Let’s See How Michigan Does......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Let’s See How Michigan Does......

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:05 pm

Gators score on a 50+ yard run....... Game Over.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:47 pm

Wow. Michigan was smashed by a pretty mediocre Florida team. I thought Michigan was going to dominate this game.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:58 pm

Game really was not close...

The Gator D made it tough.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:04 pm

Michigan gave up on this game in Ann Arbor. It isn’t a good situation there now.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:41 pm

This was a game that was easy to quit watching, and I did.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 am

So, in he last two games Michigan has lost to th combined tune of something like 103-50. Am I close? Offense is so dang vanilla. I am about tired of this crap. Don't say it is an exhibition game. Only the losing teams say that. If it is some meaningless exhibition, don't play in it. I thought the Michigan defense would really keep the Gators in check. I was wrong on so many levels. Michigan didn't give up over 21 points in any one game the entire season until the last two games. You gotta finish it out!!!!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:55 am

They went into this game without 1/2 of their defensive line. Doesn’t mean it would have made a difference, but it does mean they players don’t view these games as important. On the other hand, I don’t mind seeing the skunk bears lose.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:29 am

Even Colorado State and Idaho put ten points each on the board against the Gators during the season. I know, I know it's a bowl game, it doesn't matter, blah, blah, blah. You can't compare and all that crap. But when Idaho and Colorado State put up five points less than Michigan, a team that was one game away from the B1G champs game and maybe a CFP chance, something is wrong. Very wrong.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:56 am

Spence wrote:Michigan gave up on this game in Ann Arbor. It isn’t a good situation there now.

Oh....... what’s going on up in Ann Arbor???
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:29 am

Harbaugh’s offense is dated and he doesn’t seem to be able to accept it. Not much pride for the team in AA right now. When four players on the defense( the strength of the team) decide to sit for the bowl game, what does that say about the pride for your team. These are guys who signed with Michigan. It probably doesn’t hurt that Urban Meyer talked with Mullen about game planning for them also, but the big thing is that Haurbaugh’s players aren’t buying into him and that is a bad sign.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/nick-bosa-ohio-state-buckeyes This is the difference between AA and Columbus right now.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:03 am

Spence wrote:Harbaugh’s offense is dated and he doesn’t seem to be able to accept it. Not much pride for the team in AA right now. When four players on the defense( the strength of the team) decide to sit for the bowl game, what does that say about the pride for your team. These are guys who signed with Michigan. It probably doesn’t hurt that Urban Meyer talked with Mullen about game planning for them also, but the big thing is that Haurbaugh’s players aren’t buying into him and that is a bad sign.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/nick-bosa-ohio-state-buckeyes This is the difference between AA and Columbus right now.

As the Powers That Be at Michigan continue to swing and miss in their methods and means of Head Football Coach selection........ as Ziggy once said, “We have met the enemy, and he is us.”. 8)

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:01 pm

Just to keep the record straight. And "Walt Kelly’s phrase, “We have met the enemy and he is us” derives from braggadocio during the War of 1812 in which Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry reported, “We have met the enemy and they are ours” to William Henry Harrison after the Battle of Lake Erie. That phrase stands with John Paul Jones’s “I have not yet begun to fight,” and Julius Caesar’s “Veni, Vidi, Vici” (I came, I saw, I conquered) as one of the most famous battle reports in history."
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:49 am

Michigan is in a very weird situation right now. They're winning games a respectable rate, nobody can take that away from them. If the team truly didn't care and was giving up on the coaching staff, why would they show up for these games? It's not like they are in another league versus teams like Michigan State and Wisconsin, so the fact that they dominate them shows that many of the players do care.

I've pontificated numerous times over the last 4 years as to what I think is wrong with the program. They are psychologically soft and they retreat into a shell at the first sign of adversity. Ohio State is the gorilla they can't get off their back. I think they respect some of the results that the coaching staff has provided, but at the same time they are frustrated at doing the same thing over again and failing. Harbaugh is the only person on the planet who thinks this sinking ship is fine. Apparently he doesn't want to change any staff. Watch what happens at USC and Florida State this year and tell me again how offense doesn't do anything to win you games and how you're better off running 35% of your plays out of the I-Formation.

Another thing I can't wrap my head around is why Michigan is still doing great in recruiting. Makes no sense. Ask Peoples-Jones, Black, and Collins about whether or not they are having fun playing in this offense. If I were a skill player with NFL aspirations, Michigan is about the last place I would consider. I'd rather play for Sonny Dykes at SMU or something. That would be fun.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:54 am

I mean it really is reaching a breaking point. Anybody with two eyes can tell you that the offense is dysfunctional. We hand the ball up the middle on 1st and 10 85% of the time. Who does that. Oh wow, 2nd & 8, SO MUCH BETTER THAN 2nd & 10!!!! Of course if you (and about 10 million others) brought this up to Harbaugh, he would shrug you off as an uninformed idiot, after all he's the guy getting paid $7 million to make decisions and you're not.

At least Lloyd Carr had the good sense to use stretch plays as his go-to run play. This is absolutely pathetic. Maybe there's a reason the ENTIRE COLLEGE FOOTBALL UNIVERSE outside of Stanford and LSU are going to spread offense. Spread offense doesn't imply having to recruit 5'7 WRs and thin offensive lineman and 180 pound running backs and QBs like Denard Robinson. That's one version of it, but no big time college program thinks that's a good strategy. The fact that this coaching staff has no imagination is appalling. Watch any given game in the NFL and even the NFL game has passed Harbaugh by! Harbaugh thinks his man ball is preparing these players for life in the NFL when instead you are seeing much more creative play calling from Chicago, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, and the LA Rams.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:58 am

Here's a prediction, USC goes from 5-7 to 9-3 and Pac-12 South Champions with the hiring of Kliff Kingsbury. Possible Pac-12 champions.

Florida Sate goes from 5-7 to 8-4 with the hiring of Kendall Briles. Doesn't sound like a huge improvement but the product on the field will be 10x better and they will be more competitive against the better teams on the schedule. Then the sky is the limit in 2020. Briles probably can't fix the offensive line overnight. FSU is still a work in progress, but if they didn't change anything, they'd be 5-7 again or 6-6 with no hope for the future.

Taggart and Helton are lucky because they are average coaches who are about to get their reputations bailed out by elite coordinators. Harbaugh is an above average coach with terrible coordinators. Watching Brent Venables put on a clinic against Notre Dame is what it's like to have a real defensive coordinator, not Don Brown who is a one-trick pony who gets flat out obliterated against great offenses.

Return to “General Discussion”