Bowl Season

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bowl Season

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:11 pm

This much I do know for sure.....it has been 2956days since Ohio State has lost to TTUN. There is always a bright side.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:23 pm

I am hopeful that this incident will cause College Football to revisit the role and authority of ‘instant replay’, as this call made by the instant replay guys shows that the pendulum has swung too far...... the reply guys absolutely cannot be allowed to rewrite, redefine or reinterpret any rule of the game. e.g. ‘make a football move’.

My two cents worth..... a good place to start would be to keep the game on the field and if a game official needs help or assistance with or to verify a call made on the field, have the game official buzz-up and ask, as opposed to the replay guys buzzing-down.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:33 pm

I would rather they just leave it on the field. If the official blows the call on the field, that is part of the game. The key isn’t to give them a do over. It is to train them better. Baseball has replay, which is completely stupid. MLB has some of the best officials in pro sports. They are right almost all the time. It sucks if a call gets screwed up by an on field ref, but it is harder to take when they overturn one that isn’t irrefutable. Both are part of the game now, but why have replay when it obviously can’t be better than the calls on the field.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:51 pm

.......hold onto your hat, Spence. The use of technology for ball and strike calling has been agreed upon and is in the recently agreed upon contact between Major League Baseball and the Umpires Association. :( :( :(
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:41 pm

Mountainman wrote:.......hold onto your hat, Spence. The use of technology for ball and strike calling has been agreed upon and is in the recently agreed upon contact between Major League Baseball and the Umpires Association. :( :( :(

That is completely ridiculous. That takes out some of the “art” in pitching. If they are going to do that set the machine to do it right. Chest to knees as the rule requires. That will let you know that there is an art to pitching and an art to calling balls and strikes. When a pitcher has full command of his stuff, say like Greg Maddox, he will widen the plate. Especially if the catcher frames it right. Take that away and Maddox wouldn’t last long in the game and that is the shame. I liked Nolan Ryan, but he was more a thrower than a pitcher most of his career. Baseball would move to all throwers. It takes away from the game IMO. Human interaction is why I like sports. If a computer can call balls and strikes then why not pitch, catch, and hit. Heck why not just make it all cgi? It would be a lot cheaper and us old guys could still play.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:37 pm

As a boy, I remember Ryne Duran with the Yankees (my boyhood team).

He was a thrower...glasses an inch thick and terrible vision, a wild pitch every now and then into the back screen, and a 100 mph ball, all kept batters on their toes.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:03 pm

billybud wrote:As a boy, I remember Ryne Duran with the Yankees (my boyhood team).

He was a thrower...glasses an inch thick and terrible vision, a wild pitch every now and then into the back screen, and a 100 mph ball, all kept batters on their toes.

Don Gullett was that way for the Reds.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:34 pm

It doesn't surprise me that Michigan is as physical as Alabama in their game, but what Minnesota's offense is pushing Auburn around and I didn't see that coming.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:35 pm

Alabama shut Michigan down the second half...pulled away. 35-16.

I did not think that Michigan matched up that well...

Minnesota and Auburn was a good match...Minnesota by 7...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:00 pm

billybud wrote:Alabama shut Michigan down the second half...pulled away. 35-16.

I did not think that Michigan matched up that well...

Minnesota and Auburn was a good match...Minnesota by 7...

Michigan is all about how Patterson goes. If he is on, they do alright. If not they aren’t good. I can’t say I shed a tear when Bama pulled ahead.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:18 pm

Wisconsin is like Ohio State. Doing everything they can to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:17 pm

And Wisconsin managed to do it...I thought that they would win this game...

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:49 pm

Georgia is doing their part in sending the B12 into the Stone Age.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:22 am

yep....looks like the Big 12 will have their one bowl winner in Texas...

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:26 am

Spence wrote:Georgia is doing their part in sending the B12 into the Stone Age.

Hopefully the ‘The Spread is Dead’........ and hopefully the Big XII realizes that and gets back to playing football, where defense and special teams and running the football matter, and thus the era of ‘Basketball on Grass’ will take its appropriate place in the ‘Graveyard of Innovative Gimmickry’ right beside the Wishbone. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”