Coaching Moves

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Coaching Moves

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:35 pm

Looks as though Tennessee is now setting their sites on Alabama's Defensive Coordinator, Jeremy Pruitt.

What a flip!

From a Pro form Offense & Defense mind in Gruden, to a Defensive guy in Schiano, to an Offensive heavy guy in Leach, and now back to Defense with Pruitt.

Tennessee is grasping at the straws. Maybe they should take him off the coaching search, and just throw the money at Manning to be the Head Coach.

{naw, never mind ... the Pizza business is quite lucrative}

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:51 pm

SMU now has an opening as Arkansas hires Chad Morris as their new Head Coach.

Apparently all reports of other potential coaches Arkansas would favor, or even consider were just media fluff. It seems that Morris was "The" guy from the moment Bielema was released.

Chad Morris is a Dabo Sweeney protege. He was the Offensive Coordinator at Clemson for four seasons, and was the recruiter who landed DeShawn Watson.

Pretty good hire from my vantage.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:25 pm

This is pretty well the sentiments about Taggart. I tend to agree. And despite the article I read from Florida where they say he brought excitement to Oregon football, Oregonians do not believe that because he did not.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/12/canzano_willie_taggarts_exit.html#incart_river_home_pop
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:25 pm

When you take over a team that went 4-8 like Oregon went pre Taggart...and bring them to 7-5...it doesn't give you a lot of a chance to be exciting yet.

Fans don't get excited about 7-5...particularly if just a few years back the team won 13 games.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:07 pm

billybud wrote:When you take over a team that went 4-8 like Oregon went pre Taggart...and bring them to 7-5...it doesn't give you a lot of a chance to be exciting yet.

Fans don't get excited about 7-5...particularly if just a few years back the team won 13 games.

U of O fans want showmanship. Not so much at OSU where they are tending the cows. U of O if you visit there you think it is crazy with all the attractions. They like the Kelly's that are flamboyant in life and on the field, Snap the ball within 15 seconds of the last down..etc. They want a PT Barnum...I wonder if I could coach...Flim Flam... nothing wrong with that, it's entertainment....and gambling. Which a friend of mine once said, "Odds are never in your favor." I digress

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:40 pm

ahhhh...

You do become how you dress.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:38 pm

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:17 am

Pruitt to Tennessee is a great move for the Vols,,,,

We loved him as a DC...he is young, a great recruiter, a good football mind....if anyone can raise Lazarus, it will be Pruitt.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:44 am

Mike Riley going back to Oregon State, where a former player of his Jonathan Smith is the new coach, is not a bad move. Riely was liked at OSU and seems to be a genuinely nice guy. I think he will be a great mentor for Smith and eventually will find a position with Oregon State in the Athletic Directors Office. Oregon State is in a position to move up in a couple of years. They have Ohio State and Oklahoma State twice in the next three years on their schedule. I am optimistic about they laying down a solid foundation. That last one the PAC 12 in 2000. Dee Andros, the Great Pumpkin, was the most memorable coach.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:17 pm

Looks like Oregon will hire Cristobal...try to save the recruiting class, keep continuity....

I wonder if they can now keep Leavitt...or does he give Willie T a call?

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:09 am

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:44 am

California is beautiful as well...but more flammable.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:47 am

You know...I felt that I was mislead for decades...I listened to the recent news about the Santa Anna winds...and here I had thought that out west that they called the wind Mariah.

Who can you trust if not the Kingston Trio?

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:25 am

billybud wrote:You know...I felt that I was mislead for decades...I listened to the recent news about the Santa Anna winds...and here I had thought that out west that they called the wind Mariah.

Who can you trust if not the Kingston Trio?

Never lose faith in the Kingston Trio like Tom Dooley did. Tess and her family moved to the Northwest and Mariah moved to the Dakotas while Joe just stayed in California.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:54 pm

billybud wrote:California is beautiful as well...but more flammable.

:lol: We drove down Highway one from San Francisco to see the coast line a couple years ago. When we got to Big Sir the campgrounds were closed to firefighters. I'm not sure how long. There was no fire in that area of the time in Big Sir, but I think there was one in the San Jose area. They are just always on fire alert. I wonder if it is because of the drought or because of the lack of cutting down the old growth.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”