I believe CFP Chairman just said.....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

I believe CFP Chairman just said.....

Postby Mountainman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:07 pm

.....the committee will factor in whether injuried players play in a game that results in a loss. They were talking about Tua and the LSU game.

You gotta be kidding me..... what a crock....... if I heard that right. What the hell is next??? Will they factor in a dropped pass because a guy usually makes that catch????

This foolishness has gotten out of hand, and only getting worse. :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: I believe CFP Chairman just said.....

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Maybe someone should tell them to consider why a player such as Tua got injured in the first place.

Maybe he put himself in a position to take a hit that he shouldn't have ...

Maybe he didn't get the protection he needed during the play that put him out of the game ...

Maybe if Alabama had a better playbook Tua wouldn't have gotten hurt ...

Maybe the Committee needs to quit making excuses to get the teams they want to be in the playoff ...

I wonder how their opinion would fetter had Hurts not transferred to Oklahoma.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:09 pm

Mountainman wrote:.....the committee will factor in whether injuried players play in a game that results in a loss. They were talking about Tua and the LSU game.

You gotta be kidding me..... what a crock....... if I heard that right. What the hell is next??? Will they factor in a dropped pass because a guy usually makes that catch????

This foolishness has gotten out of hand, and only getting worse. :roll:

Making up rules as they go along. There is no such thing as an objective group of people. Whether you agree or disagree with their findings, they are not objective. And this group gets more political every year.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:17 am

I watched a reply of show, College Football Playoff on ESPN, after the World Series Game last night. And yep, that’s what the man said...... ‘players absent from games would be factored into the selection process’, in the context of ‘ What if Tua doesn’t play against LSU.... ‘ and their perceived notion of the Four BestTeams.

Considering this, that settles it for me. As suspected, This thing is based on perception over performance and deserves over earned........ not exclusively, but can be a determining factor. That’s sad.....
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:30 am

Soooo?

Will they factor in those players slated to be high draft picks who may opt out of a CFP/Bowl game?

LSU lost four of their best defenders who opted out before playing UCF in the Fiesta Bowl....

Or would they drop a WVU who had their QB opt out ?

Or drop Michigan who had three starters opt out before the Peach Bowl...?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:33 am

I think that the WVU-Syracuse match up woukd have been a far better ball game with WVU's Will Grier at QB...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:58 am

.......don’t forget Coaching Changes or if several members of a team under consideration have the flu or an All-American breaking-up with his girlfriend.

Subjective Selection of teams is akin to and in contrast to having 1000 frame per second cameras on aerial wires, along the sidelines, on the pylons, on the goal lines, on the end lines, a bunch of guys running around with portable cameras on their shoulder, and a New York Base full of replay guys to review ever play and catch, and then have a couple of guys on the sideline hold a stick with a 10 yard length chain determining a First Down. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:03 pm

If I were Saban I wouldn't play Tua in the LSU game. The committee just said they get pass if Tua is injured. If I'm Saban and they tell me that, then I hold Tua out and if I lose, I would blame it on an injury. That is win win.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Some folks praise the NCAA basketball tournament...but they also account for injured players who were or may be out.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-committee-chair-injuries-will-play-a-factor-in-seeding/
Last edited by billybud on Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:08 pm

and, of course...I support the message in that interview that seems overshadowed....

“We’re looking at all factors,” Mullens said. “The No. 1 priority is winning all these games, but it also does matter who you play. So it’s a mix of both. Obviously, you want to win every game, but you also have to take into account we’re trying to look at college football when there’s all different types of schedules of who you have played to achieve the record that you’ve earned.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:48 pm

......yep that makes the point alright, scheduling is subjective too, as well as wins...... and I recall a ‘13th data point’ knocked out TCU and Baylor, but not the Fighting Irish.

Showing that not only the selection criteria is subjective, but also the application of the criteria is subjective.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:51 pm

We can whine about committees...but can we do better?

Yep...we can yell "computers"....which are just man designed algorithmns. Some flawed...some not as much.

Today...perusing computer rankings...you have computers that rank Baylor as #4 and another as #22....LSU #1 and #11, Clemson #1 and #7, Oregon #3 and #17

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:22 pm

Mountainman wrote:......yep that makes the point alright, scheduling is subjective too, as well as wins...... and I recall a ‘13th data point’ knocked out TCU and Baylor, but not the Fighting Irish.

And Alabama with 12 data points in 2017.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:02 pm

billybud wrote:We can whine about committees...but can we do better?

Yep...we can yell "computers"....which are just man designed algorithms. Some flawed...some not as much.

Today...perusing computer rankings...you have computers that rank Baylor as #4 and another as #22....LSU #1 and #11, Clemson #1 and #7, Oregon #3 and #17

And systems that use those models also factor in wins/losses as a secondary stand alone algorithm, then use all of these computer values as a compiled component to average out a team's ranking, rather than just choosing a single method.

If a team's statistics are used to formulate their net gain on the field vs yardage allowed. That is 1 computer factor. But in a poll average where other statistics are assimilated, that 1 factor sees #11 LSU balanced to #5.5 when averaged with #1 LSU from another computer model.

Yes, we could, and have, had better than what is presently used.

I liked the BCS better with all of its flaws. At least, then, all 5 games mattered to the 10 teams selected.

What we have now, are players opting out, because those other games mean basically nothing in context, since the once revered BCS Bowls are now categorized as a consolation prize. Where the mainstay prestige of appearing in a BCS venue, is now looked at as a lack of success.

What we have now, does not just separate the haves from the have nots ... it also rewards the separation of the have mores from the haves.

And I will reiterate a comment I made either a or more back, which is simply this.

If we are to believe that the only factor that matters is Schedule Strength.
And we are to believe that the SEC is the epitome of Conference Strength.
If we are subject to believe that the SEC is far better in a League of its Own.

Then maybe they should be.

Let the SEC pretend they are the end all be all of the college football world. Let them have their own 4 team Tournament, and exclude the rest of the NCAA.

They were already trying to figure out how to get the conversation started about what scenario we'd see where 3 teams from the SEC would be selected for the playoff.

It's bad enough when you are housing a tournament in a division that only gives an avenue for half of the conferences a legitimate chance of appearing in.

It's even worse when you fracture the criteria to eliminate 3 of the 5 suppose conferences, in favor of a subjective perception as to who the best teams really are.

However, to assume by any means that choosing 3 teams from one conference, because of biased archetype, is somehow fair or balanced ... well, that's just downright disingenuous.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:56 pm

billybud wrote:We can whine about committees...but can we do better?

Yep...we can yell "computers"....which are just man designed algorithmns. Some flawed...some not as much.

We can't do better. That has been proven. So if we are going to have a playoff, then why not playoff the conference champs and let teams settle it on the field. Let the conference champ with the toughest finishing schedule be the one seed and etc. At the end crown the one still standing champ and go home.

Return to “General Discussion”