University of Oregon Being Sued

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

University of Oregon Being Sued

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:34 am

Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: University of Oregon Being Sued

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 am

“Serious lifelong injuries.....” are being valued at $11.5 million.

Cannot help but wonder how the allegations and the value were determined......
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Mountainman wrote:“Serious lifelong injuries.....” are being valued at $11.5 million.

Cannot help but wonder how the allegations and the value were determined......

If that really is why caused his condition, I’m not sure you could give me a number that I would say “yeah, I’ll give up 10 years of my life for that amount of money”. Of course, tell me that at 21 and I may have been more willing to negotiate.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:07 pm

When it all happened it was the strength Coach the Coach Taggart hired and he was hardcore. He was terminated when it all happened. I am not sure the number is fair, but they will settle.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:55 am

donovan wrote:When it all happened it was the strength Coach the Coach Taggart hired and he was hardcore. He was terminated when it all happened. I am not sure the number is fair, but they will settle.

I think it would be worth the 11.5 to let it go away quietly.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:28 am

Well, there is mention in the article that challenges the truth of the claims......... it’ll be interesting to follow and see what choices are made and the outcome.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:42 am

It was not that long ago and I remember well most of the local publicity. I am not sure what the lawsuit says, but there was never any lack of culpability expressed by the school, that I know of. As I say, a lot of money but they will settle for something and I suspect behind closed doors. Mr. Billybud would know how these things play out.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/01/17/oregon-players-hospitalized-after-workouts

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:43 pm

I know of only what I read in these articles about this....... but am hopeful the TRUTH comes out so any issues that led to or caused ‘serious lifelong injuries’ and potentially can cost $11.5 million in damages can be, going forward, identified and corrected in addition to avoiding a preventable muti-million expense, for the good of College Football.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Not a lot like insurance. If you have a death and were in medical school the payout will be significantly more than if you were a laborer. Very unjust, but future earning potential is the factor. All they need to prove or give a thought the kids could have gone to the NFL and there is the potential future earnings.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:02 pm

donovan wrote:Not a lot like insurance. If you have a death and were in medical school the payout will be significantly more than if you were a laborer. Very unjust, but future earning potential is the factor. All they need to prove or give a thought the kids could have gone to the NFL and there is the potential future earnings.

Maybe this guy would have been the next Jeff Bezos, Your Honor.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:29 pm

Another player has filed a 5 million dollar suit. The questionable question is, Why did Coach Taggart hire the man at Flordia State, Irele Oderinde, that was most responsible for all of this after he was fired at Oregon?

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:35 pm

I'm sorry, but maybe because I'm tired of "lawsuits", I don't have a lot of sympathy for cases like this.

You could have stopped the workout at any time....no one was forced to be on the team.

Maybe the guy was cruel, but you can't say you were "forced" to do it. And to me that's the heart of a valid lawsuit. You were there of your own fruition.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:40 pm

Derek wrote:I'm sorry, but maybe because I'm tired of "lawsuits", I don't have a lot of sympathy for cases like this.

You could have stopped the workout at any time....no one was forced to be on the team.

Maybe the guy was cruel, but you can't say you were "forced" to do it. And to me that's the heart of a valid lawsuit. You were there of your own fruition.

I tend to agree.

So here is the question? Do people that join the military assume certain risks that those conscripted do not. Certainly my experience in training there were many exercises designed to eliminate individuals. Sometimes there was permanent damage into and including death.

In the Oregon case, I think the procedure was beyond assumed risk. They could have quit, absolutely. This will be resolved because they could not find a jury of 12 Dereks.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:07 am

I remember when Devaughn Darling died at FSU during an off season work out...

Autopsy showed he had sickle cell trait syndrome which contributed to his death....

Parents sued the school for $2 million.

Then it got crazy...his twin brother Devard, also played on the team and was found to also have sickle cell....the FSU doctors now would not clear him to be member of the team.

"FSU had refused to medically clear Devard to play this fall. An autopsy conducted by the Leon County Medical Examiner's office did not find a conclusive cause for Devaughn Darling's death, but discovered he possessed a sickle-cell trait that has been linked in some studies to sudden-exercise death. Devard Darling, 19, possesses the same sickle-cell trait.

FSU Athletic Director Dave Hart said Devard could've stayed at FSU on scholarship but wouldn't have been allowed to play football.

The parents now were upset that their kid wouldn't be playing....

Long story short...the kid transferred to Washington State...played in the NFL.

Parents received $1.8 million settlement.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:03 pm

Penguins are black and white. Old tevelision shows are black and white. Therefore, some Penguins are old TV shows. :?

Return to “General Discussion”