Praying for a sequence...will get Donovan to rant

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Praying for a sequence...will get Donovan to rant

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:55 pm

So...UCF gets by in a squeaker to USF ( #43 in Sagarin) and they have yet to beat a top 30 team (Sagarin) and are supposedly competitive with teams that are 5-0 against top 30 (Clemson), Oklahoma (4-1) or Wisconsin (3-0).

Sorry...you have to play SOMEBODY, and maybe beat them, to be considered a top team.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Bit...it was a fun game for a fan to watch.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Beating the #43 team in the country not only doesn't count for anything, but you didn't like the fashion in which they beat them? But let me guess, LSU can lose to Troy and nobody will care. Wisconsin can "squeak" Purdue and spin their wheels against Illinois and nobody will hold that against them. Clemson can lose to Syracuse and nobody will care. USF is better than all of those teams.

Yeah, straight up, I'd pick Oklahoma or Ohio State or Clemson against UCF and I wouldn't think twice about it. But this UCF team is rock solid. They will deserve to play Auburn or whomever in the Peach Bowl when they get there. Mighty Sagarin has them solidly as a top 20 team in the nation. Even steady, very good teams can't annihilate everybody every week of the season.

Not only have the G5 teams held their own on the big stage, they've actually done well. Yet you complain about them being there every single season. Nobody pretends that the mid-majors taken as a whole are as good as the power 5 conferences, but saying that the best mid-major in any given season is usually one of the top 15-20 teams in the country is hardly a stretch.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 pm

I'm picking UCF against Auburn or Wisconsin and I'm not thinking twice about it :lol: . That's a team with some moxy.

Memphis, should they get in....Probably not.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:35 pm

It was a fun game to watch. Tomorrow will have some fun football. My favorite football Saturday. I am only wishing but I think there is a possibility that Auburn could cause trouble. I hope Malzahn cuts loose and either wins by 2 points or loses by 40. But go for it.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:29 am

Unfortunately if Auburn beats Alabama, the committee will stick the SEC champ and Alabama in the playoff and the last thing I want to see is two SEC teams in the playoff.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:25 am

Oh...I'm not sold on Wisconsin Eric...they get the Big Ten effect...old traditional conference

BUT...they are 20-0 against the MAC since 19990...MAC very competitive?

They are also 15-1 against the WAC....yet 3-7 against the SEC

Ohio State is 46-1 against the MAC, MWC, Sunbelt, WAC since 1990...but 2-8 vs the SEC...tell me which league looks more competitive to play in?

I just know that there is no comparison between a schedule that has a couple of top 20 teams in it and one that has a load of G5's.

UCF may be good this year...but how would we know?

Vegas would know...pit UCF against Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc...and see who is favored.

The computers know...Massey's compilation of 108 rankings has UCF at #11.

If..IF the W-L record is the end all-be all, and it is for some folks, UCF should be in the play offs....if that record is inflated like money in the days of the Weimar Republic (it took a wheel barrow koad to buy a loaf of bread), maybe the W-L record isn't as good as many teams with a loss or two.

We have a saying down south..."they think that he's sweet, but the bees don't know it"

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:15 am

I guess we are a product of our pasts...I'm a southerner, born and bred..and have lived almost all of my life either in Alabama or north Florida within 30 miles of either the Alabama or Georgia border.

In my very fiber, I am a boy of the land of red clay and kudzu. Where the ghosts of Mississippi are never far from the living and no matter how far out in the boondocks you may be, you will soon find a cluster of three or four old houses and a plain white lap sided Baptist church. And where, in our heart of hearts in this bible haunted land, football is the religion of Saturdays.

I suspect, that as a region, that we do believe that non P5 football programs are children of a lesser god. Some are good programs with a regional following, but still rate a chapel instead of the football cathedrals.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:25 pm

billybud wrote:I guess we are a product of our pasts...I'm a southerner, born and bred..and have lived almost all of my life either in Alabama or north Florida within 30 miles of either the Alabama or Georgia border.

In my very fiber, I am a boy of the land of red clay and kudzu. Where the ghosts of Mississippi are never far from the living and no matter how far out in the boondocks you may be, you will soon find a cluster of three or four old houses and a plain white lap sided Baptist church. And where, in our heart of hearts in this bible haunted land, football is the religion of Saturdays.

I suspect, that as a region, that we do believe that non P5 football programs are children of a lesser god. Some are good programs with a regional following, but still, rate a chapel instead of the football cathedrals.

This is very well said and I agree. The looming question I have is not about Southern Football, but why the teams of a lesser god want to go into a cathedral where they are held in thrall. Western football has become shameless.

I was raised in Oregon, a small valley near the mountains. Log trucks rolled through our town with only one log, at most three. Signs on the outside of restaurants read, "No Corked Boots Allowed." There were twice as many farm implement dealers as automobile stores. Friday night high school football was a community gathering where a wooden grandstand was filled whether fans of the game or not. Away games were seldom attended if more the ten miles away. College football was something you read about in the Sunday paper, if the game got over by the deadline, then it was Monday, or not at all.

I aged out of the 40's and 50's but never left.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:50 pm

BB, you just strawmanned my position on this topic, as per usual. Go back and figure out where your logic erred.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Eric,,,I could give a darn about your position...I have mine,,

In fact, I can't really decipher your position.
Last edited by billybud on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:51 pm

There has not been a mid major NC since my son was born 33 years ago, and that BYU NC left such a sour taste that it changed college football.

The Cougars were undefeated but beat only one bowl team during the regular season (Air Force), and did not play anyone who finished the season ranked in the top 20. BYU's most impressive road win was at Pittsburgh, who finished the season 3-7-1.

Lavell Edwards' squad clinched the national championship by playing in the Holiday Bowl against a 6-5 Michigan team, easily Bo Schembechler's worst squad in his 21 years in Ann Arbor.

Blame BYU for the SOS skepticism today.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:55 pm

Maybe BYU was the UCF of its day...and got the NC on W-L alone.

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:58 pm

donovan wrote:
billybud wrote:I guess we are a product of our pasts...I'm a southerner, born and bred..and have lived almost all of my life either in Alabama or north Florida within 30 miles of either the Alabama or Georgia border.

I suspect, that as a region, that we do believe that non P5 football programs are children of a lesser god. Some are good programs with a regional following, but still, rate a chapel instead of the football cathedrals.

This is very well said and I agree. The looming question I have is not about Southern Football, but why the teams of a lesser god want to go into a cathedral where they are held in thrall. Western football has become shameless.

I was raised in Oregon, a small valley near the mountains. Log trucks rolled through our town with only one log, at most three. Signs on the outside of restaurants read, "No Corked Boots Allowed." There were twice as many farm implement dealers as automobile stores. Friday night high school football was a community gathering where a wooden grandstand was filled whether fans of the game or not. Away games were seldom attended if more the ten miles away. College football was something you read about in the Sunday paper, if the game got over by the deadline, then it was Monday, or not at all.

I aged out of the 40's and 50's but never left.

Me too. We had a sawmill in our town. It had a log pond and a wigwam burner. The mill was afraid of kids fishing in the log pond, being dangerous with all the floating logs and kids being kids so it posted a sign by the highway at the entrance to the pond that said, "Danger, beware of Pythons." I always thought that was funny.

That Oregon doesn't exist anymore but I sure miss it.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:36 am

billybud wrote:The Cougars were undefeated but beat only one bowl team during the regular season (Air Force), and did not play anyone who finished the season ranked in the top 20. BYU's most impressive road win was at Pittsburgh, who finished the season 3-7-1.

Lavell Edwards' squad clinched the national championship by playing in the Holiday Bowl against a 6-5 Michigan team, easily Bo Schembechler's worst squad in his 21 years in Ann Arbor.

billybud wrote:Maybe BYU was the UCF of its day...and got the NC on W-L alone.

Yes, but if UCF were to get into the College Football Playoff [I'm not saying they should be], UCF will have to, first play Memphis next week, who coming in to Saturday was ranked #20 in the playoff poll. Then to be the National Champions, they would have to beat two top 4 teams in the playoffs ... which is in direct contrast to BYU's championship from 1984.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”