Week 2 Ramblings

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Week 2 Ramblings

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:36 am

Week 2 Ramblings

1. We now nothing more about Alabama than last week other than as Mr. Billybud pointed out, who is going to be their opponent in the whatever that’s called.
2. The fans in Kansas went from being Crazy because they could never win on the road to Crazy because they did. So, no change in Kansas
3. The media loving Chip Kelley may not save him. Basically, he needs to be saved from himself.
4. Kentucky – See number 2 – with their record against Florida. I thought Kentucky looked good and Florida’s offense was “nothing burger.”
5. Colorado may be for real.
6. Boise State – I get no one cares – Troy thrashed Florida A & M???- and if they beat Nebraska next week having lost to Boise and Boise beats Oklahoma State, then as Mr. Billybud points outs, Boise will move up .004 in the national ratings. (The game announcers were so bad. They mention Connecticut about three times all game and took 5 minutes in the second half talking about Coal, the dog that fetches the kicking tee every game. Coal worked more than the players.)
7. Is Georgia really good or South Carolina really bad – and none of this ‘a little of both’ baloney. Georgia is really very good and may be the answer to the question in number 1.
8. Michigan State has no offense and Arizona State is lucky. But games are just starting with Mountainman and Mr. Billybud are dreaming.
9. Poor Willie…
10. After Clemson’s game against Texas A & M, the Tigers will not be the answer to question number one. Play a high school the first game only works if you trounce the second one. Was a good game to watch and I thought A & M, one of the schools I despise for reasons that I will not express, not as much as TCU, however, but I digress, looked good.
11. Maybe we won’t have to hear anything more about Arizona, Sumlin and Tate and the who cares about Heisman anyway.
12. Ohio State – I don’t think Rutgers is that bad – Ohio State seems to be – They appear to have QB’s 10 deep. Not much of a test with TCU but hopefully they get them out of the picture next week.
13. Oregon State thinks it was a great victory – they are delusional. Oregon has always been delusional and beating Portland State-not ever Portland Stater’s cared.
14. Washington trounced North Dakota. Washington’s blocking was dismal. The peanut hawker played the second half. But they still lost the big one last week and get no points for yesterday.
15. Washington State is the real deal. Beating San Jose was not the issue. They missed very few assignments and tackled and blocked.
16. BYU irrelevant
17. Hawaii is 3-0
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Week 2 Ramblings

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:20 am

After 31 straight losses to Florida and finally winning...you know Kentucky went bonkers...car horns blowing throughout the state, people dancing in the streets, barrels of bourbon being rolled out and les bons temp rouler.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:51 am

Florida and South Carolina....why were they even in the rankings to begin with? Oh right they are in the SEC. Florida was awful last season and this game goes to show they arent much better this season. Good riddance and stay away.

donovan wrote:5. Colorado may be for real.

Yes I have been impressed with them. They had a chance to pack it in and they kept fighting and got a nice road win. Slightly related, Colorado State got a surprising win after rallying from yet another big deficit. 2 rallies, but the Buffs really never gave them anything.

The Pac 12 South should be entertaining. Colorado looks good, Utah barely escaped last night but I still like them to win the division. ASU is good enough to ruin someone's hope but they wont win enough to be there. Arizona and UCLA look lost, Arizona has a couple easy games to fix things, UCLA is in deep.

An extra note on Week 2...Memphis gave that game away. These early season conference games can be very costly. Navy stays in the conversation, but Houston looks to be the team from the West.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:02 am

Donovan...... Iet me set the record straight. I was not ‘dreaming, I was making love, and as you know when making love only one of you can see the TV. :lol:

.........and btw, I did get to watch the last 4 minutes of the Arizona/Michigan State game. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:25 pm

Mountainman wrote: and as you know when making love only one of you can see the TV.

You know ..? If you get one of those Wristwatch TV's; you can watch the game from any position.

And if you have a Bluetooth ear Piece in, when you yell out, O' Baby, Yes! You wife Might actually think you mean her. :wink:

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote: and as you know when making love only one of you can see the TV.

You know ..? If you get one of those Wristwatch TV's; you can watch the game from any position.

And if you have a Bluetooth ear Piece in, when you yell out, O' Baby, Yes! You wife Might actually think you mean her. :wink:

Nah, she likes to do the ‘play by play’ and claims something like that would ‘take all the fun out of it’......... I sometimes wonder what she means by that. :|
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:08 pm

Nebraska having the ball with 2 minutes and something left. They are snapping it with 20-30 seconds left on the play clock. Just because they are a tempo team. Oh yeah, and they lose..

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:19 am

Mountainman wrote:Donovan...... Iet me set the record straight. I was not ‘dreaming, I was making love, and as you know when making love only one of you can see the TV. :lol:

.........and btw, I did get to watch the last 4 minutes of the Arizona/Michigan State game. :wink:

You may have been dreaming you were in the throes of passion.

So I told Mrs. Donovan what you said and she told me not to mention ours because they probably don't want to hear another short story...
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:52 am

donovan wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Donovan...... Iet me set the record straight. I was not ‘dreaming, I was making love, and as you know when making love only one of you can see the TV. :lol:

So I told Mrs. Donovan what you said and she told me not to mention ours because they probably don't want to hear another short story...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I sure hope you're right about Georgia being good enough to dethrone Alabama.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:56 am

donovan wrote:

Doesn’t matter if it’s a ‘long drive, or a ‘short drive’ as long as you ‘score’...... but what’s really bad when one finds themselves in circumstances such as this, is after you’ve ‘scored’ and really want to watch the rest of the game, they look up at you and say, “Let’s go for two”. :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:50 pm

I don't have a gauge on Ohio State yet because they haven't been tested yet. Neither Oregon State or Rutgers are good enough on either side of the ball to get a good read. Maybe this week will show us something.

Notre Dame played horribly against Ball State. If that wasn't a big let down from the Michigan game, then neither Michigan or Notre Dame have much to look forward to this year. I will be home this weekend so I'm going to watch some games and see if I can get a feel for the teams this year.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:27 pm

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:Nebraska having the ball with 2 minutes and something left. They are snapping it with 20-30 seconds left on the play clock. Just because they are a tempo team. Oh yeah, and they lose..

Welcome back, Collegefbfan!

Yeah, that Nebraska/Colorado finish was intense ... literally coming down to the last play.

Here are the game highlights for anyone who missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kppmdIUtNTc

Unfortunately, this doesn't show that Nebraska had a false start penalty, and used their final timeout to avoid the 10 second run off with 26 seconds left.

Then they had three more plays -- One that got them only 8 yards and out of bounds, with 9 seconds left -- Two the ball was thrown out of the back of the end zone leaving 0:03 on the clock -- then the last play.

I took Colorado to win this game, but thought that Nebraska might have won, had their opener not been cancelled. The Huskers played well, however.

Hey, at least the Hokies look pretty Stout this season.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:42 pm

Even the announcers were talking about this. Watch the last four minutes of the game. They talk about Nebraska being a tempo team, but that doesn't mean snap the ball when there is still 20-30 seconds left on play clock. Run it all the way doesn't and leave the Buffs with maybe 50-60 seconds left on game clock. Thanks Cane for the welcome back.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:23 pm

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:Even the announcers were talking about this. Watch the last four minutes of the game. They talk about Nebraska being a tempo team, but that doesn't mean snap the ball when there is still 20-30 seconds left on play clock. Run it all the way doesn't and leave the Buffs with maybe 50-60 seconds left on game clock. Thanks Cane for the welcome back.

Tempo mostly means getting to the line in time to go if you want...wait if you want.... mostly affect how the other teams sub players in and out. You can get to the line quick and then run all of the time off the 25 second clock.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:49 pm

/

Actually, I thought Colorado had made a mistake by scoring the way they had on their last offensive play. They were down by just 1 point. They got into the end zone with 1:04 left on the clock. That catch, if the receiver goes down at the 1 yard line, would have given Colorado the chance to sap some of the clock. Run the ball once or twice, then kick the field goal from inside the 5 yard line if held to 4th down.

They could have used all of the time, without having to kick the ball back to Nebraska. Or at least forced Nebraska to use their final timeout.

On the other hand; if you're the receiver, and you know there is more or less 1 minute remaining in the game, and you catch that ball ... it's hard to fault him for just going in for the score. Especially in that split second he would have to make that choice.

Either way, it was a tough fought game. One where both fan bases can come away proud of their team for giving it all they had.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”