Back From the Game......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Back From the Game......

Postby Mountainman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:41 pm

Defense = played well. 3ints & a fumble recovery. :D

Special Teams = played pretty well. Couple of missed FG’s and couple of made +40 yarders, KO’s good coverage and distance, but had a couple that weren’t very good at all. Might have changed kickers on those though due to #1 nursing an injury. Punting..... ???? 8)

Offense = lots of points, but to win this conference just absolutely going to have to run the ball better. 172 rushing, I think, and 79 came one one play..... and that just ain’t gonna get it done. Take away the big run and rush average was 2.5 yards-per-attempt. :roll:

We’ll see weekend after this down in Austin, Texas...... where the Longhorns await. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Back From the Game......

Postby billybud » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:37 am

WVU looking pretty good this year...good QB, outstanding receiver...

Improved defense from last year.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:50 pm

billybud wrote:WVU looking pretty good this year...good QB, outstanding receiver...

Yes they are, pretty good in all three phases, although they do have some dirty laundry. Punting, sometimes, a head scratcher. Snap looks good, protection is there, catch looks, but he’ll punt it 25-30 yards. Defensively the LB spot is very thin, although David Long is an absolute pleasure to watch play. You’re right on target with Greer and the receivers, but right now I’d have say the offense is pretty much one dimensional...... and if the Mountaineers are to win the Big XII Title they gotta have a legitimate and productive running game inside the tackles to compliment the passing game.

......and the defense was just dreadful last season to the point it was hard to watch.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:02 pm

I just watched the game. I think you are in a good corner, Mountainman.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:54 pm

donovan wrote:I just watched the game. I think you are in a good corner, Mountainman.

How’d you like those uniforms the Mountaineers were sporting??? Ahhhh, the Good Ole Days, Did you happen to watch the 4th quarter when Greer left the game and Jack Allison replaced him. That’s the heir-apparent for next years team, the guy can sling it.

We’ll see if this team can take a punch next weekend down in Austin. :wink:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:08 pm

---
donovan wrote:I just watched the game. I think you are in a good corner, Mountainman.

Certainly better than what the `Canes are in, that's for sure.

Our offense is atrocious. We cannot block on the line, and the play calling is bland & predictable. Putting Rosier in the game is perplexing. He doesn't throw the ball well.

I have heard it through the grapevine that the administration has become proactive, and is looking to hire in an offensive coordinator. It is also being rumored that Richt is not getting a say in the decision, and is being told he is not to interfere with the play calling. He is to be in a position to mitigate.

I do not know what to think about this. It undermines the coaches legitimacy. At the same time, Richt is being out coached every game.

Whatever the end result, we wont know much `til later. The OC change will take place after the season. I only know of two names that are being throw around as potential candidates.

And the talk is to invade a Big XII to tempt away one of their play callers.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:01 am

Mountainman wrote:
billybud wrote:WVU looking pretty good this year...good QB, outstanding receiver...

Yes they are, pretty good in all three phases, although they do have some dirty laundry. Punting, sometimes, a head scratcher. Snap looks good, protection is there, catch looks, but he’ll punt it 25-30 yards. Defensively the LB spot is very thin, although David Long is an absolute pleasure to watch play. You’re right on target with Greer and the receivers, but right now I’d have say the offense is pretty much one dimensional...... and if the Mountaineers are to win the Big XII Title they gotta have a legitimate and productive running game inside the tackles to compliment the passing game.

......and the defense was just dreadful last season to the point it was hard to watch.

I have commented on the WVU defense or lack of in the past few years. They are much better this year. I don't care what the conference you have to be able to run the ball to win, especially against good teams. Defense, I have always believed is the key to great team. Defense make good teams better. You can win with a great defense and a run of the mill offense. You won't win with a great offense and mediocre defense. At some point teams need the D and if they don't have it they will lose.

On a side note, my niece has had a really good four years at WVU. She has become a full fledged Mountaineer to the point that she can talk football now and make sense. Except that she has lost all her Buckeyeness. I hope to convert her back one day, but it isn't looking good at the moment. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:34 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:---

Our offense is atrocious. We cannot block on the line, and the play calling is bland & predictable. Putting Rosier in the game is perplexing. He doesn't throw the ball well.

I have heard it through the grapevine that the administration has become proactive, and is looking to hire in an offensive coordinator. It is also being rumored that Richt is not getting a say in the decision, and is being told he is not to interfere with the play calling. He is to be in a position to mitigate.

I do not know what to think about this. It undermines the coaches legitimacy. At the same time, Richt is being out coached every game.

Whatever the end result, we wont know much `til later. The OC change will take place after the season. I only know of two names that are being throw around as potential candidates.

.......just from the snapshot I saw last night during the BC game compared to what I recall from the past teams, the Canes continue to have very athletic players with quickness and speed. But the great offensive and defensive linemen of past teams wasn’t showing last night.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:45 am

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

I have commented on the WVU defense or lack of in the past few years. They are much better this year. I don't care what the conference you have to be able to run the ball to win, especially against good teams. Defense, I have always believed is the key to great team. Defense make good teams better. You can win with a great defense and a run of the mill offense. You won't win with a great offense and mediocre defense. At some point teams need the D and if they don't have it they will lose.

On a side note, my niece has had a really good four years at WVU. She has become a full fledged Mountaineer to the point that she can talk football now and make sense. Except that she has lost all her Buckeyeness. I hope to convert her back one day, but it isn't looking good at the moment. :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Spence...... all that time for the past few years, I thought it must have been just a distant echo of my own words I was hearing. :wink:

.......and put your concerns aside about your niece, sure, she’s wearing a Coonskin Cap, but you can bet she’s still got a Buckeye stashed somewhere in those buckskins or in that Possibles Pouch. :D

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:16 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:---

.......just from the snapshot I saw last night during the BC game compared to what I recall from the past teams, the Canes continue to have very athletic players with quickness and speed. But the great offensive and defensive linemen of past teams wasn’t showing last night.

The defensive line play was solid.

But, when your quarterback throws 2 interceptions inside your own 15, you are putting the defense in a trouble spot, leaving them on the field for too long. That's when fatigue beats you.

In the game against Virginia, Richt pulled N'Kosi Perry from the game after throwing 2 interceptions. When Malik Rosier pinned the defense's back against the wall with 2 interceptions that gave Boston College the ball in the Red Zone to start their drives, he didn't make the switch.

One of the biggest knocks on Richt coming from `Canes fans this year, is that he is playing favoritism at skill positions, and not playing the guys who give the team the best chance to win.

Well, that, and his offensive schemes are way too predictable. They take too long at the line before the snap, which has resulted in a ridiculous number of false starts. And when they do snap it, 50% of the plays are behind the line screen passes that take too long to develop, and the defense is on the ball carrier before he has the opportunity to get moving forward.

I could go on ... but you get my point.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Back From the Game......ex

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:31 am

A few too many Maker's Mark. But WVU still gotta play Texas, Oklahoma, and Cowpokes. I am pulling for the Mountaineers, but a few things have to get a little better. Texas will be upset after sleds, Oklahoma will wanna prove that they belong in the CFP, and the Cowboys will wanna fit in somewhere. The BIG XII is as wide open as the ACC division that doesn't possess Clemson.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:52 pm

On the other side of the coin all those teams have holes too which makes them beatable. There is going to be an interesting ending to the season in that conference.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Back From the Game......ex

Postby Mountainman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:08 pm

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:A few too many Maker's Mark. But WVU still gotta play Texas, Oklahoma, and Cowpokes. I am pulling for the Mountaineers, but a few things have to get a little better. Texas will be upset after sleds, Oklahoma will wanna prove that they belong in the CFP, and the Cowboys will wanna fit in somewhere. The BIG XII is as wide open as the ACC division that doesn't possess Clemson.

It’s going to be fun down the stretch...... Fans will be treated to the entire range of emotions that competitive sports has to offer, the Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat, just as Jim McKay would say. 8)

.........and be mindful, this is the Mountaineers seventh year in the BIG XII. It's taken A total makeover of the team to get to this point of competing for a Conference Title, so this is a real measuring stick of how that makeover has progressed.

Return to “General Discussion”