Week Two Observations ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Week Two Observations ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:57 pm

--- Saturday ---

What a wild day it was.

I did try to watch the Boise St. / Wazzu game ... but, seeing I had already been up since 4 am; my eyes were burning with tired, I opted for bed.

What I did see of the game. Those two teams were hitting hard. Not just a little bit either. The Cougars looked as if they were attempting to knock the wind out of every player on the Broncos offense.

Even still, Boise was up 7 - 0 early, and had Rypien not fumbled on the 7, Washington State would have been playing catch up all night.

I don't know if USC surprised me, or if Stanford did. I thought this game would have been closer. I even picked the Cardinal to win. I have to give credit to the Trojans. They truly showed me something last night. Are they the 6th best team in the nation, I do not know ... however, I wouldn't leave them out of my top 10.

Stanford had their chances. They created some opportunities, just simply didn't have the ability against USC to capitalize. USC kept Stanford at arms length all night. Then, had their way with `em in the closing minutes. Stanford had no answer for the Trojan running game, merely getting pushed & bullied down the field.

If USC wanted to, they could have emphasized their dominance, by putting another touchdown on the board, with 2:25 left on the clock. They chose instead to melt the time, winning by 18.

What can be said about Oregon ..?

Just when they look like their old [Ducker] selves, they play a second half, where their offense could do nothing.

Unbelievable really. I mean, sure, Nebraska did make some obvious adjustments at the half ... but, even still, the Huskers offense was playing otherwise average. To comeback from being down 42 - 14 at the half, and chip away slowly at the score the way they did.

It shows they have heart, and won't quit. They Blackshirts stood tall, and got them back into the game. They forced Oregon into giving the Husker Offense short field situations, and allowed for the game to become closer than it probably should have --- Just, when you are attempting to mount a comeback like that --- Nebraska You Cannot Throw 4 Interceptions!!

Oregon won the game, 42 - 35

But, if we are to believe the Ducks are truly back, then; Why couldn't Oregon score in the 2cnd half, at all..?

Ohio State / Oklahoma --- to my surprise, I was the only one who took the Sooners in the Predictions this week. I know the game was in the Shoe, but, Ohio State's secondary is not polished enough to hold against an elite passing attack.

I will admit, though. It felt at times the Buckeyes were just about ready to breakout on Oklahoma. Through the first half, Ohio St looked to be getting their rhythm started. And this game might have gotten ugly. Except, things somehow flipped. The Buckeyes couldn't get off of the starting block, until Oklahoma put points up. The Sooners D & Baker Mayfield wound up winning the game. The receivers did their part, but Mayfield is as legit as they come. (Richt needs to take a gaze at this kids play skills, and evaluate potential future recruits vs his)

Ohio State, where was the gap filler?

When the offense runs from inside the 5 yard line, and the D-line doesn't breach, the safeties need to fill the space, especially if the linebackers are covering the middle --- You cannot wait for the runner to get his footing, gain momentum, then hope to crash him at the goal line --- you have to attack the opening.

If you have a Corner and a Safety covering the outside right line; Waiting for the runner to encroach your position is going to wind up having the defensive players getting knocked backward into the end zone every time.

This game could have been even worse, had the replay booth called down and given the interception to the Sooners with 6 minutes left. Oklahoma would have likely bled the clock dry ... but not likely before getting into field goal range, or having another busted play that would've ended up in the end zone.

Oklahoma is certainly deserving of their #5 ranking, and maybe higher.

Donovan, I disagree with the classlessness attribution. I believe Mayfield was hearing about how Ohio St ran the Sooners on their home field last year, and how the media hyped this game, primarily because of the rankings both teams had, even though virtually every sports commentary & writer more or less gave Oklahoma no chance this year. What you had, was a guy who played exceptionally well, with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove. At his age, at that level, with what he saw as disrespect. I do not believe it was classless, rather, a case of emotions getting the better of him.

Georgia / ND

This was an exciting game. So back & forth. Their were mistakes made by both offenses, but, UGA found a way to march the field one last time. ND just doesn't have the passing game to make themselves a threat in a 2 minute situation deep on their own side of the field.

So, what does Georgia have that ND does not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AniIFYKW4nU

If the game had been tied at the whistle, and had this gone into overtime --- they maybe still playing this game right now.

Clemson / Auburn ...

For a game that had a lot of promise, this fizzled quickly. A great defensive battle for most of the game. Clemson looked to pull away, to make it a route. Auburn's D stepped up to put a stop to it.

Auburn's offense is lacking, or, Clemson's defense is stellar. I cannot decide which.

Louisville / North Carolina ...

This was a game where Louisville had a little something left in the motor at the end, when NC didn't.These teams were basically as evenly matched as they come ... It would seem, the Cardinals just have a bit more conditioning than do the Tar Heels.

It was fun to watch. But still leaves me trying to figure out how good Louisville can be --- Are they as good as North Carolina, or did the `Heels just play with their hearts on their sleeve, getting UP to play this game?

I'd like to say we'll know more, next week, when Clemson plays @ Louisville. But I'm still not sure what to make of Clemson, and, Louisville is going to be playing for revenge over last ... make that, every year. Because they haven't beaten Clemson yet, since Louisville joined the ACC.

BYU / Utah

BYU looked improved against the Utes. They outscored Utah in the second half of the game 13 to 10. It just took the Cougars until the second half to score.

This game was played with a lot of grit. Something you expect from a rivalry. Utah's kicker sure got a workout.

BYU's defense proved they can play. It's just, now they have Wisconsin, @ rival Utah State, Boise State, then Mississippi State their next 4 games. It's gonna be a rough year for the Mormons.

I don't think we've seen enough from Utah, either, to know how good or bad they may be. They have San Jose St next, so I don't believe we'll learn much from that game, unless the Utes for some reason lose. It won't be until Friday Sept, 22cnd that they get their true start, against Arizona. Which will likely keep Utah out of the polls whether they deserve it or not.

Utah won, 19 -13

Penn State / Pitt

Man, the Nittany Lions just keep riding along. Pitt never stood a chance in this game. And the Panthers really aren't that bad. Penn St controlled both sides of the ball.

Penn State may very well be the team to beat in the Big 10 this year...

Michigan / Cincinnati

The final score makes the Wolverines look better than their game play did. Cincy isn't good enough to compete, and this game should have been much more lopsided.

If I'm Ohio State, I'm feeling pretty good about my chances vs Big Blue, again this year.

Speight is not a very good passer. He floats the ball over his WR's heads, for what should be game breaking plays. This plays into the hands of Ohio State, since, their Corners like to play 5 yards out of position, behind the receivers anyway. So the Buckeyes might be able to pick a few of those balls off.

If Michigan didn't have such a stout Defense, they would be miserable. There is so much potential on this team, that it feel as though it is being wasted on an inept QB. (trust me, we Hurricanes fans know a little something about that)

TCU / Arkansas

Not much to say here.

The Horned Frogs played rather decent, nothing world beating. Arkansas played just well enough not to get beat by 2 or 3 touchdowns more.

If TCU were better, they win this game by at least 35 points. TCU's defense is going to get them some wins in the Big 12, which will keep them in contention for the title game. Their offense is pretty average, for them. Though, average for them is good enough to score on most of their Big XII peers.

Arkansas simply looks out of sync. They do not look to be playing fundamentally sound. I wouldn't expect much from the Razorbacks this season.

Iowa / Iowa State

This game was exciting. Back & Forth, lead changes and big plays. OT, with a fantastic finish. A finish where I needed to see the replay myself to know whether or not that catch was infact a reception ... it was; and was amazing.

What can one say..? It was the Battle for the Cy-Hawk Trophy, and it did not disappoint. This is what passionate and rivalry football is supposed to be. It made me feel like I was a part of something watching this ... and I didn't have a dog in the fight. What great fun.

Northwestern / Duke

Um...

Did someone forget to tell the Wildcats there was a game on Saturday ..? What happened .?.

Duke crushed Northwestern. Crushed them! 41 - 17; the Blue Devils outscored the `Cats 20 - 7 in the 2cnd half.

I do not know if this was merely a case of one team showing up to play, and the other didn't. Or if Northwestern got out coached. But the Wildcats just flat out got beat. Soundly.

Northwestern got out to an early 3 point lead, and lead most of the 1rst quarter, before duke scored a touchdown with just under a minute on the clock. --- but then things simply got out of hand.

Duke then put up 2 more quick touchdowns, whereas Northwestern finally got into the end zone with :33 left in the half. The 2cnd half saw Duke put up 20 straight points, when Northwestern found their way back into the end zone, 2:05 game time left, for a fluff TD with Duke's 2cnd string defense in the game.

I didn't expect that from the Dukies ... I am sure nobody will be overlooking these guys again, this season.

Shake it off Northwestern; Shake it Off! --- there is still 10 more regular season games on your schedule.

Indiana / Virginia

With the way the Hoosiers played against Ohio State in game one, I assumed they would be sound offensively. I don't think the Cavaliers to be a solid Offensive team themselves, so I was a bit taken by the 0 - 0 1rst quarter. I thought Indiana would have jumped out to an early lead. But they didn't.

They did, however, roll points all over Virginia from there on out.

I figured this would have been a closer game, especially with this game being played @ Scott Stadium --- but 34 - 17 doesn't tell how one sided this event actually was.

Indiana found themselves on the bad end of the questionable laundry cycle. A flag for targeting, where the defender hit the Virginia player cleanly upright, with chest to chest collision, causing their heads to bump, giving the Cavs 15 yards, which kept their drive alive, so they could reach the end zone. An interception by Indiana, returned for a touchdown was called back. And a fumble recovery that was a scoop and score, was called back.

So Indiana could have easily beaten this team 48 - 10, had the refs not interjected themselves.

The Hoosiers look pretty good this year --- the Cavaliers look awful, again

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: Week Two Observations ...

Postby Vileborg » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:18 pm

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Louisville vs. Clemson likely will decide the ACC Atlantic division and probably the ACC. It's too early to call but it's definitely a likely probability the winner takes the ACC.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Cane.....you should replace most of ESPN commentators.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:31 pm

Vileborg wrote:I don't think it's a stretch to say that Louisville vs. Clemson likely will decide the ACC Atlantic division and probably the ACC. It's too early to call but it's definitely a likely probability the winner takes the ACC.

I'm inclined to agree ...

I think with Francois being out for fsu, it will be hard for them to redesign their offense around a true freshmen, especially with cancelling and rescheduling games, which pushes back his real game experience, while Clemson & Louisville continue play with opportunity to adjust.

Miami is somewhat in the same boat; since the only game the `Canes have behind them, is vs Bethune Cookman. Even though a Jr, Malik Rosier is a first year starter, who will not be playing again until the Toledo game on the 23rd.

Virginia Tech may be the team from the Coastal, to represent the ACC in the CCG. And if they win the game @ home on the 30th, vs Clemson; The Hokies might just be the conference favorites.

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:32 pm

donovan wrote:Cane.....you should replace most of ESPN commentators.

As long as I can replace espn as the network I am showcased on, too. :wink:

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am

nice write up...I enjoyed the read. thanks...especially since I missed these games.

FSU without Francois? NC State is tough to run against. The ACC has some really good run defenses but FSU will try to run along with a simplified pass offense that does not require the normal progression of reads. Auburn was limited to a total of 117 yards by Clemson (28 rushing)...so Clemson at Clemson looks very tough. Miami's front seven can stop the run...we'll just have to see if Blackman can hit some targets.

Quirky start of the season...two week break at the start, no warm up OOC G5 team for Blackman to cut his teeth on, and then a season without a bye....dealing with injuries on a tough schedule with no off week will make that schedule tougher. Clemson will have a bye week before the Noles come up...whoopeee!
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Return to “General Discussion”