Week 1 Musing

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Week 1 Musing

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:49 am

Musings on Yesterday's games, Week 1

1. We know nothing more about Alabama than we did before the Louisville game; they may well repeat the title – but we knew that
2. USC doesn’t deserve all the hype by beating Nevada. They were not polished, I didn’t think.
3. UCLA was out coached and Chip Kelly’s days may already be on the countdown. Terrible and all Kelly’s fault…bad decisions with players.
4. Lane Kiffin needs to have a better schedule…that are not in that league nor will they ever. Just because you are from Florida does not mean you get a free ride…well almost, but not on the field.
5. Neal from Purdue needs a win so his blunder is forgotten.
6. Any take away from Clemson’s win is poppycock. See number 1.
7. Stanford picks up where Washington falter to be the team to beat.
8. Washington will be better but too many mistakes. Peterson is with a fickle crowd and they weren’t looking for a first game loss. To be out of the hunt after the first game…not good…But that is the way West Coast teams are, one and out.
9. Michigan St…done.
10. The SEC is just too tough for anyone.
11. Boise State looks pretty good. Well conditioned and stamina prevailed.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Week 1 Musing

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:18 am

donovan wrote:Musings on Yesterday's games, Week 1

1. We know nothing more about Alabama than we did before the Louisville game; they may well repeat the title – but we knew that
2. USC doesn’t deserve all the hype by beating Nevada. They were not polished, I didn’t think.
3. UCLA was out coached and Chip Kelly’s days may already be on the countdown. Terrible and all Kelly’s fault…bad decisions with players.
4. Lane Kiffin needs to have a better schedule…that are not in that league nor will they ever. Just because you are from Florida does not mean you get a free ride…well almost, but not on the field.
5. Neal from Purdue needs a win so his blunder is forgotten.
6. Any take away from Clemson’s win is poppycock. See number 1.
7. Stanford picks up where Washington falter to be the team to beat.
8. Washington will be better but too many mistakes. Peterson is with a fickle crowd and they weren’t looking for a first game loss. To be out of the hunt after the first game…not good…But that is the way West Coast teams are, one and out.
9. Michigan St…done.
10. The SEC is just too tough for anyone.
11. Boise State looks pretty good. Well conditioned and stamina prevailed.

12. BYU looks like a completely different team from last season. They are not merely Not out of the game with Arizona ... they may actually win it.
13. If BYU does win tonight, the Arizona administration will be wiping the egg off of their faces until conference play. Losing to an out of conference team. Losing to an independent non Power5 program --- Sumlin will be the scapegoat.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:07 am

You can fairly add that you can't tell much about UCF from their win over UConn, either. UConn is a young mess playing maybe one of the nation's youngest defensive backfields.

... or anything about Georgia, or Oklahoma, or Mississippi State, or TCU..etc.
Last edited by billybud on Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:34 am

Some take aways from the Michigan-Notre Dame game.

....Atrocious clock management by Harbaugh at the end...no sense of urgency...full huddles...clock ticking, ticking. The staff looks like they had not installed a hurry up offense.

....Wolverines O tackles (especially Runyan) were having a tough night against the Domers..The Irish were whipping them pretty well. Michigan's best drive was at the end against a gassed Notre Dame defense. But dropping back to pass was always an adventure...and taking a sack in the end moments was a killer.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:09 am

And finally...the old Beatles tune "Money can buy you diamond rings and things" doesn't hold true for championship diamond rings...at least for Texas.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:43 am

I think that we can ink in Alabama in the playoff now...maybe even print up national champ T-shirts.

With Tua aa a QB that will be on future Heisman lists...talent everywhere...the run for the championship seems more like the run to be the one that will oppose the Tide.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:09 pm

billybud wrote:I think that we can ink in Alabama in the playoff now...maybe even print up national champ T-shirts.

With Tua aa a QB that will be on future Heisman lists...talent everywhere...the run for the championship seems more like the run to be the one that will oppose the Tide.

I agree. I really like Tua as QB. Saban may try real hard to keep Hurts on the team by saying he likes them both, but Hurts is his mop up guy. Which might end up being a pretty good gig if Tua plays as well as he did yesterday all season.

I thought Washington played pretty well. There are some talent gaps that need addressed, but they are going to be there in the end I think.

I have never been a Chip Kelly fan and he has done nothing lately to change my mind. I think Chip Kelly rode Mike Bellotti' s coat tails to a career and his 15 minutes are almost up.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:38 pm

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:59 pm

[quote="billybud"]Noooooooo!

How come the team I follow act like third-grade arrogant rapscallions? So embarrassing.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:55 am

At least they got to use their thrown ...

Miami may just as well have handed their turnover prop to the LSU sideline last night.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:01 am

I guess FSU has to get into the turnover prop act...

My choice......hang a scalp on the belt for each take away...maybe dabbed with red paint (the havoc that would cause!)

Or...since some folks like to type F$U instead of FSU...just award a $ sign for the helmet for a take away.

Or...let's just go old school and pat a player as he comes out after snaring a TO Yep..that'd be the one..

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:07 pm

billybud wrote:I guess FSU has to get into the turnover prop act...

My choice......hang a scalp on the belt for each take away...maybe dabbed with red paint (the havoc that would cause!)

The sad reality is; The Leftist Social/National Media would Praise FSU for this sort of thing, as long as the Seminoles came out ahead of it, calling it a way to be more inclusive by adding diversity to their program.

And if the `Noles made sure to make all of the Scalps white, the Leftist Media would call anyone who opposed it an insensitive racist & facist.

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:22 pm

That would be the same leftist PC media that hysterically demanded that the NCAA not let FSU play under the name Seminoles nor have Osceola on horseback.

The NCAA grabbed it and told FSU that they had to change to something like Tigers, Wildcats, or Polecats.

The Seminole Tribe of Florida then made the PC media and the NCAA squirm.

They said..."Nobody asked us what we want. Another case of white paternalism. White men telling the indian what he should want"...We make Osceola's outfit for FSU and support the use of Osceola as a Seminole symbol and the use of our tribal name. We have a special affiliation with the Seminoles of Florida State University.

Go fish.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:21 pm

Got back from Charlotte today after spending some time this weekend with family and friends, good times and lots of old stories retold....... here’s my musings from the game.

First, it was incredibly hot and humid which raises my concerns about all the chatter about ‘player safety’ versus ‘television revenue’....... makes me wonder just how many total ‘bags’ both teams IV’d into the players arms at halftime and post game. :roll:

The Offense:
The Mountaineer’s passing game is the real deal, although the jury is still out on the running game. Absolutely going to need to run the ball once opposing team go to the Cover 5, 2 on top and 4 down defensive sets. There were few penalties, 1 turnover and 40 points scored running 61 plays........ that’s pretty dog-gone impressive.

The Defense:
Defensive line play was fantastic, with 2 linebackers injuries pre-season, that will return later this season, and one ‘banged-up or maybe worse” during the game the Mountaineers are thin at that position. The corners are OK, but young and need work, and have to grow-up quickly. The safety spot(s) are good to go.

The Kicking Game:
Every kickoff was to the goal line or endzone but for 1 which was fielded at the 1yardline. Place kicking 2 - 2 routine kicks. Punting around 44 yards per, coverage looked good, didn’t get to see much else such as accuracy or directional stuff.

The Experience:
Tennessee Fans singing Rocky Top is outstanding and a must see and hear experience if one gets the chance.

West Virginia Fans singing Country Roads, simply fabulous.

West Virginia fan, after the game, stripping down to his jockey undershorts and jumping into the HOTEL’S SWIMMING POOL while hollering “It’s too explicitive hot!!!” while his wife was calling him a “explicitive idiot!!!” after the game. :lol:

Let’s Goooooooooo Mountaineers!!!!!
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 pm

Did you tell your wife she shouldnt talk to you that way. :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”