Week Ten All quiet on the Western Front

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Week Ten All quiet on the Western Front

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:37 pm

donovan wrote:Week 10 Thoughts

6. Coach Spence is not worried. The Buckeyes will win the East Division with a win over Michigan State next week. The “Committee” will find a way.

35 zip...and it's not even half-time.....

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:35 pm

billybud wrote:You don't have Waffle Houses?

Gads... out posts on the edge of civilization....and I thought it was bad up here on the mountain without a Whataburger within an afternoon's drive.

You must have grits...the most essential southern export...maybe more essential then the southern exports of fried chicken, black eyed peas, blues, jazz, gospel, bluegrass, Elvis and Bill Clinton.

If grits are so great, why are they so hard to find? Even the down home restaurants around here (Dallas) don't serve them.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Ohio State sure laid the wood on Sparty. :shock:
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Michigan State is a young team and Ohio State is a young team and they have better players. The Buckeyes are playing for a big ten championship and a Rose Bowl berth. That is the limit for them this year. You can get smoked in two games and pretend it didn’t happen.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:05 am

Spence wrote:Michigan State is a young team and Ohio State is a young team and they have better players. The Buckeyes are playing for a big ten championship and a Rose Bowl berth. That is the limit for them this year. You can get smoked in two games and pretend it didn’t happen.

Spence, you are so conservative about Ohio State you make Attila the Hun out to be a liberal.

You are in the hunt...I tell you...Follow the money.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:36 am

I thought the money was running around on the neck of Miami's secondary unit ... :mrgreen:

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:29 am

The line I keep hearing and reading is There has never been a two loss team in the playoff. The media speaks as if this will never happen. Well, the way some of these conferences are playing and the toughness, it is bound to happen very soon. What if Auburn wins out? I told a coworker that is a Buckeyes fan, they aren't out if this CFP thing yet. Is Notre Dame really out of the mix if Oklahoma or Clemson slip up? The next few weeks are going to be what I have been waiting for.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:09 am

I heard two commentators agreeing the Wisconsin gets no consideration because of SOS. The minute you believe that hooey it is up to the Knights of the Golden Circle.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:51 am

Or how about the Knights of Central Florida . .?

If this were the BCS era, all we would hear about from the media, is how unfairly UCF is being treated, by not getting consideration.

Then again ... now that the media owns the broadcasting rights to the playoffs, we are beginning to hear the, why not a 2 loss SEC team [I'm sure I needn't mention of whom I'm referring].

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:17 am

Not calling out anyone's team, but up until about a week or two ago, Alabama's schedule wasn't all that. I know Wisconsin's is looking bad also. They have some upcoming games that will improve that. Last season, wasn't Washington's SOS pretty poor? They made it in. I remember reading and listening preseason how Wisconsin didn't have to play this team or that team this season. And the Badgers were a sure thing for the CFP. Now, they aren't? Even if undefeated?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:11 am

donovan wrote:
Spence wrote:Michigan State is a young team and Ohio State is a young team and they have better players. The Buckeyes are playing for a big ten championship and a Rose Bowl berth. That is the limit for them this year. You can get smoked in two games and pretend it didn’t happen.

Spence, you are so conservative about Ohio State you make Attila the Hun out to be a liberal.

You are in the hunt...I tell you...Follow the money.

If Ohio State is in the hunt it is only about the money. They don’t deserve to be there. They are too inconstant. If they lost a couple of games similar to how they lost to the Nits last year - maybe. But Oklahoma beat them solidly and Iowa took them to the woodshed. If the voters look past that it is wrong. Just like Notre Dame getting taken to the woodshed last night by Miami shouldn’t be looked over. I think Notre Dame is pretty good this year - doesn’t matter after last night.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:13 pm

They're getting closer ...

Associated Press Poll

1 Clemson 11-1
2 Oklahoma 11-1
3 Wisconsin 12-0
4 Auburn 10-2
5 Alabama 11-1
6 Georgia 11-1
7 Miami 10-1
8 Ohio State 10-2
9 Penn State 10-2
10 TCU 10-2
11 USC 10-2
12 UCF 11-0
13 Washington 10-2
14 Stanford 9-3
15 Notre Dame 9-3
16 Memphis 10-1

Coaches Poll

1 Clemson 11-1
2 Oklahoma 11-1
3 Wisconsin 12-0
4 Auburn 10-2
5 Alabama 11-1
6 Georgia 11-1
7.25 Ohio State 10-2
7.75 Miami 10-1
9 USC 10-2
10 Penn State 10-2
11 UCF 11-0
12 TCU 10-2
13 Washington 10-2
14 Memphis 10-1
15 Stanford 9-3
16 LSU 9-3

Maybe Donovan is on to something.

Going by the Narrative Insinuated Above; if Clemson beats Miami, TCU beats Oklahoma, Auburn beats Georgia and Ohio State beats Wisconsin, the Playoffs would be down to this:

Clemson
Auburn

And Two of these Three:

Alabama
Ohio State
TCU

Mind you, these are not playoff official polls. So we may get something altogether different. I don't think we do, though. The AP hates being wrong, and have stopped attempting to influence the Playoff Committee's perspective [now that they realize the Committee disregards their intended directive], and have tried as best they can to start mirroring how they believe the Playoff Committee will vote, in order to seem is if they have some relevance.

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:29 pm

I'd hate it if it ended up..

1..Clemson
2..Oklahoma
3..Wisconsin
4..Auburn

The Clemson-Auburn play off has already happened.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:11 pm

I feel the same way.

The media is talking the hype up, not so much as who deserves to be in, rather, there has been mention of Auburn's getting in, despite their loss to Clemson.

What I hard a "personality" say, was; "Yes, and I'm aware Auburn lost to Clemson, but Auburn is playing much better now than when they lost to Clemson. Still, two losses has to count for something".

So, the rhetoric is that, they are playing better than they did when they lost, and thus, it is a valid argument to lobby for them to get a top four slot. While at the same time, since they have two losses, it should matter, so they could be left out on that merit.

The spin is obvious ... we do not want to commit to saying who should be in the playoff. So let's make everyone's argument sound logical, and we cannot be wrong since we mentioned all of the potentially qualifying teams.

Then again ... if the story of a Rematch can generate the most revenue, we will see both Ohio State & Auburn, along with Oklahoma & Clemson.

That would be the media dream tournament. [since in most all of their scenarios Wisconsin loses to OSU]

They could get Ohio State vs Oklahoma for a rematch, and Auburn vs Clemson as a rematch. If both Ohio State & Clemson win, we would see a rematch of last year's first round, in the Championship.

With that being posted ...

I want Miami to beat Clemson. Whether the `Canes stand a chance or not is irrelevant. This is what I want, so I will be selfishly against any rematch angle.

Miami, Oklahoma, Wisconsin & Georgia is what I'll be hoping for.

It does mean I think that's what we'll get. But it would be satisfying enough.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”