Bowl Venues Expanding ... again

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Bowl Venues Expanding ... again

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:54 pm

According to recent reports, the bowl season may see 3 additional games being included starting in the 2020 year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780 ... e-football

:|

65% of 130 teams would have a chance at the extended post season.

I don't know if this is an attempt to over saturate the market, until the bowls collapse & go away, causing as separation in the conferences, so that the Power5 can have their own division, in order to put more emphasis on the playoffs.

Or, if a bump in the stability of our economy is seeing a larger revenue base that allows for more post season sponsorship. Also, if projected figures show potential market growth and viewership; the additional games maybe the conferences wanting to be able to eat their cake, too.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Bowl Venues Expanding ... again

Postby donovan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:22 pm

Seems to me this is exactly the wrong direction. The PAC 12 is not allowing 5=7 teams to participate and as this article states, it does not go far enough.

Where is the Mediocrity Bowl?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900020775/doug-robinson-pac-12-bowl-rule-is-step-in-right-direction-but-doesnt-go-far-enough.html
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:56 am

Way..way too many meaningless bowls...The Mediocrity Bowl?

That has to be the Chicago Bowl...the 10th place ACC team vs a bottom barrel Big 12 team....in the Windy City in the winter.

at least there is no blue carpet.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:53 pm

billybud wrote:at least there is no blue carpet.

You could only wish!

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:25 pm

No blue turf, just blue faces & hypothermia in the stands.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 am

Boise and Chicago have almost identical December temps for mid to late December.....too cold for a southern boy...highs of a few degrees above water freezing to a low of 23 or so average.

My personal coldest was sitting through a bowl in 18 degree weather in my Florida winter wear (a London Fog windbreaker)....never again !
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:53 am

Temperature wise that is correct. The Humanitarian Bowl against Louisville, some years back the temperature was 9 degrees, colder than a mother's-in-law kiss, well not that cold but cold...

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:10 pm

I used to watch all of them. I can't say that anymore. Add three and that is just 3 more I probably won't catch. As long as someone is paying, though, they will keep adding. I remember when the Big10 only allowed the conference champ to go to a bowl.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:25 pm

I remember some years back, driving home on Christmas Eve to let my dogs out for a few minutes, before going back to my in laws house.

The Temperature that night was a flat Zero degrees, No windchill.

South Bend is 90 miles away from Chicago, just on the other side of Lake Michigan. You could draw a lateral line on a map and connect the dots ... a Late December bowl game there; makes me glad for the comfort of my own home.

Cane... [__]

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:46 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:.

65% of 130 teams would have a chance at the extended post season.

I don't know if this is an attempt to over saturate the market, until the bowls collapse & go away, causing as separation in the conferences, so that the Power5 can have their own division, in order to put more emphasis on the playoffs.

Overwhelm the system so to speak. I get that, since it works in politics pretty well.

But they are def. trying to get more viewers with more teams. Whether that's for just money, or trying to get a playoff I can't say. Maybe both.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:24 pm

The season is sports dead except for bowls...and football is still a draw...a minor bowl will draw more than a mid pack basketball match in what really is the basketball preseason...

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:49 pm

This is not untrue in my case ... I would prefer to tune in to a minor College Bowl game, than watch even the nba playoffs. In that regards, I can agree.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”