If You Like To Watch Offensive Line Play.......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

If You Like To Watch Offensive Line Play.......

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:51 pm

........ as I do, I suggest you watch the Utah Utes/Southern Cal and the Georgia Bulldogs/Notre Dame Fighting Irish Games this weekend.

The Utes and Bulldogs have two of the best in College Football. I really enjoy watching how opposing defensive coordinators go able defending it...... they can drop down a safety or crowd a corner, but one missed assignment or a missed tackle and somebody runs a long way. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: If You Like To Watch Offensive Line Play.......

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Notre Dame and Georgia look good in the stats....Utah needs to move it up if their O line is that good.

Total Offense....Utah #52

Third Down Conversions...Utah #54

1st Downs...#65

Scoring Offense...#60
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:19 pm

........and btw, there’s another matchup between the Big Uglies where Ugliest on both sides of the ball, offensively and defensively, will determine the outcome. And if you like line play, check out the Badgers and the Wolverines, this one is going to be brutal in the trenches. 8)

P.S. Out of my respect for one of our fellow posters, I did not mention either of these schools by name. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:25 pm

........and for all you music lovers out there in football land.

Enjoy. :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlS-w9tSgjs

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:48 pm

Just what is it about Sweet Caroline and sports? Easy to sing, I guess...you hear it in Premier League matches, baseball,

From every Red Sox game at Fenway Park to the games of the Alberquque Isotopes...

Pitt fans sing it at every home game (before WVU picked it up) and it's the fan song of UNC, Iowa State, and I am sure, others.

My wife and I have always sung along and laughed....great fun.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:26 pm

billybud wrote:Just what is it about Sweet Caroline and sports? Easy to sing, I guess...you hear it in Premier League matches, baseball,

From every Red Sox game at Fenway Park to the games of the Alberquque Isotopes...

Pitt fans sing it at every home game (before WVU picked it up) and it's the fan song of UNC, Iowa State, and I am sure, others.

My wife and I have always sung along and laughed....great fun.

Oh No...... you don’t do that in Morgantown, you’ll only hear that ‘noise’ about 70 miles North.

ESPN’s Game Day Show came to Morgantown back when Erin Andrews was with them and she was the ‘Dream Girl’ and ‘Babe’ of most every 18 thru 22 years old male on College Campuses across the country, the Fraternity Choir showed-up to sing to Ms Andrews. Dressed in their tuxedos, they sang of number of songs to her as a tribute to her sweetness, and beauty along with “I Want a Girl, Just Like the Girl, That Married Dear Ole Dad”...... and their finale was ‘Sweet Carolina - WVU Edition’.

The place went BANANAS..... :lol:

Mountaineers just like to mock the Panther Fans with their own rendition..... :wink:

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:49 pm

This is a good weekend for games. Those 3 matchups listed above should all be entertaining. I think if you like defensive games, Utah State/San Diego State will be a fun battle. If you want offense, Texas/Ok State could easily combine for 100 points. Will Stanford rebound this week, does BYU keep it up? Mich St/NWestern, Boise/Air Force, coast to coast there are some enjoyable or intriguing games in every conference this week.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:29 pm

---

And there's the game I was going to mention for Offensive Line play ...

Texas had shown that even those SEC beasts can be tamed up front. Texas even got into the red zone 3 more times than LSU did. Only, they kept going for it on 4th down, rather than kicking for the points, early.

As per Michigan & Notre Dame; I just found out that a friend, whose nephew is a Line-Backer for the Irish [Tongan], was given 4 tickets to the game in Ann Arbor. So, my wife & I will be going to the ND/Michigan game on Oct 26th [for free, no less].

It's ironic, because, even though they are his family, they do not like Notre Dame. So, of the four of us that will be there together, only my wife is a ND fan. I'll be attending in Miami Hurricanes fan wear.

Speaking of more irony ... Highfly; You mentioned Utah ...

The Notre Dame player who got those tickets for us, actually wanted to choose Utah over Notre Dame. It was his father that told him; "You better go to Notre Dame. You're talking about the premier of College educations in the Country." --- Which is why he decided to stay home [he actually was a local kid who played high school football from where my wife Graduated]

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:34 pm

Mountainman wrote:........ as I do, I suggest you watch the Utah Utes/Southern Cal and the Georgia Bulldogs/Notre Dame Fighting Irish Games this weekend.

The Utes and Bulldogs have two of the best in College Football. I really enjoy watching how opposing defensive coordinators go able defending it...... they can drop down a safety or crowd a corner, but one missed assignment or a missed tackle and somebody runs a long way. 8)

Speaking of Utah/USC; One of tomorrow night's games ...

Also on tomorrow night, Air Force @ Boise State. Which also looks promising.

Boise had a couple of tough played close games [FSU & Marshall]
Air Force just knocked off Colorado

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:32 pm

I have followed WVU for37 years....

Always liked singing along to "Simple Gifts" and, of course, "Country Roads"....

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:40 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:---

And there's the game I was going to mention for Offensive Line play ...

Texas had shown that even those SEC beasts can be tamed up front. Texas even got into the red zone 3 more times than LSU did. Only, they kept going for it on 4th down, rather than kicking for the points, early.

As per Michigan & Notre Dame; I just found out that a friend, whose nephew is a Line-Backer for the Irish [Tongan], was given 4 tickets to the game in Ann Arbor. So, my wife & I will be going to the ND/Michigan game on Oct 26th [for free, no less].

It's ironic, because, even though they are his family, they do not like Notre Dame. So, of the four of us that will be there together, only my wife is a ND fan. I'll be attending in Miami Hurricanes fan wear.

Speaking of more irony ... Highfly; You mentioned Utah ...

The Notre Dame player who got those tickets for us, actually wanted to choose Utah over Notre Dame. It was his father that told him; "You better go to Notre Dame. You're talking about the premier of College educations in the Country." --- Which is why he decided to stay home [he actually was a local kid who played high school football from where my wife Graduated]

Good for you and your ‘Mrs. Sugar-Cane’......... I looked up on Stub Hub some of the ticket prices at the Big House for the Notre Dame Game.

Section 23 Row 70 are asking $4,750.00 EACH. :D

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:48 pm

---

Yeah, and the Game next week vs Virginia isn't a cheap ticket, either.

The difference for us, 3 1/2 hour drive to Ann Arbor [plus some extra for game day traffic]

Game vs Virginia @ Notre Dame Stadium -- about a 5 minute drive --- I could literally walk to the stadium faster than I can drive to Ann Arbor.

Should be fun. The people we're going with have never been to an ND game, and were going to take tickets to a home game. But the Husband said, "Michigan is the biggest College Stadium, so I wanted to see it."

It'll be his first trip to the Big House, and a Notre Dame game. my wife & I just get to go along for the ride :D

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:42 am

We went to the Big House in '91....good memories. Impressive crowd.

Made a vacation out of it and dropped by the old family farm in Neenah, Wisconsin....a long days drive from Ann Arbor.

AS a boy educated in the Catholic school system, Notre Dame was almost pushed upon us....I liked Notre Dame until I stopped liking them.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:45 am

highfly24 wrote:This is a good weekend for games. Those 3 matchups listed above should all be entertaining. I think if you like defensive games, Utah State/San Diego State will be a fun battle. If you want offense, Texas/Ok State could easily combine for 100 points. Will Stanford rebound this week, does BYU keep it up? Mich St/NWestern, Boise/Air Force, coast to coast there are some enjoyable or intriguing games in every conference this week.

Absolutely..... a few questions may be answered. Can anyone in the Big XII challenge Oklahoma? Does Notre Dame belong in the CFP speculation? Are the Buckeyes quietly lurking in the Big Ten shadows thinking ...... “we’ll just see about all this media jabber”? Will Air Force enjoy their trip to ‘the wild Blue Yonder’? Will the Mountainman hibernate before or after Bowl Season this year? 8)

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:00 am

As I read the title of this thread it occurred to me this covers every college football team in the country...the definition of "Offensive" just changes for some.

Like most of you, I have been to many college games. But there is a real difference in my feelings for the venue and for the teams that play there. I have never liked any of the teams where the Rose Bowl was their home stadium, mainly UCLA, but there have been others. But sitting in the Rose Bowl, even when there were hardly any seats filled, it was like being in a Sacred Shrine and you could feel it the reverence of it all. Husky Stadium is awe-inspiring. Camp Randal with 80,000 people still gives me shivers.

And yet some of the most memorable games, there were wooden bleachers and no sliding or slivers in the butt.

I miss being there, but my memories are best served, as Mr. Billybud says, sitting in my recliner. Mrs. Donovan sometimes sits with me, she really only liked football when one of the kids were playing and then I was embarrassed and so proud to sit by her.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”