Doltish Thought on Week 8

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Doltish Thought on Week 8

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:10 am

Doltish Thoughts Week 8

1. Boise’s dog retrieving the tee is the only consistent part of the Broncos-Most irrelevant win this week.
2. Spence is correct about Brett Rypien.
3. Spence is not vindicated by his naysaying. Spence is vindicated by his naysaying. Still thinking.
4. LSU may be the only game irrelevant Alabama will play this year.
5. Nope is the answer to #2.
6. The Gameday show in Pullman was the best TV of the day.
7. Washington State’s win warms the cockroaches of my heart. Best quote of the day was from Leach. “they (Washington State Players) kept believing in me, even though I was messing up…”
8. Probably good Cincinnati got euthanized early before they really believed they had a chance.
9. If I cared, which I don’t, Michigan State would make me like Michigan. Then again, Harbaugh makes me not care.
10. I am so ticked at Hawaii. They are America’s laziest team.
11. Why am I apathetic about Clemson?
12. Derek took a week off for continual mourning.
13. One of the great tragedies, this will wake up Mr. Billybud, or more likely putting in snooze mode as he is saying,” This again, doesn’t this guy ever get tired of beating this dead equine?” Where was I, oh yes, Ohio State gets tromped and the margin of victory becomes an issue. So the SOSS, (you figure out what the third S stand for) plummets and a Win is no a Win nor a Loss a Loss. Back in the Golden Years, not to be confused with today's Golden Years which are more like Pyrite, a win was a win. Conference winners with the most wins were Champions. Just what was wrong with that?
14. Cane, or Grand Exalted Bookie, has been great in putting many West Coast teams on the pick list. Now there is a point to this adoration. Conferences with parity provide the hardest picks, most entertaining and difficult choices. On the other hand, it allows the Committee to tell them to ‘go to grass.’
15. Utah may be the PAC 12 Dragon Slayer.
16. Tough week on Mountainman. No fighter on the card.
17. And lastly, Mrs. Donovan said to me. “Make up your mind, you flip from one channel to another watching football games, trying to keep up with a 45-year-old Black and White Perry Mason story, and now you have added baseball. Go be a gigolo on another TV.” I say, “But I want to be by you.” She says, Let see if you can work in some canoodling.” Not sure who won the game or who committed the murder.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Doltish Thought on Week 8

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:47 pm

I still think I'm right about Rypien, and I know I'm right about Ohio State. This is the worst Ohio State team I have seen in 18 years. Especially on defense. The offensive line aren't especially great either. Both Michigan State and Michigan made asses of themselves yesterday.

Rypien may not have the Dan Marino's arm, but neither does Tom Brady or Joe Montana. Most would rather have their careers than Marino's.

I'm glad the kid on hospice at Purdue got to see them win. LSU is a good team. I don't think they beat Alabama. That doesn't make me happy, but I think it is correct.

When the Mrs. say yes you had better turn that TV off or today would be a worse day.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:28 pm

.......that makes two weekends in a row I haven’t had a ‘fighter’ on the card. :roll:

After you ‘scored’ last night, did you consider going for two? :D

........meanwhile back at the Old Folks Home, there were two elderly ladies sitting in rocking chairs on the porch watching shirtless young men doing groundskeeping work. One lady turned to the other and asked, “Do you still get horny?”. The other lady replied, “Yes, I do.”. The lady then asked, “What do you do about it.” The other lady replied, “Oh, I usually just suck on a lifesaver.” The lady pondered a moment and then asked, “How do you get to the beach?” :wink:

P.S. The butler did it.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:09 pm

So, I thought to myself, why isn't gameday going to be at Clemson? Two undefeated teams. Well, good thing they didn't head that way. I missed a little football as I was attending the wooden boat show in Georgetown SC. I caught the Ducks play. Well, if that's what you want to call it. Did Haskins throw the ball like 70+ times for the Buckeyes? The Maryland loss might make Texas look a little worse. Well, maybe not. LSU might give Bama a fight for a quarter. I wonder if Orgerron has the coaching wits to come close to Saban's. How many times has Tua been sacked this season? Will Les Miles be coaching next season? Oh yeah, and Nebraska won a game.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:20 pm

Haskins threw 72 times for, I believe 468 yards. You can almost guarantee a loss if your QB throws for that many yards. The record he broke came from the 1981 loss to Florida State.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:57 am

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:So, I thought to myself, why isn't gameday going to be at Clemson? Two undefeated teams. Well, good thing they didn't head that way. I missed a little football as I was attending the wooden boat show in Georgetown SC. I caught the Ducks play. Well, if that's what you want to call it. Did Haskins throw the ball like 70+ times for the Buckeyes? The Maryland loss might make Texas look a little worse. Well, maybe not. LSU might give Bama a fight for a quarter. I wonder if Orgerron has the coaching wits to come close to Saban's. How many times has Tua been sacked this season? Will Les Miles be coaching next season? Oh yeah, and Nebraska won a game.

Someone said this past weekend that ‘Alabama has scored more points in the 1st quarter of their games this season, than 25 teams have scored in their games this season’. I didn’t verify those numbers, but hell, that’s an eyebrow raiser...... LSU can play defense, but their offense is not so hot, so ‘coaching wits’ may not come into play as much as the Tigers’ defense AND Special Teams play will.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Mountainman wrote:
collegefbfan-8898 wrote:So, I thought to myself, why isn't gameday going to be at Clemson? Two undefeated teams. Well, good thing they didn't head that way. I missed a little football as I was attending the wooden boat show in Georgetown SC. I caught the Ducks play. Well, if that's what you want to call it. Did Haskins throw the ball like 70+ times for the Buckeyes? The Maryland loss might make Texas look a little worse. Well, maybe not. LSU might give Bama a fight for a quarter. I wonder if Orgerron has the coaching wits to come close to Saban's. How many times has Tua been sacked this season? Will Les Miles be coaching next season? Oh yeah, and Nebraska won a game.

Someone said this past weekend that ‘Alabama has scored more points in the 1st quarter of their games this season, than 25 teams have scored in their games this season’. I didn’t verify those numbers, but hell, that’s an eyebrow raiser...... LSU can play defense, but their offense is not so hot, so ‘coaching wits’ may not come into play as much as the Tigers’ defense AND Special Teams play will.

LSU's defense are second to none, but they are just average on offense. A couple weeks ago I told this to a guy I know from Alabama that I thought his team was 10 points better than anyone else in the country. A very different conversation than we have had in past years. Alabama has sometimes not deserved their position or accolades, this year that isn't the case. They are very, very good. I could see a few teams being able to beat them in a one game situation, but Alabama would have to have an off game and someone elso would have to play better than they are. Ohio State has absolutely no chance to beat them, so losing is probably a good thing as far as Ohio State is concerned. You get less bad press than if they throttled you in the playoff and they would.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:58 pm

Fingers crossed for LSU taking down Bama. 8)

And the mourning is done, it didn't last long. I'm just hoping they learned from the loss and actually show up in Jax, instead of sending another team in their place.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 am

Georgia will win that game.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:19 am

Georgia by 21. It's in the book.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:57 am

I recall when the Georgia vs Florida game was known as “The World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party”......... but someone complained about it.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:21 am

/
Mountainman wrote:I recall when the Georgia vs Florida game was known as “The World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party”......... but someone complained about it.

There are some purists out there still calling it that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufv057nQIaY

And yes, this is really Lou & Mark analyzing the Georgia/Florida game from yesterday.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:07 pm

Lou Holtz is just hilarious sometimes.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Derek wrote:Lou Holtz is just hilarious sometimes.

‘Coming off a loss with your mom and dad in the stands and your girlfriend won’t speak to you......’. ha,ha,ha, Classic Lou Holtz, just gotta love that guy.

.......btw, if you’ve never watched his video, “Do Right”, I highly recommend it, and suggest watching it with a teenager. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:04 pm

Mountainman wrote:I recall when the Georgia vs Florida game was known as “The World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party”......... but someone complained about it.

Somebody is always trying to stop a good party.

Return to “General Discussion”