XFL

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

XFL

Postby highfly24 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:11 pm

Haven't checked in for a while. Anyone watching the XFL? Lots of attention and hype in the St Louis area and the ratings were decent nationally. I'm hoping it stays strong this weekend and the league can stick around. It isn't as gimmicky as the original version and I found the games to be enjoyable. It seems a good way to watch some college favorites that didn't stick in the NFL. I don't see whats not to enjoy about 10 weekends of football viewing.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: XFL

Postby Mountainman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:21 pm

I watched some and really liked a couple of things they’re doing like the Kickoff and the way they do their Replays....... much better than what we’ve got in both College and the NFL. Wouldn’t surprise me if both adopt what the XFL is doing. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:06 pm

I haven't watched...but then, I didn't watch the Superbowl....

A college football guy only....

Well, I do watch the Premier League.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:24 am

I've not watched, but I have read some stuff about it. I've always thought these NFL clones came up with horrible names for their teams.

The Houston Roughnecks? BattleHawks? Dragons?

Those are HORRIBLE names IMO, and they should have come up with something a little more relevant to the City they are in like the NFL tried to do with most of their teams. It's like we are watching the BASEketball movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131857/
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:43 pm

I did watch some of the Seattle vs Tampa Bay game ...

Was actually rather entertaining. A defensive heavy game.

highfly24 wrote:I'm hoping it stays strong this weekend and the league can stick around. It isn't as gimmicky as the original version and I found the games to be enjoyable. It seems a good way to watch some college favorites that didn't stick in the NFL. I don't see whats not to enjoy about 10 weekends of football viewing.

Since the late 1990's, I've felt similar to Billybud; as I generally don't tune in to Pro Football. I've been a College Football enthusiast, and largely ignored the nfl over the last 20+ years.

On the other hand, I was thinking very similarly as you, Highfly.

Maybe we can get a League that isn't so individually self centered. I'd like to see some of these guys go on to realize their dream of playing for the pro's, even if they cannot get picked up by the nfl.

FOX seems to be on board, and they have quality commentary people. The differences in the rules are always a curious niche. And they didn't make the mistake of waiting til late spring or mid summer to begin their season.

I can't say whether I'll watch much more, because I've conditioned myself to care very little for Sports outside of College or the Olympics.

Of course, I'm typing this while watching the Daytona 500 --- massive crash with 17 laps to go. Took out half the cars on the track. A shame for Jimmy Johnson, as this is his final appearance in the Daytona, and he got bashed into from behind by others who already had collided --- Red Flag Stoppage to clean the track with 16 Laps left.

Anyway ...

For all that are involved with the XFL, I hope that they find success.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:11 pm

Now that I think about it ...

What is stopping the XFL from trumping the nfl with regards to College to Pro prospects?

I'm sure there are several guys who are being under sold in favor of some of the more Media pushed Familiars in the sport. How many feel as if the nfl is going to just pass them by, without so much as a second thought?

Maybe the XFL could pass a 2 year out of High School policy that would alter the nfl's practices.

I mean, if a player is likely to go really late in the draft, or not get picked up at all ... why then, not go a year early to the XFL and prove he's a Pro Quality Player?

Just a thought.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:06 am

The XFL could also end up being be the kiss of death for those of less than NFL caliber....

Like playing basketball in Europe, or CFL football in Canada, usually means that a guy won't see a US roster.

It's more of a late in career option, or an attempt to keep playing the game you love when it is the only option.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:11 am

I agree. If you go early you may not get the opportunity to jump into the league. The college option is still the best for development and exposure.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:31 am

"He Hate Me" did jump from XFL to NFL practice squad to being on a roster as a special teams player.

He ran a 4.25....Well known in Florida....

His younger brother, Chris Rainey, was also a speedster (4.36) and played on the 2009 Gator National Championship team and was on the National Champion 4X100 relay team..went on to play 18 games in the NFL before being cut and has been in the CFL for six years.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:59 pm

billybud wrote:The XFL could also end up being be the kiss of death for those of less than NFL caliber....

Like playing basketball in Europe, or CFL football in Canada, usually means that a guy won't see a US roster.

It's more of a late in career option, or an attempt to keep playing the game you love when it is the only option.

I do agree that it should be a later option, after college. I do think the NFL is paying attention and it could be a good way for those who were overshadowed or didn't do well enough at a combine to get a second look. Having a nice TV contract and the fact your still playing in this country gives it an advantage over the things you mentioned. There may not be many that get back up and stick but Flutie and Kurt Warner came from long forgotten to NFL stardom. I really like the replay system they have and think the college game would benefit greatly from doing similar. That guy is miked up and you hear the conversation with him and the on field officials.

Cane from the Bend wrote:Of course, I'm typing this while watching the Daytona 500 --- massive crash with 17 laps to go. Took out half the cars on the track. A shame for Jimmy Johnson, as this is his final appearance in the Daytona, and he got bashed into from behind by others who already had collided --- Red Flag Stoppage to clean the track with 16 Laps left.

I watched some of the Daytona. Not a big NASCAR guy but enjoy Daytona 500, Brickyard 400, and the triple header Memorial Day weekend; Monaco, Indy 500, Coke 600. That was the beginning of the mass chaos there. I knew there would be more wrecks, I shut it off the caution before Newman's wreck. Glad to see he is already back home. That was one of the worst I've seen.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:24 pm

ESPN learned about mikes and players....especially without a delay.

One foggy halloween night in Virginia, the fog was hanging over the field like a spooky background in a horror flick...

The first play from scrimmage, the camera focuses tight on the FSU defensive end Sterling Palmer. He is wearing a Darth Vader like dark face shield. Twin plumes of steam are blowing out from under it in angry bull snorts in the mist.

The Virginia OT sets and the camera focuses on Sterlings face as he sets..."Trick or treat, Mother effer" comes over the TV speakers and Sterling blasts into the backfield....

The talking head says, "Sorry about that folks"..they quit aiming the parabolic mike at the players....

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:45 pm

Yes I wouldn't recommend having it on the players or coaches. There have been several instances of XFL catching such phrases on sidelines.

Return to “General Discussion”