Week Ten All quiet on the Western Front

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Week Ten All quiet on the Western Front

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:10 am

Week 10 Thoughts
1. Derek and Cane are Co-Coaches, not because they were great wins but right now both are living the dream and they are close to wetting their pants they are so excited.
2. Notre Dame squeaking by the Demon Deacons probably has not ecclesiastical relevance.
3. Cougars thought they could gum the Bulldogs to death.
4. Miami has a defense.
5. Joshua Jackson has received 54,675 invitations to Iowan Thanksgiving Dinners. None from Ohio.
6. Coach Spence is not worried. The Buckeyes will win the East Division with a win over Michigan State next week. The “Committee” will find a way.
7. Florida is ready to bring back McElwain. A field goal in the 3rd qtr, down 22 points and you're are 4th and goal on the 7th. That is a new definition for a conservative.
8. There will soon be an opening at A & M. Coaching in a non-Parity conference is insanity for a coach. The bottom feeders will always get fired and the top feeders will never be good enough. You know both lists.
9. Chryst at Wisconsin might be Coach of the Year if anyone cared.
10. Lane Kiffin is the hero of the day. You have to love intentionally not covering the spread.
11. Washington State will go unnoticed, it was a good game.
12. USC should go unnoticed, Jones is a fun running back to watch.
13. Washington will go unnoticed. Pettis set an NCAA record, nine punt return TDs.
14. Boise State 7-2 is a prime example of what happens when you become so arrogant you think you can play with the self-proclaimed elite. Sell your birthright for a mess of pottage and…well you know the story.
15. And lastly, Flordia State will be the spoiler team for the rest of the year, they win out and get a Bowl with 6 wins. Someone has too. Heard it first right here.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Week Ten All quiet on the Western Front

Postby WoVeU » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:18 pm

I got Full Belly Syndrome last night and dosed for a bit. This moved my real bed time to just after PAC-12 hours. I am rather given to not caring about the West Coast and it's brand of football but I noted a worthy version of pigskin (US-something was playing.) I am becoming more and more convinced you are right about the time slots hurting west coast appreciation.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:44 pm

I know the Committee might have inner workings. Ohio State might still be able to get in, especially if other teams lose. The thing is, will the huge beating by Iowa be viewed on the same level for the Buckeyes as it would other top level programs? I am not calling the Buckeyes out, just wondering if they will be considered above all other two loss teams even with this big margin of loss.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:51 pm

I don't think the committee will find a way this year. I know it won't be deserved if they do. I just want to beat the skunk bears and go to the Rose Bowl.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:09 pm

Skunk Bears! :lol:
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 am

Isn't the Wolverine the largest member of the weasel family ?

My dad was a Wolverine...and paid for it all his life when our Wisconsin family got together. The talk usually quickly migrated to the Packers, on which all could agree.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:11 pm

I don’t know if they are the largest, but they are mustelids.
And Weasel fits them.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:23 pm

donovan wrote:1. Derek and Cane are Co-Coaches, not because they were great wins but right now both are living the dream and they are close to wetting their pants they are so excited.

A week ago, my feelings were, "If we can win one of the 2 vs Virginia Tech/notre dame then finish out the regular season without losing, I'd be okay with losing to Clemson in ACC Championship Game, then going to a high profile Bowl ... now, I'm trying to not get delusions of grandeur.

Though, the way most of this season has gone, any loss wouldn't surprise me --- it wouldn't be ideal --- but it won't take me off guard.

If the stars should align just so; Derek & I could be meeting in the playoffs. However, the unfortunate story of the game, will be how the media will make a big deal about how Richt will be coaching against his former team.

---

donovan wrote:2. Notre Dame squeaking by the Demon Deacons probably has not ecclesiastical relevance.

I'll give Wake a lot of credit. They fought like crazy to get back into that game. They just got too far down early, and couldn't quite put enough back together in the time they had left. a simple case of, too little too late.

I assume that pulling Wimbush and Adams was more of a precautionary thing, rather than a serious injury alert. Neither finished the game against Wake Forest, though, they were ahead by too much to lose. Truly, Wakes last score was with 51 seconds left in the game, and they still lost by 11.

My guess, pulling Wimbush & Adams allowed for the trainers to evaluate their conditions, go through the proper observation protocols, and protect their meal ticket.

I expect they will both be healthy enough to play this weekend [or at least, that is what we will be told].

---

donovan wrote:3. Cougars thought they could gum the Bulldogs to death.

Was a decent game.

Fresno State never did pull away --- But BYU just couldn't do enough to tie things up.

---

donovan wrote:4. Miami has a defense.

And thank goodness for that ... else wise the `Canes would have buried themselves under the weight of those early interceptions. This is a season where the offense has taken its time to get its rhythm going, in almost every game. Without the defense standing strong, there would have been 5 losses.

It's one thing to have a defense that can play ... it is another thing to have a defense who spends a lot of time on the field, and still have the endurance & conditioning to finish strong.

---

donovan wrote:5. Joshua Jackson has received 54,675 invitations to Iowan Thanksgiving Dinners. None from Ohio.

Truly shows how one game can put a player on the map ... this guy was all over Ohio States receivers. But let's not forget the Hawkeyes offense here either.

Iowa certainly capitalized off of every mistake the Buckeyes made. I keep hearing how the Hurricanes finally played a complete game, however; if there is one team who deserves credit for playing start to finish this past Saturday, it's Iowa.

I just wish they could somehow play with that intensity when they are either on the road, or when they are playing a non-ranked opponent at home.

---

donovan wrote:6. Coach Spence is not worried. The Buckeyes will win the East Division with a win over Michigan State next week. The “Committee” will find a way.

Coach Spence is not worried. He never believed the Buckeyes were good enough to be in the position they were, and wanted his team ranked accordingly.

He doesn't want the committee to find a way, so, when OSU gets a decent post season matchup where they can be competitive ... I think Spence will be content with that option.

---

donovan wrote:7. Florida is ready to bring back McElwain. A field goal in the 3rd qtr, down 22 points and you're are 4th and goal on the 7th. That is a new definition for a conservative.

And some people could believe it when the the U administration let Randy Shannon go.

He is a great defensive Coordinator. About as good as they come. And he is a solid recruiter as well.

But put him in charge of the whole team ... no, you'd be best to go in a different direction. {as much as I'd like to believe he is being a loyal Hurricane, deliberately driving them into the abyss, I know better}

At least the lizards are finding out now, rather than giving him the job after the season is over --- too bad really, because I'd enjoy watching him take that program into the quicksand.

---

donovan wrote:8. There will soon be an opening at A & M. Coaching in a non-Parity conference is insanity for a coach. The bottom feeders will always get fired and the top feeders will never be good enough. You know both lists.

So true. The only thing I can think for Sumlin as a comfort, is that he knew what A&M needed to accomplish prior to the start of the season.

No, it may not be fair. And yet, it is the way things are.

If Sumlin wanted something different; he could have taken a job elsewhere. But he didn't. And he's stayed there, even knowing how close to the edge he's been walking on.

---

donovan wrote:9. Chryst at Wisconsin might be Coach of the Year if anyone cared.

He might very well be. He's got the program heading up. Even if he does have the path of least resistance nationally, he is still getting his team to do what is expected of them --- after all, you can only do what you are presented with. They have a schedule, and they are playing it.

You cannot fault them for winning --- Saying they are winning against teams they do not get the chance to play against is conjecture.

---

donovan wrote:10. Lane Kiffin is the hero of the day. You have to love intentionally not covering the spread.

A win is still a win.

Marshall tied the game at one point, but never lead ... that last FAU drive was ... something to be forgotten.

Four plays, in 2 minute & 22 seconds, for a total of negative 41 yards, and being safetied. Though, taking a safety with 8 seconds left in the game leaving yourself a 5point lead with 8 seconds to go ... they did leave Marshall an outlier hope.

Again, a win is a win ... right?

---

donovan wrote:11. Washington State will go unnoticed, it was a good game.

The Cougars made it back into the playoff rankings; at #20 ... so they are effectively out of the conversation.

Yeah, the only thing that'll get them noticed now, is when they play Washington for the Apple Cup. Which, if they should win, they'll be lauded for 15 minutes; and would make the Huskies irrelevant.

---

donovan wrote:12. USC should go unnoticed, Jones is a fun running back to watch.

Jones may very well be the most exciting player on the Trojans' roster. But he is being overshadowed by the media erecting the alter of Darnold.

Maybe it should be noted: Washington State outright beat USC on the field, and yet, USC remains 4 rankings higher in the AP poll, 6 rankings higher in the Playoff poll & 8 rankings higher in the coaches poll; even though both teams are 8-2.

---

donovan wrote:13. Washington will go unnoticed. Pettis set an NCAA record, nine punt return TDs

Washington is still being talked about ... their conversation becomes less frequent the moment they lose 1 more.

If Washington State beat them, we won't here anything more until the final post season rankings.

And, yeah, we should be hearing more from the talking heads of the Huskies players ... you cannot have the amount of success they have been enjoying up there, without the team playing well.

---

donovan wrote:14. Boise State 7-2 is a prime example of what happens when you become so arrogant you think you can play with the self-proclaimed elite. Sell your birthright for a mess of pottage and…well you know the story.

What's worse, is 7-2 is still fairly decent, yet the attendance at Broncos game has slipped. Not good when you spend so much on Stadium upgrades & expanded seating.

And that 7-2 may very well be improved upon going forward ... however, the media used up all of the use they had for Boise once they got their playoff... Otherwise, they would be lobbying for UCF, instead of insisting that UCF is getting their Bowl of "Pottage" being a New Year's 6 contender.

---

donovan wrote:15. And lastly, Flordia State will be the spoiler team for the rest of the year, they win out and get a Bowl with 6 wins. Someone has too. Heard it first right here.

As unlikely a scenario as this is; it would not be unheard of --- "If" the `noles somehow make it clean past Clemson, they have a chance to squeak out a desperate ending.

It could happen ... not probably ... just not impossibly.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:39 pm

donovan wrote:7. Florida is ready to bring back McElwain. A field goal in the 3rd qtr, down 22 points and you're are 4th and goal on the 7th. That is a new definition for a conservative.

Ball State just proved they believe in the same conservative philosophy.

Down 35 points, 4th & goal inside the 5, 3rd quarter, and they kick a field goal.

If that isn't waving the white flag, then I do not know what is.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:45 am

Its also believing that college football is something else than entertainment. Was not always so but it is now. Pro ball, always entertainment. Nothing wrong with either, just always know what business you are in.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:30 pm

donovan wrote:Its also believing that college football is something else than entertainment. Was not always so but it is now. Pro ball, always entertainment. Nothing wrong with either, just always know what business you are in.

It has always been entertainment, but it used to be more.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Week "ELEVEN" All quiet on the Western Front

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:33 am

donovan wrote:11. Washington State will go unnoticed, it was a good game.
13. Washington will go unnoticed. Pettis set an NCAA record, nine punt return TDs.

Stanford largely just made the pacific cost irrelevant in CFB tonight --- there are 3 teams tied for 1rst place, essentially, for the Pac 12 North --- all of them with 2 conference losses.

The Cougars right now are in the driver's seat. They have to win this week vs Utah, then the Apple Cup to secure a spot in the Pac Championship ...

If Washington wins next week, they have an outlier chance of representing the North in the CCG --- They have to beat Utah, then defeat Washington State --- but, they would then need Cal to win in the "Big Game", as Stanford's victory tonight sets the Huskies back 1 game.

Stanford has played all but one conference opponent, which is Cal --- if Stanford should win the "Battle for the Stanford Axe", they would need Washington State to lose 1 of their final 2 remaining games --- either to Utah tomorrow, or vs Washington in two weeks.

The other Pac North teams Conference records, presently, are:

Oregon = 2-5
Cal = 2-5
Oregon State = 0-6

Utah is sitting there @ 5-4 on the season --- all 4 of their losses were to in conference opponents, so they are already eliminated from the Pac Title conversation --- that is; except for playing spoiler for their remaining schedule --- The Utes next 3 games are against Washington State, Washington and Colorado, respectively --- If Utah's wins vs Washington St tomorrow night, it would put the Cougars 1 game behind Stanford --- If Utah beats Washington next weekend, that would eliminate the Huskies from a chance to play in the CCG --- Colorado is 5 -5 on the season, and plays USC tomorrow afternoon, and so; If the Buffaloes lose to the Trojans, then again to Utah, the Buffs will be ineligible for any post season play.

So what does the Pac-12 South look like?

Their Conference Records are:

USC = 6-1
Arizona = 5-2
Arizona State = 5-2
Utah = 2-4
UCLA = 2-4
Colorado = 2-5

USC has more-or-less closed the door on things [actually, they have the best Conference record from both Divisions standing.

Having already played & beaten both Arizona schools; the only chance USC does not make it to the Pac-12 Championship, would be to lose their last 2 games, which are against the Pac-12 bottom feeders, Colorado and UCLA --- even then the only possible way for the Trojans to get bumped, would be if one of the two Arizona teams finished without losing another game.

For Arizona State to have a shot, they need USC to lose to both the Buffaloes and the Bruins --- then the Sun Devils have to win-out against their remaining schedule, which looks like this: UCLA, Oregon State, Arizona --- those first 2 games would be the easiest for them --- however, the season finale` vs instate rival, Arizona will be a battle.

Arizona's circumstance is very similar --- they need for Colorado & UCLA to both beat USC --- While the Wildcats have to win their remaining 3 games vs Oregon State, Oregon, Arizona State --- Herewithin the road feels slightly more tenuous, as Oregon has been able to show up at times, and this game will be played at Eugene --- Then, of course, their is Arizona State who will be waiting for them to finish out the year, where agin, this game will be on the road for the Wildcats, in Tempe.

Anyway ...

Other than So Cal, the Pac-12 is a mess right now, so we'll just have to see how it all plays out.

Cane... [__]

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:05 am

Why do I feel I must apologize for the performance of the Pac 12. Somehow I do, but I shall not. Washington was outplayed and Petersen walks up and down the sideline with no emotion. However...if these were the 'old days' and there was no excogitated reason for a National Championship, I would be saying how 'tight' and exciting the conference was and I would be discussing who was going to make it to the Rose Bowl to play Ohio State!

But alas, Cane, brought me back to reality and even the Rose Bowl has lost its petals.

And to make it all worse, Les Miles is the front-runner for the Oregon State job. Now the Southerner's have taken over the Yankee time-honored profession of being a "Carpetbagger" the next thing you know we will have Waffle Houses on 101 and grits at the Pig 'n Pancake!

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:38 am

You don't have Waffle Houses?

Gads... out posts on the edge of civilization....and I thought it was bad up here on the mountain without a Whataburger within an afternoon's drive.

You must have grits...the most essential southern export...maybe more essential then the southern exports of fried chicken, black eyed peas, blues, jazz, gospel, bluegrass, Elvis and Bill Clinton.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Just what Oregon needs...Only Elvis makes me think there may be some socially redeeming value to your post.

Return to “General Discussion”