Praying for a sequence...will get Donovan to rant

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Praying for a sequence...will get Donovan to rant

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:52 pm

If there was a playoff with conference champs making up the field, maybe they would get a win against a top 30 team. If not so what. It really wouldn’t matter except to TV and the bowl presenters. I think it isn’t any different then having a power 5 conference get a second team in because this conference is so tough they “beat each other up”. Or one that completely dominates the other teams who are really just bad. If the cream always rises to the top then why not let the cream from every conference have a shot and see who rises. At least it would be real.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Spence wrote:
donovan wrote:Not to continue my diatribe, by the opinions of who is better and who is not is just that, opinion. Records speak for themselves. Get a system that leaves all the speculation and money incentive out of it. Done in many other sports. UCF not being up there show what a shame the system is. Fantasy football has taken over. It's not like anyones schedule was a secret before the start of the season....if you don't like a teams schedule, don't send them an invitation. It's alright to be elitist scallywags.

I've been saying this for a while. I even said a playoff would benefit Ohio State - it has. Even the year Ohio State won the championship there was a big argument they should have not been there. Meaning we don't know who is the better team. Sometimes after the game we even disagree. The only way to have a real playoff is to let the conference champs from all conferences play. Not have a mid major play in. Not have a team from a power 5 conference get a second team - even if that team could, would, should, beat every other team in the playoff. Either make it a real playoff or forget the farce that we have a real national champ because we pick four teams who can draw an audience (and make a ton of money) or just go play the old system and let people argue. They will argue anyway.

There are enough games in the season as it is. If you want to expand a playoff fine, just shorten the regular season. Perhaps get rid of the early home money games, but that would hurt the smaller schools at the expense of the larger ones. Does it really matter anyway? I mean who cares if there is a "consensus" national champion. Less to argue about :P
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:39 pm

I would actually prefer we just go back to the bowls and forget all the playoff crap. But if they are going to act like the nc is going to be settled on the field then it should be a tournament of champions based on conference winners. Not something decided from a few people hanging out at the Gaylord in Grapevine Texas.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:34 pm

Yes ... that is the argument --- and whether some would like to admit it or not, a valid one, too.

However, the system, right now, is as it is ... UCF does not have a ranked 30 opponent on their schedule. I do believe they should be in the top 10 at the present, irregardless.

I don't care if teams ahead of them have a much higher schedule strength, when some of those teams also have 2 losses. Especially, blowout losses.

Being undefeated, and winning the way UCF has been winning, should have some offsetting effect versus 2 loss programs, no matter how close those games may have been --- If you are going to penalize Central Florida for not paying a hard enough schedule, maintaining the opinion that they haven't proven something by winning. Then also drop the hypocrisy, and penalize the teams who did play a tougher schedule, only to lose a couple of games, which is proof that they have in fact failed on the field.

You can't have it both ways, only to say one is not the same.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:12 am

It is time America quit settling. Power and avarice can never be equated to good.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:31 am

The should pull out. Why continue to fool yourself. And without the sacrificial lambs....the ACC SEC, Big This and that....will fade into a no money maker nationwide and they will be left as a returned orphan.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21518862/aac-commissioner-mike-aresco-lobbies-more-respect-conference

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:13 am

My issue with ranking teams like UCF is that they never give them the benefit of the doubt. In what should be a case-by-case basis, they always give the nod to the team that played the harder schedule with more losses, even if they lack quality victories. UCF would probably be in that 2 loss range if they had played some of those other schedules. It should be, "Team A is 10-2 and Team B is 12-0. Team B would probably also be 10-2 on Team A's schedule. Now let's rank them appropriately; sometimes we'll rank Team A higher or Team B higher, it really depends on how we perceive the team." But that's never the case, it's always Team A.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:54 am

The thing is...how would UCF do playing Miami and Clemson and NC State....or Ohio State and Wisconsin...or Oklahoma and TCU.

FSU, as bad as they are this year, would look more like UCF if the Noles had not played six teams with top 40 defenses.

UCF so far, has played defenses ranked way out there.....some way out where the buses don' t run.

Their highest ranked opponent on Total Defense was Temple at #67, Navy at #72, FIU at #74...then the deplorables.....

Cincinnati at #97, Memphis #112, SMU #122, ECU #127, UConn at #128
Last edited by billybud on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:03 am

I call it the "Ball State Effect"....

When Ball State went 12-0 and zoomed up the rankings to top 10, I scoffed (what's new?).

An artifact of a weak schedule I moaned...then Tulsa (11-1) blew them out by 32 points in the bowl.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:08 am

Yep, and UCF beat Baylor in a BCS bowl, when Baylor was supposed to be a contender.

I am not saying put th knights in the playoff.

I am saying, a two loss team has not proven themselves capable on the field, anymore than 10-0 Central Florida ...

If the Bulls win today; then we'll have the, a-Hah! moment. And the issue would be mute ... it just hasn't happened yet. It may, but, it also may not.

Then you have 11-0 UCF.

And then same excuses next week.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:35 am

Do not obfusticate the argument. Let me, master of succinct thought, clarify.

1. Those that support the current system are correct. You support where "strong" teams, based on predetermined computer criteria and posthuman confabulation, to compete for the prize.
2. The other side is, there should not be 124 teams in the mix. With fewer teams, you could have a playoff on the field of battle.
3, And lastly, go back to conference play, they pick a champion, however they want, and two champions meet in a bowl game and on January 2, it's over.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Maybe I am blinded by how FSU's schedule turned out this year...having played three of the top four teams in the CFP Ranking.

Those teams are a combined 29-1 so far.

Now, playing Delaware State does make FSU look fantastic...beat Delaware by 71 points with a game shortened, by mutual consent, to 50 mnutes.

So...I do have a feeling that who you play has a lot to do with your final record.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:45 pm

Billybud, the non-BCSers (and the Big East / AAC last two seasons of the BCS where they were treated as a de facto mid-major) have gone 8-3 in BCS/NY6 games. I mean it is what it is, but when you take any pool of 60 teams and take the best one, that team is bound to be pretty good. Comparing 2007 Ball State to this UCF team is totally unfair. Yes teams get credited for their W/L record in the rankings, but the rankings are pretty meaningless at the end of the day outside of the CFP top 4, and nobody will actually put UCF in the game.

If UCF played a run of the mill Big 12 schedule or ACC schedule, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that they'd be looking at a 9-3 or 10-2 mark. I highly doubt they would be undefeated. But we put 9-3 and 10-2 P5 teams in the NY6, which is why whichever mid-major gets that bid usually deserves it.

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:52 pm

I almost didnt bother to watch UCF/USF and only did because of Scott Frost. Heavens to murgatroyd what a game!!
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:54 pm

That game was absolutely amazing. Why I love college football compared to the pros. This is the least amount of CFB that I've ever watched in a season, but I was glad I caught this game.

Return to “General Discussion”