The Media and what they see

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

The Media and what they see

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:06 pm

I have read several articles on how Michigan is light years behind Ohio State. Especially given the scores and the practice of writers to watch the highlights and write the story instead of watching the game. Michigan made some errors they ended up not being able to overcome. Ohio State made some errors that didn't end up costing them. That was the difference in the game. Michigan played a much tighter game than they score showed. It is funny because Penn State got credit for testing Ohio State and Penn State didn't play the Buckeyes as close. I think some people just look at the scores and don't actually pay attention to what is going on. The only place I saw a major deficit was Michigan's defensive line couldn't deal with Ohio State's Offensive line. Other than that and their lack of a true go to running back, the teams are fairly close talent wise.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: The Media and what they see

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Naw....the game was never....never in doubt.

You knew it was all over before the half...media is right.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:53 pm

billybud wrote:Naw....the game was never....never in doubt.

You knew it was all over before the half...media is right.

It wasn't. Michigan scored at the beginning of the 4th quarter to make it a 2 score game. Then they forced Ohio State to punt to get the ball back. It wasn't until about 3 minutes into the 4th quarter when Michigan put Haskins in the wildcat on 4th and 1 and he followed the wrong block and got stuffed, that the game was over. Had they made that 4th and 1, then things could have been interesting at the end. Because Ohio State got the ball on downs and then drove the field to score, taking the clock down to about 5:00, that Michigan ran out of time. I'm not saying that Michigan was a better team. Just that the amount that Ohio State was better has been over blown by the media. Ohio State's offensive line was decidedly better than Michigan's defensive line. Michigan's offensive line play better against the Buckeyes than any oline this year.

There wasn't a big push in coaching either. Ohio State, without Shawn Wade had the bright idea to go 4-4-3 on defense to start the game and play Michigan's talented receivers with an extra linebacker on the field instead of going 4-3-4 or into the nickel. Letting an inside lb try to cover Bell to start the game wasn't exactly a stroke of genius. I overall think Jeff Hafley has done a great job this year, but that was not his finest moment. Ohio State's weakness on defense is it's inside and to an extent, middle backers. They are pretty good against the run, but not good in coverage. Shawn Wade ,who is a safety that can run support like a linebacker, being out of the game made those weaknesses stand out.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:23 am

Spence wrote:I have read several articles on how Michigan is light years behind Ohio State. Especially given the scores and the practice of writers to watch the highlights and write the story instead of watching the game. Michigan made some errors they ended up not being able to overcome. Ohio State made some errors that didn't end up costing them. That was the difference in the game. Michigan played a much tighter game than they score showed. It is funny because Penn State got credit for testing Ohio State and Penn State didn't play the Buckeyes as close. I think some people just look at the scores and don't actually pay attention to what is going on. The only place I saw a major deficit was Michigan's defensive line couldn't deal with Ohio State's Offensive line. Other than that and their lack of a true go to running back, the teams are fairly close talent wise.

I believe you’re right on target with the media and the Buckeyes’ offensive line. That offensive line, along with that running back who’s style is perfect for what that line does really well, is just a thing of beauty as far as football is concerned.

As far as the “light years” is concerned, sportswriters are just full of overstatements and hyperbole this day and time. They are more like Brother Loves Traveling Salvation Show where the purpose is not ones salvation, it’s the collection plate.

Where I saw The Buckeyes way ahead of the Wolverines was in preparation, execution and coaching. When the Buckeyes came out in the second half in a Nickel Defense I thought at that point, ‘this game is over.....’, meaning they were prepared to do it, they executed it, and to me that’s coaching.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:05 am

I think you are right that the Ohio State coaching staff adjusted well. I also think the kid who played nickel worked out the first half butterflies and settled down. On the other side, though, the UM staff put together the best plan of attack any one has on Ohio State this year. They just didn’t adjust with the flow of the game and they show themselves in the foot a couple times. Ohio State got lucky too that the officiating crew was letting them play or Okudah could have got flagged a couple times. Which could have also changed the game. Anyway, the game within the game was closer than lots of people are saying. Sometimes you make a mistake here or there and it snowballs on you. Ohio State made some mistakes against Penn State and survived them. Michigan made some mistakes during the game and couldn’t overcome them. And also to win sometimes you need a favorable bounce. Like Dobbins putting the ball on the turf and it bouncing right back into his hands. Luck plays a part. You have to be good to get lucky, but you have to luck to keep winning. Michigan was the best team Ohio State played this year to date. Go back and change five or six plays and the final score could have been in doubt. That is what I saw watching the football game. The score didn’t tell the story. The tv guys just need to keep their jobs and unfortunately most of them act like political reporters. They like to stir the pot and it is easier than actually paying attention to what is going on.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:17 am

I’m not saying this because I am disappointed in how Ohio State is playing, just pointing out that the narrative portrayed and what actually is happening are not usually 100% in sync. As is the case with all the top 3 teams we are touting as great, none have actually played anyone out of conference so none of us really know if they are ranked correctly or the dominance we are seeing is a result of poor competition. If you are only going to have 4 teams I think you need to have better scheduling among peers in rival conferences.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:35 am

A two score game was about as close as it got....which, to me is not a close game....I guess we all see things differently...Now, Alabama-Auburn was more of a close game...leads changing back and forth,

The Buckeye out come was never in doubt to me...go up 14 points and hold it.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:50 am

billybud wrote:A two score game was about as close as it got....which, to me is not a close game....I guess we all see things differently...Now, Alabama-Auburn was more of a close game...leads changing back and forth,

The Buckeye out come was never in doubt to me...go up 14 points and hold it.

I agree with Auburn-Alabama. It was a good game. A 2 score game and having the ball makes it a closer.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Alabama and Auburn was a fun and very entertaining game to watch that was full of atmosphere, suspense and drama. It was made for TV and very appealing to college football fans in general and an unworldly experience for the fans of Alabama and Auburn...... but, a Crimson Tide without Tua was akin to an Elvis Concert with me singing instead of Elvis. :shock: :shock:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:18 pm

Yeah, that QB isn't ready for prime time yet. But, Joe Burrow lost the competition with Haskins before last season started. He went to LSU and now is probably going to win the Heisman. Not only that, but he is mostly responsible for unseating Alabama as a playoff fixture. Just because he wasn't quite ready a year ago, doesn't mean he won't ever be ready.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:26 pm

Spence wrote:Yeah, that QB isn't ready for prime time yet. But, Joe Burrow lost the competition with Haskins before last season started. He went to LSU and now is probably going to win the Heisman. Not only that, but he is mostly responsible for unseating Alabama as a playoff fixture. Just because he wasn't quite ready a year ago, doesn't mean he won't ever be ready.

We’ll see how Joe Burrow fares this weekend against a really good defense, that Bulldog defense is about as good as it gets, and their secondary is top notch. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:29 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:Yeah, that QB isn't ready for prime time yet. But, Joe Burrow lost the competition with Haskins before last season started. He went to LSU and now is probably going to win the Heisman. Not only that, but he is mostly responsible for unseating Alabama as a playoff fixture. Just because he wasn't quite ready a year ago, doesn't mean he won't ever be ready.

We’ll see how Joe Burrow fares this weekend against a really good defense, that Bulldog defense is about as good as it gets, and their secondary is top notch. 8)

It is going to be a tough game for him. Burrow doesn't have much of a deep ball. I think that was the reason he didn't win the competition with Haskins. I think the fact that he can operate the passing game efficiently and run the read option, will make it tough on the Georgia defense. I think Fromm is the one who as to have a career day.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:50 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

It is going to be a tough game for him. Burrow doesn't have much of a deep ball. I think that was the reason he didn't win the competition with Haskins. I think the fact that he can operate the passing game efficiently and run the read option, will make it tough on the Georgia defense. I think Fromm is the one who as to have a career day.

It’s gonna be interesting, we’ll see if the adage about “defense wins championships” holds true in this game. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

It’s gonna be interesting, we’ll see if the adage about “defense wins championships” holds true in this game. :wink:

I think Georgia has a real shot in this game. LSU's defense can be had, it is a matter if Kirby and From can take advantage of it. Ohio State's defense can be had too if you make them play the safeties back. Their linebackers are the weak link in their defense. With defenses it just depends on the match ups. I think Ohio State can handle Wisconsin, even LSU if they can man up on Moss, but being able to stop Clemson will be a problem with their linebacker corp. If they play the safeties back the running game will be there, especially the read option.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:22 am

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

It sure didn't help Utah last night, though.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”