So, How’d You Like.......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

So, How’d You Like.......

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:33 am

........the new kickoff rule??? While watching the Mounties and Vols game in person, I saw some pretty violent collisions between the blockers and defenders on the run down to the kick returner.

If safety is indeed the objective, I believe what Greg Schiano suggested some time ago just might be a better alternative all the way around.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: So, How’d You Like.......

Postby donovan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:07 pm

The idea that we should have fewer runbacks at kickoff, I find puzzling. In all games, whether it be cards, sports, etc, there is excitement where one play can change the tide. Certainly, the kickoff can do that. I like the onside kick. I like the fact the opposite teams gets the ball. I wish we would go back to kicking off at the 20-yard line and there would be somewhat more runbacks. Kickers kicker much farther today and all of the ones that go into the end zone, does nothing for me.

Now to the issue of safety. Constantly changing the rules of the game will not make it safer. The problem lies in the equipment. It is so touted as protection that the players believe they are invincible. The believe they will be protected by all of the paddings, etc. They aren't and they won't be.

You want safe football then this is what the players should wear. Shorts and shirts. New modern concussion detecting helmets. (No spearing any part of the body with the helmet, that is the rule) A protective cup and that is it.

When your body is in harm's way as much as the opponents, hitting takes on a totally different outlook.

Lastly, I am not convinced College football cares about safety other than bad publicity. I am sure the fans don't. Implement my plan and there would be minimal injuries and 17 people in the grandstands and everyone on Saturday watching reruns of "My Mother the Car." The good point is there would be no National Championship and we could go back to regional football.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:25 pm

I'm not a fan either. I think fair catching on the 2 and going to the 25 hurts having a good kicker. If the coaches are worried about injuries then they can either try and let the ball travel in the endzone or start where they fair catch it. And if that isn't satisfactory, then just start on the 20 without a kick like the pop warner kids.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:09 pm

Agreed, kickoff returns are a good part of the game...... they’re the 4th ace on the draw in straight poker, the half-court buzzer beater in basketball, the service ace in tennis, the homerun in baseball, the hole-in-one in golf and need to be preserved and remain a part of the game.

The safety of the players is also important and needs to be a Top Priority. How best to go about addressing the safety of the players while maintaining the nature of the game will be a critical task going forward.

The NCAA appears to have taken a ‘cause and effect’ approach and their thinking was that if we reduce the number of ‘causes’ the number of ‘effects’ will hopefully be reduced. I can only conclude they believe there’s an acceptable level of safety with that type of thinking, especially when considering they did nothing to address some defenders and some blockers still get a 30 yard run at each other before contact. Many don’t get to see those collisions because they don’t show it on TV, and many at the stadiums are watching the ball.

So, I sometimes also question their commitment to safety, especially when I compare it to their commitment to continue generating that 1.6 billion dollars they did last year. :shock:

........and btw, with Schiano’s suggestion the ‘kickoffs’ would be different, but there would be more kickoff returns.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:01 pm

You want safe football then this is what the players should wear. Shorts and shirts. New modern concussion detecting helmets. (No spearing any part of the body with the helmet, that is the rule) A protective cup and that is it.

Exactly what they do in rugby.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:12 am

Derek wrote:

Not exactly, but at least you thought about it. In Rugby, they have a real concussion issue. It is not from head to head contact but the sudden stopping of the players. The brains crash into the skull on the sudden stop. They also have many spinal injuries. Scrums twist and turn the spine.

I, however, think you are correct Derek, less padding and they still feel they are invincible.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:54 am

My brain is now showing signs of the crashing back in forth in my skull that it took all those years ago...

...when teaching Ms. Billy how to drive a stick shift.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:58 am

billybud wrote:My brain is now showing signs of the crashing back in forth in my skull that it took all those years ago...

...when teaching Ms. Billy how to drive a stick shift.

.........not to mention the psychological scars caused by the guilt of knowing it was “your fault” your lovely wife didn’t know how to do it to began with and dealing with reality of accepting the inverted logical diagnosis your wife offered of “if you’d been a better SSDT, Stick Shift Driving Teacher, she would have done better” :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:22 am

I saw the whole thing coming...like a slow motion train wreck.

Salesman to Ms. Billy..."Oh, a gal like you won't want that car. It's a stick shift. Let me show you a sporty automatic."

Ms. Billy turning to me..."Honey, will you go inside and find someone who wants to sell us this car."
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:12 pm

donovan wrote:
Derek wrote:

Not exactly, but at least you thought about it. In Rugby, they have a real concussion issue. It is not from head to head contact but the sudden stopping of the players. The brains crash into the skull on the sudden stop. They also have many spinal injuries. Scrums twist and turn the spine.

I, however, think you are correct Derek, less padding and they still feel they are invincible.

And that is the thing here. There is no amount of padding that will prevent a concussion. Unless they put the pad between the brain and the skull. My daughter plays soccer, golf, and basketball. She has had 3 concussions. Two in soccer and one taking a charge in basketball. I told he if she has another one she is done, because there is nothing that can be done to protect against it. She never took a head to head shot in any of them. If they truely want to end concussions in football you have to end tackling. Even that won't end it, but it would reduce the numbers substantually. If you end tackling the game is done. How many people would go see a flag football game? Even if it was free. Football is a violent game. There are going to be injuries. I get not allowing projectile tackling, but form tacking is the safest thing they can do and keep the game true to it's roots. If they are really serious about being safe they need to stop running backs from leading with their heads.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:56 am

Mountainman wrote:........the new kickoff rule??? While watching the Mounties and Vols game in person, I saw some pretty violent collisions between the blockers and defenders on the run down to the kick returner.

If safety is indeed the objective, I believe what Greg Schiano suggested some time ago just might be a better alternative all the way around.

So what I saw many times today were fair catches so the ball went to the 25. I looked up some statistics and basically, there is no change in ball placement between fair catch - end zone kicks to the 25 or returns which average 24.1 yards returned. I suspect at seasons end there will be a discussion.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:41 am

donovan wrote:
Mountainman wrote:........the new kickoff rule??? While watching the Mounties and Vols game in person, I saw some pretty violent collisions between the blockers and defenders on the run down to the kick returner.

So what I saw many times today were fair catches so the ball went to the 25. I looked up some statistics and basically, there is no change in ball placement between fair catch - end zone kicks to the 25 or returns which average 24.1 yards returned. I suspect at seasons end there will be a discussion.

Little doubt there’ll be discussions........ I’ll reserve my right to opine about what the NCAA actually does and question their motives and methods once they done it. :twisted:

Return to “General Discussion”