I believe CFP Chairman just said.....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: I believe CFP Chairman just said.....

Postby Mountainman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:04 pm

Spence wrote:That is why I like the conference champ model. When you conference and you're in. Then the schedule doesn't matter either. The only thing that matters is having a good enough record in your conference to make it to the conference championship game and then win it. Then playoff the conference champs seeding based off of SOS or wins or whatever anyone wants to do. Everyone has a conference championship now so that isn't even an issue. Single elimination - one and your done.

The notion I’m advocating and vetting here on the board wouldn’t have a conference championship game. That game would be a part of the 16 team 4 round playoff to determine the National Title. My reasoning behind it is a scenario where one team in the game would be 11-1 while the other would be 8–4 and the 8-4 team would upset the 11-1 team and make the playoff. That’s why I’m using only the cumulative points of each team amassed during the regular 12 game season...... along with consideration that there are 5 Power Five Conferences that causes a bracketing problem.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:55 pm

I’m not sure I want the conference games not to play a part. I don’t think that the conference championship game could serve as the first round of the playoff if it was don’t the right way, but the conferences would have to consolidate and teams would have to be cut from the league.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:21 pm

Spence wrote:I’m not sure I want the conference games not to play a part. I don’t think that the conference championship game could serve as the first round of the playoff if it was don’t the right way, but the conferences would have to consolidate and teams would have to be cut from the league.

The make-up of Conferences this day and time are pretty much two mini-conferences, and every conference member doesn’t play one another annually now, so Crowning a Conference Champ is a bit of a misnomer. In any event, if both divisional champs have the cumulative points they’ll make the 16 team field. Hell, there very well could be 3 or 4 teams from the same conference make the field.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 pm

I actually suggested something like that a few years ago. Essentially five 24 team conferences spit into 12 team division that played round robin in their conference. Then the conference championship would be round one of the playoff.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:52 pm

Mountainman wrote:.....the committee will factor in whether injuried players play in a game that results in a loss. They were talking about Tua and the LSU game.

You gotta be kidding me..... what a crock....... if I heard that right. What the hell is next??? Will they factor in a dropped pass because a guy usually makes that catch????

This foolishness has gotten out of hand, and only getting worse. :roll:

I feel they know an Alabama loss is coming at the hands of LSU. And I couldn't be happier about that possibility. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:13 am

Derek wrote:
Mountainman wrote:.....the committee will factor in whether injuried players play in a game that results in a loss. They were talking about Tua and the LSU game.

You gotta be kidding me..... what a crock....... if I heard that right. What the hell is next??? Will they factor in a dropped pass because a guy usually makes that catch????

This foolishness has gotten out of hand, and only getting worse. :roll:

I feel they know an Alabama loss is coming at the hands of LSU. And I couldn't be happier about that possibility. 8)

From what I’ve seen, I give LSU the edge too, especially in the trenches. 8)

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:19 am

Not many conference divisions have a possibly epic intradivisional match this year like the Bama-LSU match...two undefeated heavies. Penn State-Ohio State is the other game I look forward to.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:27 am

Spence wrote:I actually suggested something like that a few years ago. Essentially five 24 team conferences spit into 12 team division that played round robin in their conference. Then the conference championship would be round one of the playoff.

Yep, conferences went off the rails during the last realignment, TV sets and the number of eyeballs were the priority. Money by the wheelbarrow load does indeed cloud vision and judgement, it really makes it easy to justify just about anything one wants to do. :wink:

I suspect they’ll be another realignment come along sooner or later, maybe they will consider and do what’s best for themselves AND the game next time around....... uh, don’t bet on it, they’ll take the money again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:47 am

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:I actually suggested something like that a few years ago. Essentially five 24 team conferences spit into 12 team division that played round robin in their conference. Then the conference championship would be round one of the playoff.

Yep, conferences went off the rails during the last realignment, TV sets and the number of eyeballs were the priority. Money by the wheelbarrow load does indeed cloud vision and judgement, it really makes it easy to justify just about anything one wants to do. :wink:

I suspect they’ll be another realignment come along sooner or later, maybe they will consider and do what’s best for themselves AND the game next time around....... uh, don’t bet on it, they’ll take the money again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is all about TV sets. That is why Rutgers is in the B1G now.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:01 am

Mountainman wrote:

Here we go ...

I found this to be a really good conversation on the topic; but it really resonates with this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pf_-IWgB6U

I feel like the whole thing is worth the view. Though, @ 9:33 it gets into the broader spectrum of where we're heading.

I was somewhat surprised to hear Joel actually say the Pac-12 was on shaky ground, and about to fall apart. Up til now, everyone has been saying it's the Big XII.

I personally never bought into that. I do feel like other conferences attempted a coup to collapse the Big 12, which backfired when they extended the invitation to West Virginia, and their Acceptance.

Anyway, the topic goes in the direction of what I've previously said.

There will be an 8 team playoff, allowing for the Power5 all to have their conference Champion an auto bid.

No speculation about the other 3, however. I still maintain my position --- they are going to expand the playoffs, and still box out the Group of 5.

I think they've already started conditioning people to accept that, by having UCF fall outside of the top 10 in the playoff committee's poll, when they were undefeated. That was especially evident, when the poll came out on a week were Oregon had sat out idle, coming off of a loss, and jump UCF in the standings, where the Knights had won a game.

Rightfully so, or wrongfully so, not my opinion. Merely an observation.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:40 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Here we go ...

I found this to be a really good conversation on the topic; but it really resonates with this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pf_-IWgB6U

I feel like the whole thing is worth the view. Though, @ 9:33 it gets into the broader spectrum of where we're heading.

I was somewhat surprised to hear Joel actually say the Pac-12 was on shaky ground, and about to fall apart. Up til now, everyone has been saying it's the Big XII.

I personally never bought into that. I do feel like other conferences attempted a coup to collapse the Big 12, which backfired when they extended the invitation to West Virginia, and their Acceptance.

Anyway, the topic goes in the direction of what I've previously said.

There will be an 8 team playoff, allowing for the Power5 all to have their conference Champion an auto bid.

No speculation about the other 3, however. I still maintain my position --- they are going to expand the playoffs, and still box out the Group of 5.

I think they've already started conditioning people to accept that, by having UCF fall outside of the top 10 in the playoff committee's poll, when they were undefeated. That was especially evident, when the poll came out on a week were Oregon had sat out idle, coming off of a loss, and jump UCF in the standings, where the Knights had won a game.

Rightfully so, or wrongfully so, not my opinion. Merely an observation.

What they’re selling is a True National Champion and that they know how best to determine which are the ‘best teams’ to decide the champion.

IMHO, there will always be legitimate dissent until scheduling, selection and on the field success (winning games) are the method of determining the champion.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:49 am

There are too many teams to actually have an undisputed champ. The closest thing you can get it a tourney champ settled on the field by all the conference champs. No subjective way will ever be right or fair.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:12 pm

With 130 or so teams, we do a pretty reasonable job, right now, of putting the best into the CFP....the picks of the Committee, AP, and of the Massey Composite (110 computer rankings)...pretty much follow each other.

Conference Champs are what they are...but what they aren't is better than some teams who are not champs.

This year, Bama or LSU will lose to each other...But please don't try to convince me that CUSA leader La Tech is a better team than one of them, or AAC conference leader Cincinnati wouldn't be a two TD underdog...or PAC 12 leader Oregon who has already lost to Auburn (who LSU & Florida beat)...

Conference Champs are conference champs...but not the best teams....and the best should play.

I hated the 2010 year...when 8-4 UConn went as Big East Champs to play Oklahoma in the Fiesta...and were blown out by four touchdowns...the fact that Louisville had blown out UConn 26-0, and that Rutgers and Temple beat them, didn't factor in since the Huskies were champs..
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:11 pm

I could not agree more with the thinking that a National Championship should be determined by ‘good on good’ game winners.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:30 pm

billybud wrote:With 130 or so teams, we do a pretty reasonable job, right now, of putting the best into the CFP....the picks of the Committee, AP, and of the Massey Composite (110 computer rankings)...pretty much follow each other.

Conference Champs are what they are...but what they aren't is better than some teams who are not champs.

This year, Bama or LSU will lose to each other...But please don't try to convince me that CUSA leader La Tech is a better team than one of them, or AAC conference leader Cincinnati wouldn't be a two TD underdog...or PAC 12 leader Oregon who has already lost to Auburn (who LSU & Florida beat)...

Conference Champs are conference champs...but not the best teams....and the best should play.

I hated the 2010 year...when 8-4 UConn went as Big East Champs to play Oklahoma in the Fiesta...and were blown out by four touchdowns...the fact that Louisville had blown out UConn 26-0, and that Rutgers and Temple beat them, didn't factor in since the Huskies were champs..

I absolutely agree that having all conference champs play will have teams in that aren't as good as some other teams not there. I don't care. Can you tell me that the four teams in the playoff now are absolutely the best teams? Because there has been a dispute since the 1st year. Ohio State over Baylor was a huge stink. Just because Ohio State won doesn't mean they were better than Baylor (who didn't play), that year. It just means they were better on game day than Alabama and Oregon. It doesn't even mean they were better than Florida State that year. So if we can't do it right subjectively, then why not just play champs. It is still very likely one of the four best teams in the country will win the championship. The basketball tournament serves as a testament. Even with the way the have convoluted it with all other teams, the winner almost always comes from the top 4 seeds in each bracket.

Return to “General Discussion”