Ohio State -TTUN

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Ohio State -TTUN

Postby Mountainman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:34 pm

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:Well, the committee might bring up the Purdue loss, and the 51 points given up to Maryland. And I see that. An Oklahoma loss would likely spur some conversation. I think a Sooners win will put them in.

After last night and today, keeping in mind Ohio State and Oklahoma have another game to play, if this SOS and SOR the Committee constantly points to is real and means anything the Top 4 just have to include Oklahoma and Ohio State....... and if both win their Conference Title Game and if this 13th Data Point is real and means anything then it’s Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State playing for the National Title.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:52 pm

I think Notre Dame has earned their way in. They play way better defense than Oklahoma.

In terms of matchups against Alabama as #1 vs. #4, if the goal is seeing Alabama get beat, I'd rather see Oklahoma get the nod.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:17 pm

--

If Notre Dame beats USC tonight, then what value does a 13th data do for a team who has 12 wins with 1 loss, versus a team with 12 wins and zero losses?

If a 13th data point matters, then losses should be a -1 point. If Oklahoma beats Texas, then you could argue that they have a -o.5 point, seeing as the Sooners could win vs the one team that defeated them in the regular season.

Ohio State, on the other hand, still has a loss to an unranked team. And they will be playing a 7-4 Northwestern [likely 8-4 after tonight] team who is presently struggling to put away Illinois.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Eric wrote:I think Notre Dame has earned their way in. They play way better defense than Oklahoma.

In terms of matchups against Alabama as #1 vs. #4, if the goal is seeing Alabama get beat, I'd rather see Oklahoma get the nod.

With a win tonight Notre Dame has earned ‘consideration’, but, the metrics just aren’t there. It’s not there fault their schedule was weak this season, and any claim of BIG WINS, such as Syracuse or Michigan just don’t hold water, they’re good teams, but that’s all they are........ and remember I’m using Committee Metrics.

........not the reason I suggest Oklahoma at the 3 spot, the Sooners lost 1 game by 3 points and have a chance at redemption, if they beat Texas, they earned it, while the Buckeyes had a bad loss and a close call to a couple not so good teams.
Last edited by Mountainman on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:--

If Notre Dame beats USC tonight, then what value does a 13th data do for a team who has 12 wins with 1 loss, versus a team with 12 wins and zero losses?

If a 13th data point matters, then losses should be a -1 point. If Oklahoma beats Texas, then you could argue that they have a -o.5 point, seeing as the Sooners could win vs the one team that defeated them in the regular season.

Ohio State, on the other hand, still has a loss to an unranked team. And they will be playing a 7-4 Northwestern [likely 8-4 after tonight] team who is presently struggling to put away Illinois.

I have no idea...... but the Committee has given value to that metric in past considerations, in fact they stated it was a “deciding factor”.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Eric wrote:Congrats Spence :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't want to say I told you so, but..... :oops:

This team is a mentally soft joke. Harbaugh has the pieces but he's running the offense with Pep freaking Hamilton. And our vaunted #1 defense, as I've always known, is no mas for Ohio State schematically. And our genius coaching staff prepares for this mismatch as if it's business as usual.

Thanks, Eric. To say I didn’t see it coming was an understatement. I went to the game as an after thought. I’m still in CBus for the weeekend celebration get the best win of the last 18 years. Most because none of us expected it. I don’t want to rub it in because for you this must be worse than the Cooper years for me. I honestly think you have the right coach. He is someone we love to hate for sure. The problem I saw today with your defense is that you don’t have enough speed on the edges on defense. You can’t play cover two without making the qb uncomfortable. Ohio State exploited the Michigan zone all day. On defense we covered the screens and for some unknown reason our linebackers played football. They were for the most part gap sound.
I don’t want it to sound like I’m sorry the Bucks won - I’m not. Plenty of Blue fans today before the game were rubbing it in and after the game I gave as good as they gave me before it. But you are my friend and I was around for the Cooper years so I know a little of what you are feeling. Harbaugh is close. He is a couple DT’s and a couple Db’s away from being great on defense. Offensively he is like the Buckeyes. He needs an offensive line who can impose their will on people. Michican’s nor Ohio State’s can at this point.
I’ve never been a Meyer fan, as you all know, and his future seems to be limited at Ohio State. Harbaugh is the right guy for blue. When we finally get our guy in place - whether it be Meyer or Ryan Day- I look forward to some battles of Bo and Woody proportions. Until then I hope you spend more time here with us because the board is lacking without your perspective.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:10 pm

donovan wrote:Yippee...In my heart, I knew you could not stay away. You may just be the straw.

I'm not changing my pick.

At the end of the day I couldn’t not go. I think you know as well as anyone why. I honestly wouldn’t have picked Ohio State if I used my head over my heart.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks for the words, but that's exactly what we're tired of hearing. One year, it's "Harbaugh needs his guys." Next year with a great defense loaded with NFL prospects, it's "Harbaugh just needs a QB." Last year it was, "Harbaugh's team had injuries and they're young." This year, it's.....Well, nobody exactly knows what happened. We got zero pressure on Haskins today. I agree our secondary doesn't have any studs, but they aren't terrible. Honestly though, I'm not impressed with Metellus and Kinnel, thought those would be our weak links in this game. Watson had no business being on the same field as Ohio State's athletes at WR.

What I said last year still holds true: Ohio State is going to have to lose this game before it becomes a rivalry again. Michigan is incapable of winning it straight up. The Buckeyes have to royally screw one of these games up before Michigan builds the kind of confidence necessary to meet them on an even playing field. If 2016 went the other way or Hoke's team converts the 2-point conversion, imagine the difference in tone this series would have taken. But it just didn't fall Michigan's way, and he we are. We have players choking because teams they had nothing to do with choked before them and it weighs on them psychologically. And it doesn't help that OSU has better athletes already.

And none of that absolves the coaching staff, which I still say is getting sub-optimal results from this team based on how they run this program.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:46 pm

When Michigan screws up, Harbaugh fundamentally blames the players. Watching his reaction to his players' screw-ups, his body language tells me that he feels he needs to coach them harder to be perfect. Any smart college coach has the probability of failure factored into the way they call games. You can't be perfect and you need to exploit bad defensive breakdowns in order to get ahead in college at the highest level. If you can't do that, you're wasting your time. I've complained about it before, but you can't play for 3rd and 5 100% of the time. Ohio State doesn't think about first downs, they think about how they can pick up 30 yards on a given play. Harbaugh doesn't want to adjust. Then Don Brown continues to leave his DBs on islands, and Ohio State has more passing yards than Michigan's total yards allowed per game at the half.

If Kliff Kingsbury is on the market, you have no reason continuing to employ Pep Hamilton. Harbaugh needs to turn over control of the offense to somebody who knows how to get the ball to wide receivers, and if Harbaugh wants, they don't have to go up-tempo and forgo TEs and FBs; all Kliff would have to do is know WHEN to call the RIGHT play and use a screen or some misdirection that actually works.

WR is actually one of the strengths of this team, but they can't get separation in this offense due to the playcalling. They have physical ability but they lack that "wow" factor where they can go up and get the ball and make an amazing catch. They need to be coached better because they have potential. QBs are timid and not comfortable throwing deep passes. It's been that way since Jake Rudock was here. Rudock got better as the year progressed, but Speight, then Peters, and now Patterson can't hit a fly route down the sidelines to save their lives. I watch Haskins and Tua do it multiple times per game and we're just hopeless.

Honestly the only way out of this is if Dylan McCaffery turns out to be the second coming of Andrew Luck. Otherwise, this team will never click until we get a stud NFL prospect at QB for 3 years. Instead Harbaugh is misfiring in recruiting and banking on these transfers that got ran out of their schools for very obvious reasons.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 pm

Zach Gentry (redshirt senior) was another guy that came up huge today. Another fake NFL prospect. He was converted from QB and he's the guy we rely on to make do-or-die catches in a game of this magnitude. Meanwhile Ohio State has true freshmen who have barely played that make catches and run up and down the field and block punts to ice games. Look at Rashan Gary, total non-factor today. I feel sorry for any team that drafts him expecting a difference maker at the next level, he's been overrated his entire career at Michigan.

I'm just looking at the depth chart and my reaction: LOL. None of these players on offense will get it done, none of them are truly special. We have three decent WRs and a bunch of unproven RBs who, if they don't show themselves to be better and more explosive than Karan Higdon, we will be average again offensively. Weak offensive line is mostly returning. Tight end is a total zero.

Give me 9-3 with a loss to Ohio State. Tate Martell will light up the college football world next year. Michigan will be helpless. As mediocre as the B1G was this year, I figure they should improve. Thinking of Wisconsin and Penn State in particular.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:07 pm

I mean I don't like it, but I'm prepared for this result every year and it's borderline comical at this rate :lol:

I also get the impression that Urban doesn't view this as a big rivalry. I think outwardly he pays the series respect and tries very hard to get his team ready and motivated to play because ultimately his job and his legacy depend on it. But, it's fundamentally an easy task for him so he can't take the threat that seriously. Michigan makes it very easy for him because of their predictable style. They're not a serious opponent for him.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:48 pm

--

Okay, Eric ... we know what you think about Michigan. But, what on earth happened to Central Michigan this year?

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:--

Okay, Eric ... we know what you think about Michigan. But, what on earth happened to Central Michigan this year?

Injuries :lol:

I wasn't a big John Bonamego guy when he was hired, but his first three years were productive. Maybe Michigan will hire him as a special teams coordinator because God knows Michigan has had issues with that over the years.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm just throwing this name out here and remember where you heard it: Scott Abell.

He's the head coach at Davidson. Took a bad team and went 6-5 with them. Comes out of D3 with a consistently good winning record. Davidson averaged 414 yards rushing per game this season. Sounds like something Central Michigan should try out, or if not CMU then Texas State or Charlotte who also have openings. I'd also look at Kennesaw State's head coach.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:00 pm

But NOOOOOOOOO, that will never happen. Don't listen to Eric's recommendations on coaching which have about an 80% success rate :lol:

I can't predict football games but I have a nose for which coaches will be good and which will be duds. For example, what is Dana Dimel doing at UTEP? Why did ECU fire Ruffin McNeil and replace him with Scottie Montgomery? These are the questions one has to ask.

Return to “General Discussion”