Praying for a sequence...will get Donovan to rant

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Praying for a sequence...will get Donovan to rant

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:09 am

If UCF goes 13=0 and is left out of the CFP while a two loss P5 team gets in....

I think that the playoff is shaping up...

1...SEC...One of Bama, Georgia, or remotely possible, Auburn.

2...ACC...Miami or Clemson

3...Big Ten...Wisconsin or Ohio State

4...Big 12...Oklahoma

Now...If USC wins out at 11-2 and also TCU wins out and is at 11-2...there will be some jockeying between the two.

Will a 12-1 Bama that loses to Georgia stay in over a two loss TCU or uSC?

But if UCF goes 13-0...and isn't in the playoff...I expect to hear...hegemony of P5, lock out of non P5 teams, yada, yada
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Praying for a sequence...will get Donovan to rant

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:41 am

I don't believe there should be two teams from the same conference in a field of four. Wisconsin will win the B1G, Looks like Bama in the SEC. Miami-Clemson is interesting. I think Miami because is just feels like their year. The coin keeps coming up heads for them. Oklahoma in the B12. It will be a close call Between Wisky and Notre Dame if the Domers win out. I think Ohio State has to beat Wisconsin to put USC in and Notre Dame has to lose to Stanford. That is how I see it anyway.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 pm

billybud wrote:If UCF goes 13=0 and is left out of the CFP while a two loss P5 team gets in....

4...Big 12...Oklahoma

Now...If USC wins out at 11-2 and also TCU wins out and is at 11-2...there will be some jockeying between the two.

But if UCF goes 13-0...and isn't in the playoff...I expect to hear...hegemony of P5, lock out of non P5 teams, yada, yada

I don't see USC making it this year because of SoS. The Pac 12 sucks. There are a couple of decent teams, several average ones and three or four that are utter garbage. The bright side is we will get to hear the USC fanbase whining about how everybody hates them once more. 8)
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 pm

I think if Georgia can beat Alabama, they will use two teams from the SEC. Then we have the ACC winner, Wisconsin Big 10 champs, Oklahoma, Ohio State Big 10 champs, in that order.

Since that's not going to happen, Georgia will be knocked out the following week which means Bama, ACC winner, Oklahoma, Big 10 champs. I think Ohio State gets the nod over USC or TCU or Notre Dame.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:38 pm

I am too tired to rant. I am thankful for so much, a great family, country and friends and in particular, those on this board. So why should I get sucked into ranting about a system that is dishonorable, unprincipled, degenerate, dog eat dog, remorseless, calculating and degrading. If in this caste system the Dalits are featherheaded enough to participate, then the pox is on them.

In the end, the minions of the NCAA will gather and cheer the foreordained winners and those without blemish, perfect records, but unordained, will believe the bullying of self-aggrandizing blatherskites. They will confess that their spotless record was tarnished and they, in fact, are unworthy to stand in the presence of the self-proclaimed (there is not a small enough g) gods of football.

As for me, I will not succumb to the low level of bashing a system born in the bowels of Hell in the darkness of a cypress swamp on a moonless night. No, not I.

Tomorrow will be a dinner fit for a king. And unlike the College Football Championship, all guests will sit at the table and partake, without regard to anything.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:12 pm

:lol:

Well I doubt my opinion matters, but it would be a shame if the top-tier continues to drop and UCF continues to not even get a whiff of the playoff. This team could definitely compete against a Miami or a Wisconsin. I actually don't think Miami is that much better than UCF.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:36 pm

Would make for a fun game.

Though, I do not believe they would put Miami vs UCF in the first round, in the event they would choose to put the Knights in. My guess, is they would split the same state teams into 2 separate playoff bowls ... unless they find it more appealing to push the little brother vs the state power program angle. Then, maybe they would do it. It would all depend on which spin could generate the most revenue.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:39 pm

It would, and I don't say that as a put down of Miami. I just legitimately think UCF is one of the ten best teams in the country right now.

I'd probably go (based on talent):

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Penn State
5. Georgia
6. Oklahoma
7. Miami
8. USC
9. Wisconsin
10. UCF

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 pm

People haven't thought much of the top-tier non-BCSers in general, but they mostly acquitted themselves very well in the primetime games. They went 5-2 in the BCS era with 2012 NIU and 2007 Hawaii being the only faceplants (and even though NIU was vastly overmatched, they didn't play that badly). And they're 2-1 in the playoff era with Boise over Arizona, Houston over Florida State, and then Western hung around with Wisconsin. And then even the Big East / AAC in 2012 and 2013 were treated as de facto mid-majors when everybody counted out Louisville against Florida and then UCF against Baylor and then they just whipped their opponents.

If UCF gets Auburn or TCU or Wisconsin, I'm picking UCF. Miami I might stick with the Canes.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Not to continue my diatribe, by the opinions of who is better and who is not is just that, opinion. Records speak for themselves. Get a system that leaves all the speculation and money incentive out of it. Done in many other sports. UCF not being up there show what a shame the system is. Fantasy football has taken over. It's not like anyones schedule was a secret before the start of the season....if you don't like a teams schedule, don't send them an invitation. It's alright to be elitist scallywags.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:10 pm

billybud wrote:If UCF goes 13=0 and is left out of the CFP while a two loss P5 team gets in....

4...Big 12...Oklahoma

But if UCF goes
13-0...and isn't in the playoff...I expect to hear...hegemony of P5, lock out of non P5 teams, yada, yada

Well; UCF would be 12-0 after having one game cancelled because of the hurricane ...

But we get your point.

I doubt we hear that much chatter from the media sources. They have been ignoring it up to now, and about the only thing they have said, is how UCF will be satisfied with a new year's six bid.

So, if we do not hear about the unfairness of the system [with an undefeated UCF], then we know the media is finished championing the cause for fairness. Because they have their playoff.

On the other hand ... how much would you be willing to wager that if any TV personalities were to mention how Central Florida is not getting their just due; it will also be accompanied by the opinion of needing to expand the playoff to 8 teams?

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:34 pm

billybud wrote:3...Big Ten...Wisconsin or Ohio State

It is interesting, though ... the coaches' poll actually has Wisconsin ranked #4.

I'll also say this; if South Florida had beaten Houston 3 weeks ago, then a game between unbeaten USF & UCF would produce a top 10 ranking for whichever team won.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:49 am

donovan wrote:Not to continue my diatribe, by the opinions of who is better and who is not is just that, opinion. Records speak for themselves. Get a system that leaves all the speculation and money incentive out of it. Done in many other sports. UCF not being up there show what a shame the system is. Fantasy football has taken over. It's not like anyones schedule was a secret before the start of the season....if you don't like a teams schedule, don't send them an invitation. It's alright to be elitist scallywags.

I've been saying this for a while. I even said a playoff would benefit Ohio State - it has. Even the year Ohio State won the championship there was a big argument they should have not been there. Meaning we don't know who is the better team. Sometimes after the game we even disagree. The only way to have a real playoff is to let the conference champs from all conferences play. Not have a mid major play in. Not have a team from a power 5 conference get a second team - even if that team could, would, should, beat every other team in the playoff. Either make it a real playoff or forget the farce that we have a real national champ because we pick four teams who can draw an audience (and make a ton of money) or just go play the old system and let people argue. They will argue anyway.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:40 pm

Here is the tell tale...

UCF has an SOS of 90...ninety

UCF has zero wins against a top 30 team...zippo, nada

What have they done to deserve to be one of the top four teams?

Welll guess what, Central Arkanasas is 10-1 and nobody is talking about them either.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:26 pm

billybud wrote:Here is the tell tale...

UCF has an SOS of 90...ninety

UCF has zero wins against a top 30 team...zippo, nada

What have they done to deserve to be one of the top four teams?

Well, guess what, Central Arkansas is 10-1 and nobody is talking about them either.

Then it is time we start talking about them. And in answer to your question, UCF and Central Arkansas, and Boise State's of the world should never be in the mix. But who would be the fodder for the Gridiron Bullys.

PS...Hope your Thanksgiving is great.

Return to “General Discussion”