So, The Guy That Made The Decision.......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

So, The Guy That Made The Decision.......

Postby Mountainman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:36 pm

........not to follow NCAA recommendations to have an Independent Third Party manage and govern with autonomy the medical aspect of a schools Football Program has changed his mind. Sorry guys, I ran across this and I dumbfoundedly just could not resist. :roll:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-foo ... 0eg6l52yl4
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: So, The Guy That Made The Decision.......

Postby billybud » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:11 pm

How Loh can you go?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:25 am

Mountainman wrote:........not to follow NCAA recommendations to have an Independent Third Party manage and govern with autonomy the medical aspect of a schools Football Program has changed his mind. Sorry guys, I ran across this and I dumbfoundedly just could not resist. :roll:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-foo ... 0eg6l52yl4

After the regents decide to can him, they should also resign themselves. When a kid dies because of policies of a coaching staff, everyone involved should have to answer for their part.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:02 am

There will never be accountability when money is the ultimate goal. Start at either end of the continuum, mass murder of children to deaths on the battlefield or vice versa... no one is held accountable for the death of young people. Why are we surprised football is any different. Bigger, faster, stronger. What the heck. " For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Matthew 6:21

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22454170/highest-paid-state-employees-include-ncaa-coaches-nick-saban-john-calipari-dabo-swinney-bill-self-bob-huggins
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:07 am

Accountability? Money?

Pshhhew...

Whether it be big pharma selling us insulin with a recent 300 % rise in cost, a pill for $600...or the Mercedes driving doctor charging $800 to put a few stitches in, or our health insurance costing $9,000 per year per person...no accountability...it is operation under the black flag with the skull and cross bones.

College football and basketball are billion dollar entertainment empires...I think that the President of Ohio State got too close to the truth when he joked...""I'm just hoping that the coach doesn't dismiss me," when speaking of Tressel.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:41 am

Sometimes you protest because of the raccoons and opossums being your friends and won't disagree with you. You make the valid point that nobody disputes. Doctors and Lawyers are no exception, nor are bankers and super sleuths. With the admission that elected leaders, often clergy, sometimes educators and certainly when I go to the grocery store, the carnivore purveyors are no exception. And college sports aren't either. Nor are college athletes.

I remember an article in the American Journal of Medicine that concluded, "Volvo Drivers are more prone to fuzzy thinking." I'm pretty sure I read that...

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:55 pm

billybud wrote:Accountability? Money?

Pshhhew...

Whether it be big pharma selling us insulin with a recent 300 % rise in cost, a pill for $600...or the Mercedes driving doctor charging $800 to put a few stitches in, or our health insurance costing $9,000 per year per person...no accountability...it is operation under the black flag with the skull and cross bones.

College football and basketball are billion dollar entertainment empires...I think that the President of Ohio State got too close to the truth when he joked...""I'm just hoping that the coach doesn't dismiss me," when speaking of Tressel.

I agree. I have experience with the cost of insulin. The rise isn't so recent, it is just coming to light right now. There are two markets for insulin. One market it from people who a tolerance built up to insulin in their body. The other is from people who's pancreas doesn't produce insulin. The first group isn't in immediate danger from skipping a shot of insulin. While long term health would be effected, they can "cheat" some. Type 1's will die within a couple weeks of not having insulin. It is not an option for them. That is the rub. Insulin costs me $1500 for 3 months supply for my daughter. It was roughly $500 per quarter about 7 years ago The type and brand is exactly the same.

Dealing drugs, legally or illegally is a sellers market. There is nothing wrong with making a profit, but when people's lives are at stake, whether it be at football practice or a life saving hormone, people need to be held to a higher standard. The guy selling cheetos will quit selling them if he gets too greedy and over prices his product. Supply and demand have little to do with the price of insulin going up. The fact that it isn't a choice of people with Type 1 diabetes. That gives the seller an unfair advantage.

As far as this has to do with Maryland; If your practices as a coach directly affect the health and well being of your players, you shouldn't have a job. Everything I've seen about this says this was not something that was an accident. It was negligent behavior.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:36 pm

Now that hey have recombinant dna derived substances,,,it may not cost as much...my boy needed daily injections years ago...at a cost of $36,000 per year...my insurance would not cover...we depleted our savings, then went on a sliding scale payment plan...we were strapped for years getting back to normal....I finally trapped the insurance company after three years when they stubbed their toe...and they covered the rest of the years.

My son's pituitary did not make human growth hormone...at 8, he was 3 standard deviations behind normal size....that means he was well below the 0 on a scale of 0-100 size for the age. He would have been about 4'10 as an adult. The insurance company claimed being "small" was cosmetic...

I wrote them furiously and they finally made a mistake...they actually sent me a letter saying "God meant for your son to be short". I wrote them and said that I was shocked that I was talking meducine and the responded with religeous platitudes. If I wanted a mix of religeon and medicine I would have consulted a shaman...told them that I didn't find a shaman in the yellow pages but maybe they were listed under "chiropractors".

And maybe God meant for diabetics to die, etc., and for people to not thwart his will by providing medicine of any type

They quickly agreed to start covering.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 am

You are a good Father, Mr. Billybud. I absolutely can not nor will I defend the medical system of the United States. I believe we have the best medical doctors in the world, the worst delivery system in the world and an insurance program that is the worst in the universe.

Providers have prostituted themselves to become puppets of Insurance companies. HMO's PPO's are often blamed but no one practicing medicine is exempt. (It is just one facet of our society where tools no longer assist mankind but mankind is now subserviant to the system.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:10 pm

donovan wrote:You are a good Father, Mr. Billybud. I absolutely can not nor will I defend the medical system of the United States. I believe we have the best medical doctors in the world, the worst delivery system in the world and an insurance program that is the worst in the universe.

Providers have prostituted themselves to become puppets of Insurance companies. HMO's PPO's are often blamed but no one practicing medicine is exempt. (It is just one facet of our society where tools no longer assist mankind but mankind is now subserviant to the system.

That is so true. From someone who has spent the last twenty one years fighting insurance companies and dealing with doctors doing their best not to get sued by someone who has a bad outcome regardless of treatment, I find that our medical system has little to do with medicine anymore. We the people keep telling the government to make it worse.

Billybud, I have always believed that God gave us the power to solve our problems. Doctors and medicine would be an example. I think he also gave us the power to make mistakes. We seem to exercise that right every November.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Take look at this...more rapacious actions with a drug...

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... y_20190209

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:14 pm

I think I have a solution. What do you think that should be?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:32 am

Is it really a treatment if it isn't affordable? Bernie Sanders and I rarely are on the same side on most issues, but the only way the price can come down on something like this is for the insurance to quit paying for it.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:37 am

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:39 pm

I certainly agree we are not asking the right questions. Anecdotal evidence is often maligned. I get that but it is most often what inspires research. Not the solution, in my opinion, but when I have talked with people and they explain what they want in paying for medicine, it is this. They want to be able to afford a solution to any problem that might come up, especially when they believe there may be help available. They pay a premium and that should cover everything. They would be all right if that premium was a tax, just make it cover everything. I have listened to hundreds of people on this subject and I would guess 70% have this belief. Many do not like the term socialized medicine, but that is often what they describe.

The article accurately describes many examples, but not sure there is a solution presented.

I will only add this, at this point. We do not have medical insurance in this country. Not by any definition of insurance in terms of a company pooling clients' risks to make payments more affordable for the insured.

Return to “General Discussion”