2018 Predictions Week Three -- WeekTwo Winner(s)

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2018 Predictions Week Three -- WeekTwo Winner(s)

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Mountainman wrote:HEADS-UP...... there’s a meeting tomorrow with the Athletic Directors from West Virginia and NC State to discuss alternatives in the event Hurricane Florence is predicted to impact the Mountaineer vs Wolfpack game in Raleigh as Is currently the case.

Appears, through the grapevine, everything is on the table from cancellation, rescheduling, to moving the game to Morgantown......... I’ll keep you posted.

HEADS-UP-UPDATE...... still no Official Word about whether the game will be played.

Grapevine is saying it’s doubtful the game will be played as alternatives are either not workable or doable or both. However, It is official that N.C. State has cancelled classes from Wednesday through Sunday while weather forecasters continue to project the storm to make landfall on the North Carolina Coastline (ranging from Charleston SC to Virginia Beach VA) and then travel inland toward Raleigh.

Interesting side-note, I heard today that since hurricanes have been officially tracked, beginning in the late 1800’s, there have been 50+ hurricanes on Florance’s current path, and NONE made landfall on the coastline of the United States...... if this one does hit, Good Luck to all those affected.

It looks like this will hit Wilmington. There are times when football is not an important consideration and this it one of those times. I hope it decides to cut up an into the north Atlantic.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Mountainman wrote:HEADS-UP...... there’s a meeting tomorrow with the Athletic Directors from West Virginia and NC State to discuss alternatives in the event Hurricane Florence is predicted to impact the Mountaineer vs Wolfpack game in Raleigh as Is currently the case.

Appears, through the grapevine, everything is on the table from cancellation, rescheduling, to moving the game to Morgantown......... I’ll keep you posted.

HEADS-UP-UPDATE...... still no Official Word about whether the game will be played.

Grapevine is saying it’s doubtful the game will be played as alternatives are either not workable or doable or both. However, It is official that N.C. State has cancelled classes from Wednesday through Sunday while weather forecasters continue to project the storm to make landfall on the North Carolina Coastline (ranging from Charleston SC to Virginia Beach VA) and then travel inland toward Raleigh.

Interesting side-note, I heard today that since hurricanes have been officially tracked, beginning in the late 1800’s, there have been 50+ hurricanes on Florance’s current path, and NONE made landfall on the coastline of the United States...... if this one does hit, Good Luck to all those affected.

It looks like this will hit Wilmington. There are times when football is not an important consideration and this it one of those times. I hope it decides to cut up an into the north Atlantic.

Absolutely right, Spence, let’s hope that thing takes a sharp right turn.

It’s N.C. State’s and the Atlantic Coast Conference’s call, and there’s been no word from them about that yet.
Last edited by Mountainman on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:02 pm

........just received notice that the WVU vs N.C. State game “will not be played this weekend”.

Hmmmm, that was an interesting way of putting it.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:26 pm

/

Thanks Mountainman ... I just updated the Picks.

If they Reschedule this game, I'll post it that week it is played.

This week there will be 19 possible points. I'll make up for this next week with a 21 game Pick'Em list.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:40 pm

I sincerely hope that all will be safe. I am glad those in charge are deciding on the side of caution. Over the years we all have experienced games that were being played when even people schooled in Idaho had enough sense to pick up their bowl ball and go home.

However...I want half-credit for putting on my pick that the game would not be played...I need every 1/2 point I can get. I suck at this picking stuff.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:05 pm

/
donovan wrote:However...I want half-credit for putting on my pick that the game would not be played...I need every 1/2 point I can get. I suck at this picking stuff.

You got it ...

Donovan = + o.500 points for calling that game (8.) would not be played
Donovan = - o.500 points for panhandling extra credit from game adjudicator

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:18 pm

This storm is expected to be a bad one, as the governors of North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia have issued Mandatory Evacuation Orders and mobilized Emergency Services, FEMA is engaged........ and in East Tennessee, North Carolina’s western neighbor, the hotel and motel owners have slashed their rates for those North Carolinians seeking shelter from the storm. Good folks ‘down in those Tennessee Hills’.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Dossenator wrote:Cane, hard to wrap my mind around what happened. Ark completely dominated until right to the start of the 4th quarter.

The first play of the 4th quarter Ark has a fourth and a half a yard at mid field and they decided to punt. From that point on they gain 16 yards and Col St scored 25 points. Not sure I have seen a collapse like that...oh wait yes so have. 2 years ago in the Bell bowl Ark had a 21 point lead on Virginia Tech in the 2nd half and lost and had a 3 td lead on Missouri that year in the 2nd half and lost. It is becoming a tend.

Got to see the replay of this, and it seems Arkansas had the field position advantage, because the Razorbask defense was too much for Colorado ST most of the game long. They held `em to field goals, which were long kicks ... the first one was 55 yards.

It looks as if one play shifted the momentum. At about 4:30 left in the 3rd quarter, the Rams got a huge pass play that drove into the red zone for the first time n the game. Then the Razorback DB's had a breakdown --- Up to that moment, Arkansas' defensive backs were all over the receivers. I was extremely impressed with how they stuck to their guy, and were very disruptive --- That one big play gave the Rams new life, and Arkansas looked lost.

The Touchdown play by Colorado State was too easy, nobody was on the receiver --- the 2 point play, the exact same thing.

You are certainly right about Arkansas, and how they had control of this game. The way they were blowing up the line in the middle, gashing for long running yards through the center of Colorado St's defensive front --- Playing conservative on that 4th & 1 at the beginning of the 4th quarter is perplexing. You've been getting big gains up the middle, and they are struggling to stop you. Why not go for it there, and take the steam out of their engine..?

I also noticed that Arkansas had abandoned the run a bit, and tried to get things moving with screen plays & short passes. But Colorado State had been pretty good about concealing Arks receivers on the perimeter most of the game. I'm not sure what the play callers were thinking there.

The when the Rams got the ball back, Arkansas Corners were giving big pass plays, no longer pressing their man, and not getting help in the middle from the line backers --- then Colorado St hit them with the running game, because Arkansas was backing out into pass coverage --- The Rams built a bunch of confidence, and started making plays that earlier in the game were unsuccessful, such as the receivers making diving catches, and the QB releasing the ball, not taking the sack or throwing it erratically.

I think a lot of what happened here, was the second half play calling by Arkansas. I'm just not sure what the coaches were trying to prove. I mean, even if the Hawgs score one more field goal at some point in the second half, they win this game.

Just crazy.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:38 pm

Cane, just another heads-up, Virginia Tech and East Carolina have also cancelled their game per media reports.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:12 pm

/

Thanx Mountainman ...

So, if I'm Up to Date:

East Carolina -v- Virginia Tech --- Canceled
West Virginia -v- NC State --- Canceled
UCF -v- North Carolina --- Canceled

Southern Mississippi -v- Appalachian State --- Postponed
Norfolk State -v- Liberty --- Postponed

And, if anyone is interested, Coastal Carolina -v- Cambell is playing right now:
http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3436010

Have I missed any?

Cane... [__]

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Mountainman wrote:This storm is expected to be a bad one, as the governors of North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia have issued Mandatory Evacuation Orders and mobilized Emergency Services, FEMA is engaged........ and in East Tennessee, North Carolina’s western neighbor, the hotel and motel owners have slashed their rates for those North Carolinians seeking shelter from the storm. Good folks ‘down in those Tennessee Hills’.

Good for them. I pray for all their safety and in a real moment, I believe Southern folks are some of the most hospitable and caring in this country.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:15 pm

/

Gotta Love that Cambell team ... the Fighting Camels.

Cane... [__]

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:17 pm

Cane, Exactly right on Ark game. That lose Sat was the 15th loss in the past 3 years where Ark lead in the 4th quarter. 4 of those games they had 18-21 point leads.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 pm

Us Mountaineer fans will know a lot more about the Big XII after this Saturday’s games.

Oklahoma vs Iowa State, the Cyclones upset the Sooners last season with Baker Mayfield behind center and last weekend the Sooners lost their star running back for the remainder of the season. In any event, Oklahoma usually has a stable full of running back and the Cyclones appear to be having trouble scoring. Hell, won’t learn anything here, the Sooners are always good.

Oklahoma State has got an opponent with a heartbeat on a good Boise State. The Cowboys score a bunch, but can they score a bunch against a good team and can they play defense?

TCU has the Buckeyes, keeping it close will speak volumes...... don’t sell Gary Patterson short, he’s one hell of a defensive coach.

Texas gets Southern Cal...... neither is what they used to be, but both are loaded with good players. Longhorns better win this one at home or the rumbling will begin again and this time Tom Herman will be the target.

Baylor gets Duke in Waco. Baylor has played the little sisters of the poor so far this season. Beating a good Blue Devils team would be saying the Bears are on the way back from that mess they brought on themselves.

Kansas State gets UTSA. Bill Snyder is a fundamental, blocking and tackling coach...... and K-State has done none of those so far this season.

Texas Tech get Houston. It was rumored before the season the Red Raiders were going to have a defense this season....... so far that was either a bold-faced lie or somebody thought because they saw them wrapping-up a tackling dummy during pre-season they would have a defense. They can score, but we’ve always known that.

Kansas won a road game last weekend........ and it made the front page of many media sources and got mentioned of SportsCenter. This week the Jayhawks have Rutgers at home....... if they win, I still won’t know anymore about them.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:27 am

/
Mountainman wrote:Baylor gets Duke in Waco. Baylor has played the little sisters of the poor so far this season. Beating a good Blue Devils team would be saying the Bears are on the way back from that mess they brought on themselves.

Not sure you learn anything here, even if the Bears do win.

Duke lost a Starting Corner this past weekend, leaving their secondary depth thin. Which is no good when you are playing against a team who likes to score bunches of points by throwing the ball all day.

Duke also lost their Starting Quarterback for the season in the game against Northwestern. I don't know how, if at all, decent, the backup QB is.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”