to do it is fear that the teams in could be Coastal Carolina, Cincinnati, UCF, and BYU and TV cuts the payouts because the games aren't sexy enough. If you must include every team you would have to have 6-20 team conferences. I'm not for a bell curve to determine the best team. I am for a survival of the fittest format.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:21 am

Well, sadly, it’s obvious to me the the NCAA has lost control and governance of Power 5 football and that Power 5 football is for sale.

In any event, it’ll be interesting to sit back and watch if and just how the ‘Power 5’ Conferences and the NCAA respond and address the Knight Commission’s findings and recommendations. I suspect that the ‘conference deck’ may very well be reshuffled with teams coming and going.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:58 pm

Mountainman wrote:Well, sadly, it’s obvious to me the the NCAA has lost control and governance of Power 5 football and that Power 5 football is for sale.

In any event, it’ll be interesting to sit back and watch if and just how the ‘Power 5’ Conferences and the NCAA respond and address the Knight Commission’s findings and recommendations. I suspect that the ‘conference deck’ may very well be reshuffled with teams coming and going.

I'm not sure the NCAA has ever really had any control over football. probably less now. They need to run the tournament. Right now only a few teams have a path in.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:04 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Well, sadly, it’s obvious to me the the NCAA has lost control and governance of Power 5 football and that Power 5 football is for sale.

I'm not sure the NCAA has ever really had any control over football. probably less now. They need to run the tournament. Right now only a few teams have a path in.

What authority/control the NCAA had over college football began eroding and eventually went out the window, at the direction of the school presidents, way back in the mid-1980’s after the NCAA imposed “the death penalty” on the entire Old Southwest Conference....... now there was a bunch that knew how to cheat!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

........and I agree, the NCAA absolutely needs to run the tournament. In the first place, they’ve demonstrated they know how to setup a National Tourney, how to seed the tournament brackets and how to run a tournament, as evidenced the lower division tourneys they currently conduct.
And I’ll take things a step further..... the NCAA absolutely needs to become the governing body of College Football period!!!!!!!

In this case I’m a believer in what Dr. Spock once said, “The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.” :wink: :wink: :wink:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:06 am

billybud wrote:I notice that the SEC is whining...because the ACC cancelled their 11th game for Notre Dame and Clemson...but the SEC only scheduled 10 games....

Clemson has already played 9 games to Bama's 8...and will play VT Saturday for #10.....cry me a river...

I'm wondering how Sankey will hold up, if his conference has to start making those cancellations he's so proud they won't have to incur.

Ole Miss/Texas A&M just Postponed their game --- Not many open dates left to fulfill those commitments.

Would sure look bad if he ends up with his foot in his mouth after all is said and done.

Maybe they complete their SEC schedules, by playing each other in unofficial Bowl match ups.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:54 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:

What authority/control the NCAA had over college football began eroding and eventually went out the window, at the direction of the school presidents, way back in the mid-1980’s after the NCAA imposed “the death penalty” on the entire Old Southwest Conference....... now there was a bunch that knew how to cheat!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

........and I agree, the NCAA absolutely needs to run the tournament. In the first place, they’ve demonstrated they know how to setup a National Tourney, how to seed the tournament brackets and how to run a tournament, as evidenced the lower division tourneys they currently conduct.
And I’ll take things a step further..... the NCAA absolutely needs to become the governing body of College Football period!!!!!!!

In this case I’m a believer in what Dr. Spock once said, “The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.” :wink: :wink: :wink:

No doubt. If they keep doing it like they are doing now, they are going to really disrupt the competitive balence in the conferences. You can already see it happening. Who in the ACC is competing for top players with Clemson? With Ohio State in the big 10? With Oklahoma in the B12? The PAC12 is losing competitive balance with all of the other P5 conferences. Only the SEC has competitive balance within the conference and I believe that is because they have gotten 2 teams in more often than not and that keeps recruiting in conference good.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:26 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:

No doubt. If they keep doing it like they are doing now, they are going to really disrupt the competitive balence in the conferences. You can already see it happening. Who in the ACC is competing for top players with Clemson? With Ohio State in the big 10? With Oklahoma in the B12? The PAC12 is losing competitive balance with all of the other P5 conferences. Only the SEC has competitive balance within the conference and I believe that is because they have gotten 2 teams in more often than not and that keeps recruiting in conference good.

Yep, I was listening to Rick Neuheisel talk about that very thing. He had a list of the 5 star recruits from California that left the State to play elsewhere...... what really raised my eyebrow was when he said the California kids are the ones calling the schools outside of California and asking if there’s an interest in them.

Competitive balance is a good for the game for a number of reasons, innovation and evolution of offenses and defenses and especially for fans, spectators and revenue generation, but it’s also important to not be too vanilla. Hell, it’s good to have that good guy, bad guy thingy that adds a little spice to the game....... 8) 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:59 pm

Yes. Who wants to start their real season in December or January. I don't know of any athlete worth his salt that doesn't want the best competition avalable. Coaches and AD's may look at it differently, but the athletes want the best. They want to measure themselves against the best. The culture created with this playoff system isn't allowing the best.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:06 pm

A dynasty ebbs and flows...Miami was king of the cowboys in the 80'-90's....their board said, when they were going to the ACC...it was the "All Canes Conference"...Hav'nt won the conference yet....

FSU ruled for years....and now Clemson...Bama had a dry spell...no winning season in 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006

Texas ruled for a time as did the Huskers....

And in my dad's age...Michigan ruled the west and Yale the east.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Return to “General Discussion”