Well, Here Is One Tiger That Won't Bite Us

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Well, Here Is One Tiger That Won't Bite Us

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:06 am

LSU starts the season Sept. 2 in a neutral-field contest against the Miami Hurricanes in Arlington, Texas.

LSU LB Tyler Taylor figured to compete for significant playing time during the 2018 season considering he appeared in every game last year as a freshman and posted 32 total tackles and 1.5 sacks.

However!

Tyler Taylor was charged with three felonies and subsequently suspended indefinitely for violating team rules.

Taylor was the getaway driver for a robbery of a pawn shop on Jan. 8 and charged with conspiracy to commit a crime, party to a crime and theft by receiving stolen property, which are all felony charges.

He was arrested for his involvement May 31.

According to the report, eight shotguns, three rifles and a semi-automatic rifle were stolen from the pawn shop. One of the suspects who robbed the shop told police Taylor was involved as the driver, and investigators noted the linebacker’s phone records revealed he was there the morning of the incident.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Well, Here Is One Tiger That Won't Bite Us

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:08 am

In other LSU news:

FSU & LSU are reported to have agreed to 2-Game, Neutral-Site CFB Series for 2022 and 2023.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:46 am

I may be doddering by then...but I do intend to hit the Big Easy one more time for the LSU game (they call that a neutral site, but I am not so sure..LOL).

New Orleans marks a defining time in my life....I went New Orleans 54 years ago( I was 18) to spend my last three weeks as a civilian before entering Parris Island, My buddy and I lived in an apartment on St. Charles that his family owned. Took the trolley into the quarter every night. Learned what alcohol was about (my first drinking experience). Played the conga's in the La Casa De Los Marinos bar until they would throw us out at closing. This was a latin seaman's bar...rough place...but we were 18.

It was the demarcation point between my boyhood and manhood...still a time of innocence and wonder....I was a different Billy then...and I sometimes fondly remember that boy.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Don't burst my bubble, I still think you are that boy. Keeping the body and spirit in the same time zones becomes a more difficult task, even on some days, hourly.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:42 pm

I'm interested in how Joe Burrow does at LSU.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:03 am

I like LSU's cornervback...Greedy Williams.

Another great sports name.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:26 pm

billybud wrote:I like LSU's cornervback...Greedy Williams.

Another great sports name.

Too bad his last name isn't Banks.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:51 pm

billybud wrote:I may be doddering by then...but I do intend to hit the Big Easy one more time for the LSU game (they call that a neutral site, but I am not so sure..LOL).

Yeah, similar to the way Arlington Texas, is supposed to be a neutral site when we play LSU.

Baton Rouge is approximately 385 miles from Arlington Texas.
Miami Florida is approximately 1127 miles from Arlington Texas.

It was the same thing with Notre Dame when we had a one off with them at a "Neutral Field" a few years back in Chicago.

South Bend is about 73 miles from Chicago.
Miami is 1189 miles from Chicago.

Funny, how when Miami inks a deal to a Neutral location, the Stadium always seems to be several hundred to a thousand miles further for us, and on the other side of the state of the team we're playing against.

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 am

When you are an inner tube ride from Cuba, any place is further for Miami unless you book Havana Stadium.

And it is fitting...now that UMass has a new stadium, Miami students have to travel farther from campus to see the game in their home stadium....than any other P5 team.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:13 am

True ... but if you're going to do a neutral field site, then the stadium should probably be a local somewhere in between the to schools, rather than further on the opposite side of the school who doesn't have to travel as far.

Never the less ... the Athletics Department signed off on it, so this does fall on the the university to make these arrangements fit.

And, with regards to Arlington. It is a current trend for teams to play their games in that venue. One of profitable means. And seeing how LSU fans are likely to out number `Canes fans 10 to 1 on this date; we'll be taking our share of the gate from the Tigers following. :mrgreen:

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:46 pm

I'd weep for the Canes if they hadn't played in the Orange Bowl last year against Wisconsin...whose fans had to make a continental migration from the tundra to the tropics in order to see the game while it was a taxi ride for Cane guys.

Or the last time FSU and Miami met in a bowl...it was the Orange Bowl...Miami's home field. No..my tears don't flow for the Canes.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:26 am

Yeah, because taking a January 1rst vacation to the tropics and leaving 2 feet of snow behind is such a terrible thing. At least the people from Wisconsin got a vacation feel. Where as for Miami fans, it is just a cooler day in the year.

billybud wrote:Or the last time FSU and Miami met in a bowl...it was the Orange Bowl...Miami's home field.

Well, Tallahassee in January isn't bad ... but then again, the nightlife and New Year's scene is rather bland.

I believe your memory is starting to fade, though ... the Bowl game between Miami/fsu was on January 1rst 2004, in Miami Gardens [then, Pro Player Stadium]. This had been the venue for the Orange Bowl Game since 1996. The original Orange Bowl Stadium [Miami's Home field] was no longer the site for the Bowl game. The Hurricanes did not move to Pro Player until the 2008 season. And thus, it technically was not a home field game for the `Canes.

And, for the record ... the 2004 Orange Bowl game was the only time Miami and Florida St ever played each other in the post season :wink:

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:59 pm

OK...but still a taxi ride for Cane fans....

And, FYI, January in western NC is much nicer than January in Tallahassee.

It's the wet cold of Tallahassee....I remember my Wisconsin grandparents visiting one winter and fleeing back home to the Wisconsin farm because it was too raw in Tallahassee.

When it is below 40 in Tallahassee, it is miserable....I go out in 17 degrees in NC and am much more comfortable.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Yes, a taxi ride to a victory in the only Bowl game we've ever played against the `noles :twisted:

FSU is one game under .500 all time against Florida schools in post season play.

Against Miami; the `Noles are 0-1
Against the gators; the `Noles are 1-1 [both games played in the Sugar Bowl]
Against Stetson; the `Noles are 0-0-1 [Florida Times-Union’s Championship Cup, 1903]

billybud wrote:When it is below 40 in Tallahassee, it is miserable....

Perspective is a grand thing.

I get uncomfortable regardless of the weather [temperature] whenever I'm in Tallahassee ... though, less uncomfortable than when I'm in Gainesville [which is less often now a days].

Gotta Love this board --- Gainesville comes up as a red line typo --- then again, Derek is the new resident overlord.

Cane... [__]

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:33 pm

And to think there are people dying in the world and going to bed hungry and not living in the Great Northwest.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”