College Admission Scandal

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

College Admission Scandal

Postby donovan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:00 am

Recent charges of schools accepting athletes that never have played the sport are being prosecuted for this and bribery, cheating etc. It's wrong the government says.

However, accepting athletes into a sports program where the athlete is functionally illiterate and doing crazy things to make them appear they are being educated is all right. Been going on for years.

When I first entered college there were no entrance tests. Just apply. Old has an advantage. I did cheat on an assignment as a Freshman and got caught, dragged before the student tribunal and was allowed to stay, on probation. Today 68% of all papers have plagiarism. Bless Grammarly's heart.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: College Admission Scandal

Postby Mountainman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:32 am

Well, maybe we should applaud the colleges and universities for their consistenticy of ‘doing crazy things to make them appear they are being educated’ by awarding degrees to not only athletes, but to a variety of ‘students’.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:56 pm

I'm surprised at the news media's "surprise" that this could happen. Especially when some of them have probably been involved in this whole thing. To think that a college would except money in exchange for access or a favorable review. Is that how the university system has always worked? The government who is prosecuting this also grants schools money to provide research that concludes ideas they want to promote. To conclude that these schools do not operate politically, considering the current climate of the country would seem more absurd.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:53 pm

That's what I think.

Radical acceptance almost demands that when there are vast amounts of money and or power and control that there will be corruption.
Last edited by donovan on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:57 am

I’ll be interested to see how the various schools and school accreditation bodies deal with this going forward....... appears those Ivy Walls and Lecture Halls have some issues that need to be addressed.

In Southern Cal’s case one might ask just WTF is going on??? After they let Pete Carroll bring Hollywood into the Football Program, and wreck it, they’ve now managed to permit Hollywood to have access to the Admissions Office. :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:16 pm

I think they will deal with it the same way they always have....except a little more quietly. There were go betweens in place that were in business to connect the dots that may no longer operate in plain sight. This sounds quite a bit like lobbying in Washington doesn't it? We all know that congress absolutely hate that set up. :oops: When our government is the most corrupt entity in our country, why would we expect the schools that create those same politicians would not be? It is funny how the elitists seem to be eating their own in this scandal. After they sacrifice a few of them, they will go back to what they do.

I have always said that if you want to solve the problem with illegals, make it a felony to hire someone without documentation. Same goes for this situation. Take the schools down. Take away all public funding, grant, and research money for schools who are caught cheating, either Athletically or Academically. Quit putting the emphasis on the people involved from the outside and start punishing the schools where it hurt them the most - in the pocketbook - and they will quit cheating. Take away their non profit status. While lots of these schools are private, they all receive government money in some fashion or form. Cut them off and this doesn't happen again.

It wouldn't hurt to do the same thing to politicians either. Wouldn't that be a refreshing change?

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25 am

They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:37 am

Donovan is right...

People with money have always sought "work arounds"...be it zoning changes or college admissions...and there are always folks who can facillitate their desires if they are willing to pay.

Actually it is the American way and this is small stuff.....just a small outgrowth of how we craft laws....in my lobbying days, money for "favors" was a constant...although disguised in the form of campaign contributions or promises of an organization's election support.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:12 pm

billybud wrote:Donovan is right...

People with money have always sought "work arounds"...be it zoning changes or college admissions...and there are always folks who can facillitate their desires if they are willing to pay.

Actually it is the American way and this is small stuff.....just a small outgrowth of how we craft laws....in my lobbying days, money for "favors" was a constant...although disguised in the form of campaign contributions or promises of an organization's election support.

That is exactly right. What amazes me is all the people on the television news and in Washington who act surprised about it. Most of them have done something like this. Nancy Pelosi's husband made a fortune "guessing" what companies stocks were going to go up or down based on who were awarded contracts, who weren't, and what government policies and decisions were going to be made. He was really good at knowing what was going to happen before it happened.

The fact is, though, if I am looking for people to hire; I look for qualification and experience first. If I see an applicant that I know or know their family then it absolutely gives them an advantage or disadvantage depending on what I know. If I know someone who is just as qualified or close to another person in the applicant pool and I have a favorable of that person's work ethic or that of his families, then I look at them first. That is human nature IMO. That gets you in the door. Once in, you have to prove yourself the same way that anyone else would. The same way I did when I came to work for my family originally. I didn't start out with them. I worked for a larger company first. They came to me and offered me the job - for a variety of reasons, but one for sure was that they knew me very well. I started in sales and was their top sales person by my third year. I was good at what I did, but at the end of the day, they wanted me because they already knew me and my work ethic. And, in all honesty, they wanted someone who could eventually be in charge. The second part of the job, I got because of who I was first, and what I could do second. Whether the employee is related to me or someone I know compared to someone I don't, it does make a difference in hiring. That is the way it works everywhere that I know about.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:46 am

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:00 pm

Unfortunately there are more of these people in the world now. Always trying to come up with a reason to charge for nothing. They used to call those people grifters.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:20 pm

Spence wrote:Unfortunately there are more of these people in the world now. Always trying to come up with a reason to charge for nothing. They used to call those people grifters.

Yep, I’m just curious as to how this process of cheating the Admission System/Process works. At this point it appears there are 3 different ‘players’ with different roles, the Wannabe, the Fixer, and the Inside Man. Pretty typical of unethical, illegal and criminal types of scams and shams......... still waiting how the ‘authorities’ address and deal with this.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:41 pm

It really shouldn't surprise anyone who has sent a kid to college in the last 15 years. It is such a racket. You have tuition. Then you have room and board - and I know none of this is different than 40 years ago when I went, but the the price of room and board can be more than the price of tuition. Sometimes a significant amount more. Also, forget buying used books, they change too often to get a used book. And you really don't buy an actual book. You pay 100's of dollars for a Xeroxed version of a book that would be hard to use twice if you could pass it along. Then take the professors, they grade on curves, give bonuses and extra credit. It isn't about higher education any more, it is about this believe that it is impossible to get through life without a college education - even if a lot of these kids don't actually get one. I'm not talking about just athletes, this includes students who's parents are paying lots of money to help give their kids an edge and they aren't getting it. Basically just paying for a piece of paper at the end. So I would ask "how is this any different then what these people are doing?" I don't see a difference, except we got off a lot cheaper.

The higher education system in this country if sorely broken. It is a factory generating jobs to support it's employee's without regard to turning out a good product. It seems they have learned a lot from our government.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Spence wrote:It really shouldn't surprise anyone who has sent a kid to college in the last 15 years. It is such a racket. You have tuition. Then you have room and board - and I know none of this is different than 40 years ago when I went, but the the price of room and board can be more than the price of tuition. Sometimes a significant amount more. Also, forget buying used books, they change too often to get a used book. And you really don't buy an actual book. You pay 100's of dollars for a Xeroxed version of a book that would be hard to use twice if you could pass it along. Then take the professors, they grade on curves, give bonuses and extra credit. It isn't about higher education any more, it is about this believe that it is impossible to get through life without a college education - even if a lot of these kids don't actually get one. I'm not talking about just athletes, this includes students who's parents are paying lots of money to help give their kids an edge and they aren't getting it. Basically just paying for a piece of paper at the end. So I would ask "how is this any different then what these people are doing?" I don't see a difference, except we got off a lot cheaper.

The higher education system in this country if sorely broken. It is a factory generating jobs to support it's employee's without regard to turning out a good product. It seems they have learned a lot from our government.

I agree. I for one, have never gone to college, and I don't feel I have ever needed to as of yet.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:46 pm

Mr. World Globe Trotter securing the safety of us all...I think you are doing fine.

Return to “General Discussion”