Urban Meyer To Retire........

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Urban Meyer To Retire........

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:45 am

........ after Rose Bowl.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Urban Meyer To Retire........

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Yep, Tim May reported it last night. Ryan Day will take his place. They biggest thing this will affect in the short term is recruiting for this cycle. Longer term for next season is how many coaches will jump. Schino is likely going to go. That hurts, but as long as Johnson stays the D should be ok.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:30 pm

College Football loses one hell of a good coach....... and College Football needs all the good coaches it can get.

I’m becoming even more concerned about what the future holds for College Football after the happenings these last few days. First I watch as the CFP Committee sells out on their narrative of providing the ‘Four Best Teams’, and now IMHO, one of the games fines coaches succumbed to a false narrative set by some in the media.

I’m thinking it’s time for the Eunuchs to step and get this thing under control. :|
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:40 pm

I don't think that Urban Myer is well...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:04 pm

billybud wrote:I don't think that Urban Myer is well...

Good to see you back, hope things are going well for you and yours.

Maybe...... although their are those in the media, such as a couple at ESPN and CBS Sports, that didn’t appear to take that into consideration in their narrative during the ‘Zack Smith’ fiasco.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:16 pm

thanks...doing pretty good...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:18 pm

Mountainman wrote:College Football loses one hell of a good coach....... and College Football needs all the good coaches it can get. :|

Loses two great Coaches --- Bill Snyder retired

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:35 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:College Football loses one hell of a good coach....... and College Football needs all the good coaches it can get. :|

Loses two great Coaches --- Bill Snyder retired

Yep, great coach and an even better man.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:03 pm

There are rumblings that this has been in the works for a while - at least two years. That is why Ryan Day turned down the head job he was offered last year. They are working on a position for Meyer. Kind of a coaches mentor type position. I’m not sure if I’m Ryan Day I really want Urban Meyer hanging around my program. I think it makes it tough for the program to ever really be his. It appears that the key coaches. S&C coach Mickey Marotti is staying. That is Urban Meyers right hand man. The recruiting director, the director of football operations. Not sure about Schino but my guess is he will leave. I also doubt Kevin Wilson stays, but maybe. Day needs to hire an offensive line coach. A secondary coach and a linebackers coach. I’m not sure what this will do for this year’s recruiting class, but it was good of him and the school to do it know so the kids have a chance to look somewhere else if they want. Sucks for the school though, IMO.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:02 am

Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me...... I mean if the the rumblings are true that it’s been in the works for a while. Appears maybe Urban Meyer may be Gene Smith’s Jalen Hurts in case Ryan Day gets dinged-up.

Heck who knows the why’s behind the what’s........ :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:43 am

Not sure. They are saying. That he physically can’t coach again. The cyst he has tends to rupture with stress and leaks in his brain and causes headaches. It really sounds like he is going to work inside the athletic department delveloping coaches. I’m not sure about the roll it is all very strange.
The big question around here from media is “do you think he will coach again”. As far as Buckeye fans are concerned I don’t think it matters. If the medical condition is an out, then he obviously wants out. If it really is a health thing, he still won’t be the coach. So as far as Buckeye fans I think they will wish him well and turn the page. Mostly when a coach is done at Ohio State they are used up. If he does coach again he will be the only Buckeye coach to coach again after leaving Ohio State. He is pretty young though. No mater how much money you have it is hard to believe he could give it up that young.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 am

I think Mr. Billybud is absolutely correct, Coach Meyer is not well. There are so many variations of Arachnoid cysts that it would be pure speculation on this specific case. It would be hard to believe there is not some type of treatment plan ahead. It is a lot less invasive than in the past. I think his future will be consulting and not with any day to day responsibilities, regardless of where.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:31 am

The thing people are forgetting is that Meyer is 54. He could leave the game almost totally for around a decade and then come back. I don't see him sitting out for a year or two and getting back in the game. He seems like he has some real health problems. Effects might fade away or diminish over time, or maybe better treatment develops 5 or 6 years down the line.

I sort of wish Michigan could get a better opportunity to knock down that perfect record, but honestly I'm not really willing to find out how long it would have taken :lol: . If I had money on it I'd say 11 or 12 tries.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Return to “General Discussion”