Predictions Bowl Season --- Week Fourteen Winner

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Predictions Bowl Season --- Week Fourteen Winner

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:02 am

Bowl Season has Arrived, and the Bowl Picks Thread is Available, here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11501

Congratulations, Derek!! With an Outstanding Score getting 15 of 16 accurate Prediction!

Great Win for the Dawgs! And Great Win for our Resident Dawg!

The Final Overall Scores For the 2017 Regular Season:

1rst place: Spence = 215
2cnd place: Cane = 198
3rd place: Derek = 194
4th place: Highfly = 191
5th place: Donovan = 179

~ Old Ducker = 140 ~ [participation from weeks three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven,twelve, thirteen & fourteen]
~ Vileborg = 90 ~ [participation from weeks one, two, three, four, five & eight]
~ Dossenator = 30 ~ [participation from week one]

Well, the inevitable has occurred, and the Regular Season has sadly come to its end. With it, also comes the end of the Predictions Game; which brings me to the concluding comments on the above synopsis for the year in tally.

Congratulations :arrow: Spence!!

You owned it this year!

So much so, infact, that had you not even scored a single point in the last week, you still would have won by 6.

I was able to somehow hold onto a second place finish. I had some decent weeks. Others were not worth remembering.

Derek; you made a comeback, and jumped over Highfly there at the end to take home third place.

Highfly; a little tough going there at the end. You, Derek & I had all been vying for 2cnd and 3rd place most of the way. All while Spence merely cruised on forward.

Donovan; it wasn't all bad. You had a couple of really solid weeks. Last week in particular. You did fairly well this week, too. And you finished with a score of 29 over .5oo total.

Old Ducker; a few weeks ago, I actually did an average of what you might have score had you submitted a predictions in the weeks you missed. Basing on the highest vs lowest scores from week 1 (27 & 30), where there were 40 picks, and going off of your average totals from you early predictions (how you were doing from the start), I estimated your total would likely have been around 179.

Vileborg; the score of 90 you had for the six weeks you submitted your predictions were pretty good. You really gave Spence a run for his money in the first 5 weeks. Though, there just weren't enough data to get a solid guestimation of how well you might have done for the entire season.

Doss; 30 correct from week 1 is 75% for what you did participate. Not bad.

Just how well overall did we do ... there were a total of 300 potential points for the year per weekly participant.

Subtract 60 from Old Ducker's overall for missing weeks 1 & 2 = 240
Subtract 160 from Vileborg for missing weeks 6 & 7, 9 through 14 = 140
Subtract 260 from Dossenator for missing weeks 2 through 14 = 40

Weighing those Potential Scores vs each Participants Final Scores, (Wrong Picks) we get:

Spence: 300 -- 215 (85) = 71.66%
Cane: 300 -- 198 (102) = 66%
Derek: 300 -- 194 (106) = 64.66%
Highfly: 300 -- 191 (109) = 63.66%
Donovan: 300 -- 179 (121) = 59.66%
Old Ducker: 240 -- 140 (100) = 50.4%
Vileborg: 140 -- 90 (50) = 68.4%
Dossenator: 40 -- 30 (10) = 75%

Let's face it; none of us are getting paid to play this game. If we were, assuredly we would have all laid our personal biases & subjectivity aside, and I'm rather certain these numbers would be earnestly higher.

I would take this group, up against any panel of supposed experts & analysts who do make a living, getting paid to give us their opinions.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Predictions Bowl Season --- Week Fourteen Winner

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:32 am

Cane, Thank for doing this. It is fun and makes me look at a lot of games I would not give a second thought. It is not without a lot of time and effort on your part.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:19 am

Yes, thanks. I’ve always liked the picks game the best here.

I don’t think anyone has picked better than 75% in the game except Mountainman. I think he came in over 80. That is pretty amazing.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:57 am

First, I'd like to thank you for the acknowledgements. Others have thanked me by private message as well, so all of your appreciation is taken with gratitude.

Also, if there are any suggestions you guys have for the picks game, feel free to post up. I'm always flexible to accommodate recommendations. I personally view this game as our game, rather than mine.

If there's anything you'd like to see changed, or included that you think may add some intrigue, just lemme know.

Spence wrote:I don’t think anyone has picked better than 75% in the game except Mountainman. I think he came in over 80. That is pretty amazing.

I would assume, to finish over 80% you would have to make picks you rather would not like to, and picking against teams you have some sentiment for --- I have yet to figure out how to remove myself from the process.

There have been times where I even second guessed myself, and chose teams I wanted to lose, because I couldn't determine whether I wanted to pick against them do to my bias, or if I actually believed they would not win --- I ate it on that a few times this season. :lol:

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:17 am

I really do pick who I think will win every game except I always pick Ohio State to win. And since Ohio State has an all time win average over 80% , I figure I shouldn’t be hurt too bad by that. Mountainman was just very good at picking.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 pm

I would like to join in next season if everyone is still here. Is anyone doing a bowl pick 'em?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:26 pm

You can join in now. They start the game new for bowl season. Fell free to jump in and get your feet wet.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:45 am

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:I would like to join in next season if everyone is still here. Is anyone doing a bowl pick 'em?

Assuming my availability remains mostly the same; I'll do the picks game next season, too. Unless Eric wants it back, then I would be fine with stepping aside letting him take charge ... elsewise, yes, I'll be around next year to carry on.

Spence wrote:You can join in now. They start the game new for bowl season. Fell free to jump in and get your feet wet.

Yeah, what he said ...

If others take part in the Bowl Picks than just who participated in the regular season game; I will post the scores as a separate contest ... No need to wait until next year; go ahead and give it a run at the Bowl Competition, you may just win.

The Page for the Bowl Predictions is here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11501

Donovan has already got his picks in.

Cane... [__]

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:Highfly; a little tough going there at the end. You, Derek & I had all been vying for 2cnd and 3rd place most of the way. All while Spence merely cruised on forward.

Yes it did, so much for that chaotic championship week I was counting on. Its all good, it was another fun season, almost gone, too quick. Really appreciate what you do for it, it can be quite time consuming. I like the variety of games and conferences, makes you look a little harder on some middle of the pack teams in group of 5 confs.

As for the season, its not quite over. The last few years this game has been very competitive and done to the wire. I expect this one to be similar. Go Army Beat navy! The streak ended last year now its time to grab that CIC trophy and sing second again. Flying out early tomorrow, regardless of the outcome, its always been a good trip. Here's hoping for another.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:16 pm

Have a great trip Highfly!

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:25 pm

Good Luck ... Here's hoping you have a fun & safe trip.

I was actually going to ask your thoughts on this game. Army has had a fairly decent year. Navy will look to wreck the Black Knights momentum going into the Bowl. But, I think I have Amy winning this one, myself. You never know, because rivalries such as this can see the pendulum swing the other way when least expected. With two teams who play with such similar styles, everyone will know just what to look for when the ball is snapped. There wont be any surprising the other guy in this game --- Army, to me, seems to have stronger consistency this year, than does Navy. I'm guessing it'll be close. But Army should win.

And yeah, it's great that this will be the game to determine the "Commander In Chief" trophy. Since Navy beat Air Force 48-45, and Army beat Air Force 21-0 ... this game is for all the marbles.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”