Coaching Moves

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Coaching Moves

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:38 pm

So Todd Graham is out at Arizona State. Kevin Sumlin will be the odds-on favorite to take that job, I'm sure. He's on track to get fired soon and he's always been on Arizona State's wish list. Which leaves A&M open and for some reason the grumblings suggest that they want Jimbo Fisher. I don't know what Fisher's angle is or why he'd ever be tempted to leave FSU, but there's a lot of things I don't know. :lol:

If Frost goes to Nebraska, he will kill it and dominate the B1G West. If he goes to Florida, that's more of a wild card, but he would do that program good. Chip Kelly will win 9 games at UCLA off the bat and start competing for Pac-12 titles in year #2.

Tennessee, nobody knows. Apparently they still want Gruden? And Tennessee and Arkansas are taking a look at Mike Leach apparently. I love Mike Leach as he fielded some of my favorite teams to watch ever at Texas Tech, but I don't view him as either a good fit in the SEC or the guy you want to get you over the hump. See also: Washington State's / Texas Tech's near constant level of choking major games away. I think Dan Mullen will end up at Tennessee and I also believe that Florida will keep embarrassing itself.

I can't fathom how Kansas still has Dave Beatty. The guy never had a chance and was an awful hire, but leaving him dangling out there for another year in which Kansas has a guaranteed chance of posting yet another losing record will destroy their recruiting process both for this year and the next year. That which is about to fall over needs to be pushed, as the saying goes. And there's so much offensive coordinator talent in the Big 12 and elsewhere for Kansas to utilize, hires that would turn them around offensively in no time. Sonny Dykes is also chilling as an offensive analyst for TCU.

I don't know if Lane Kiffin will get the call this year or not. Something tells me he likes the lack of pressure and the ease at which he can win at FAU, so maybe he stays one more season. C-USA is pretty bad overall right now and nobody plays any defense, which is perfect. And I'd say 80% of his success can be attributed to Kendall Briles, who I suggested should have gotten a head coaching job by now at a terrible football program like UTEP or UL Monroe. Maybe the Briles name is mud right now, I have no idea. Also Sonny Cumbie and Dave Meachem should probably be coaching somewhere.

It makes me think these ADs are actually really stupid because this stuff isn't hard. Why was Paul Haynes ever hired at Kent State, for example? He just got fired in Year 5 of his regime and he never had a chance. Meanwhile Bowling Green hires Dino Babers and fields the best offense in MAC history. KSU has had historically terrible offenses for over a decade. It's really as simple as hiring a great offensive coaching mind. Wait and see, the incompetent, listless administration will hire some Ohio State assistant or a defensive assistant coach and they'll have 3 more losing seasons.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Re: Coaching Moves

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:47 pm

This would be my annual post wishing June Jones would come back to college football, but he hates recruiting and took over a winless CFL team and actually posted a winning record after he became the interim head coach. So he's perfect for the CFL and Hawaii will never see Jones roaming the sideline ever again. Maybe he pulls a Mouse Davis and starts doing some offensive coordinator work at his old stomping grounds in his old age, but who knows.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:17 pm

I, too, like Jones. Not sure he is a fit anywhere.

I like Leach. He is eccentric, hard-working, smarter than most people and somehow motivates. I think he likes Pullman. If you have ever been to Pullman you would wonder why anyone would like it. 29,000 population and 20,000 of these are students. Oregon State could use a Leach, but he would hate it.

BYU, the cause of all the problems in today's football system1 needs to get their act together. Find a conference. Schedule some reasonable OOC games. (The have the top visitor draw in the West.) Then see if Sitake can survive.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:35 pm

I am happy that Dr. Kelly is back at college but why did it have to be a PAC 12 school?? He's an east coast guy anyway. If I were him I would have taken the Texas job when it was available. UCLA does not really have a great football tradition and it doesnt even have a stadium of its own. Of course he'll succeed there anyway but now I am compelled to be a fan...

As for the rest, I don't think Nebraska is a good job at all. It's not a great school and is not in a good recruiting ground. It is also burdened with a fan base and administrations with unrealistic expectations.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:25 pm

It sure seems like Tenn and Florida managed to flub this up pretty good. Maybe there is little interest, doubtful, or maybe the AD is just awful to work with, no idea, but I'm not impressed with either hire. I dont see some new fear growing in the rival fan bases either.

Eh scratch that. I guess Tennessee realized Schiano was a bad hire. Wonder where they go now but this is a sure sign that Gruden had no interest regardless the money they wanted to throw at him.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:03 pm

highfly24 wrote:It sure seems like Tenn and Florida managed to flub this up pretty good. Maybe there is little interest, doubtful, or maybe the AD is just awful to work with, no idea, but I'm not impressed with either hire. I dont see some new fear growing in the rival fan bases either.

Eh scratch that. I guess Tennessee realized Schiano was a bad hire. Wonder where they go now but this is a sure sign that Gruden had no interest regardless the money they wanted to throw at him.

Why do you think Schiano is a bad hire? He did great at Rutgers. A very good defensive guy.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:09 am

I try to keep up with as many schools, head coaches, coordinators, etc. I forgot Schiano was defensive mind for the Buckeyes. I really did think to myself about him being the Vols next coach. My wife's brother in law is a Tennessee fan. I could not believe the Vandy score. We were watching football Saturday night, and the score popped up. Like dang. I mean Brent Venables, Mike Stoops, I am just throwing names out there, is Tennessee too big for Bud Foster?

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:16 am

Schiano was hired Sunday and deal was torn up Sunday evening because of campus protest that Schiano was associated with Sandusky and part of the cover-up.

I suspect Tenn will need a new AD.....anyone should quit when undermined like the AD was. Tenn will be hard pressed to get any coach...
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:00 am

I agree. Schiano was vetted before being hired at Ohio State because of the same concerns over The Sandusky scandal. They found him credible. I’m not sure if anyone will really know who all knew or why Sandusky was able to get away with all that crap for so long. All I know is when Ohio State verted him they got the answers they needed to hire him.

As far as his abilities as a coach, I think he is pretty good in big picture defense. I’m not nearly as happy with how linebackers have been handled since Like Fickle left. The tackling the last part of this season has been nothing short of terrible. Any QB that can remotely sell the play action has eaten this defense alive.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:43 am

Well, Dan Mullen is the new head coach at UF.

The florida Admin had talked first with Chip Kelly [who said No to the gators, and Yes to UCLA], then to Scott Frost ... no excuse given [yet] as to why Frost turned them down [unless he's holding out for a phone call from Lincoln].

Now there's a vacancy at Mississippi State to be filled --- and whomever they may have in mind, they had better get on it, because they need to act quickly, to try and trump Ole Miss, before Mississippi lands the guy they might consider.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:56 am

--- A report now says that a deal is in place ---

$7.5 million to Jimbo Fisher for a minimum of 5 years, as the New Head Football Coach of the Texas A&M Aggies...

Okay, I get it. The A&M AD was at LSU when Fisher was. But, $7.5 million? I was unaware that "They" even had that kind of money to throw at a coach ... which doesn't even include the price tag for his supporting staff!

Well, no price is too big in this day & age I guess.

How's that blood pressure of yours, Billybud..?

For Fisher, if the ink dries, then it could be a solid move. $2 million more than what fsu was shelling out for your contract, and Texas is as big of a recruiting ground as the state of Florida.

For A&M, make the move now. There have been rumors that other schools [especially in the SEC] are interested in pursuing Jimbo. Better land him before the competition does. And if you actually "do" have the cash to pull it off, then good on you.

Maybe now we know why Scott Frost turned down Gainesville. I wonder if his agent told him there could be an opening in Tallahassee if he were to wait a couple of days.

Yes, indeed ... the religion of football is very much alive in the south ... Church is open!

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:49 am

I like how people who weren't there when things supposedly happen "just know" x, y, and z to be the case. To positively claim that Schiano covered that up requires intimate knowledge of the details, something zero of those protesters had. They just heard some allegations (and not even allegations per se, a statement and then they extrapolated meaning from that statement) with no way to verify any of it and they assume the worst and blackball the man.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:52 am

Why would the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, The Ohio State University, and the University of Tennessee hire a person who had that kind of baggage if it wasn't easily dismissed hearsay? You think they want that on their plate? Instead Tennessee didn't estimate the level of social media outrage of the week, and they caved in. The world of dollars and cents has led people in institutions to be more passive about these matters which leads to PC World. People want to blame PC World on liberals, government, media, etc. but it's really a function of money.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:56 am

What's even more sad, is how the media keeps showing the same footage of protestors marching around with their signs, at an angle that is deceptively large ... when in reality, there were about 30 people altogether ... yep, 30!

Also, many people on social media who blather their slander, generally make multiple illegitimate accounts, which they use to flag posts, bully & ridicule people, raise alarmist knee jerk reactions, hoping to force websites & organizations to ban or eliminate/terminate certain personalities, so they can feel involved and special.

It is the problem with the PC machine, that they created such a SJW monster. The Democrats love it, because they need sheep & dummies to push for circumstances that are unverified propaganda.

This is the world we live in, indeed.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:04 am

Mike Gundy is the latest name on the Nix Knoxville list.

He turned down, $42 million over 6 years [$7 million per year], to stay the head coach of Oklahoma State ... the Mullet stays in Stillwater.

The next man on "the list of hope", Rumors are that Tennessee is targeting a deal with Purdue's Jeff Brohm ... we'll have to wait and see if that goes anywhere.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”