Have we died and no on told us?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Re: Have we died and no on told us?

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:08 pm

I haven't chimed in here yet, but I'm really too busy in the summer at this point in my life to really stop by during the off-season. I've been to busy to even get the picks game going this year and since participation has been down, I wasn't planning on running it this year.

Once in a blue moon though I do like to go back and read some of the posts from 3, 5, even 10 years ago. I kind of like piecing together what was going on when in college football history by those posts. It would be a shame if they went away (for me anyway), so if there was any way to archive them and keep them around that'd be cool.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:12 pm

The Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive has some pages stored:

https://web.archive.org/web/20111206162 ... rd.com:80/

Some of the topics didn't have a snapshot while a few others did. The latest captures all get a forbidden access error.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Also about message boards in general, they've basically been phased out by social media and comments sections on blogs / news sites. People go to Twitter for information and they can reply on there, or if they only have a little bit of something to say, they can leave a message and be on with their day. It doesn't do much for community-building online though.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:53 pm

Actually, that is a fairly good point.

Most Bloggers -- YouTubers -- Twitter Personalities -- have cross platform pages. Almost all with links to each other.

If someone had a YouTube/Twitter/Facebook something or other, they could put this forum up with tags, such as, for more information and further conversation on the subject, go to: whateverDerekcallthisLink

I personally do not have any social media, myself ... outside of my e-mail. [size=85](and here) [though, I've often been told I need a blog][/size]

Anyone else out there ..?

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Just a report on the status so far.

Still working on making this happen. Getting our schedules together with Matt is tough. We will still use the same domain name, and if everything works, you should not notice a difference.

Go Dawgs! Heading to Athens this coming weekend to watch them play App State (hoping it's not Michigan Part 2).
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanx a bunch, again Derek.

And here's to a good trip. I hope your Dawgs do get the win. Miami got Appy State last year, and many were predicting a tough game. But it was all hype; much as I expect this season.

Did you know..? Michigan's loss to Appalachian State was 10 years ago this upcoming weekend. And ppl still remember it. That game put App St on the map, as far as national interest is concerned. Nobody has taken them lightly since, either.

Georgia ought to be decent enough up front on the O-line to push `em back most of the game. My guess is they wear down App's D, and let the depth factor take over.

On-the-other-hand; it's game 1, and strange this have been known to happen --- which is why I put this game in the Predictions.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks, Derek.

At the start of the season, always hoping all of our teams will be in the hunt.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:52 pm

I agree.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 am

Sorry, the delay is my fault. Was out of town for two weeks, got back for a week, and now I'm heading to San Antonio and then Houston for the next 1-2 weeks.

Don't worry, though. The board will stay up, and eventually we'll get it all transferred over!

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:28 am

Bring your umbrella Openskies!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks Derek!!!

We've kind of maintained a small community and I come back every year to see the same faces. I used to talk college football in a lot of different places but this is the only place that ever stuck with me and I've grown fond of all the members.

Everything seems to have moved to twitter and Facebook where instant feedback and one liners rule the day. It makes me long for these forums more and more. Our members tend to bring concise and detailed explanations as well as depth to their conversations.

I've been circling but have just been busy. Bought a house a few months ago or should I say the bank bought a house and I get to rent from them for a long while. I'm living just north of San Marcos in Kyle TX now and got some sustained Tropical Depression weather. I opened the door and the dogs just looked at me like, go ahead, we promise not to shut the door and lock you out. So I threw them out in it and watched them prance around and do there stuff. I was rewarded by a shake shower and some damp furniture as I chased them around the house with a towel for a few days.

All in all, I got a lot of wind and rain but not much damage. Lost a few shingle tabs is all. Been glued to the TV worried about my fellow Texans in Houston and the surrounding areas.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Hope all is well....and that the rain passes.

We know that area well (I usually rent a place near Wimberly when visiting my wife's family).

Our family a little east of San Antonio has had rain and win...but only very minor damage.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:35 pm

All is well at home here in Austin. We're running air missions for FEMA, USAF, Coast Guard and Texas out of San Marcos down to Houston and Corpus for the next week, then moving next week to Houston once we can get supplies in and find an airport without damage that has fuel!

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:05 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote: Did you know..? Michigan's loss to Appalachian State was 10 years ago this upcoming weekend. And ppl still remember it. That game put App St on the map, as far as national interest is concerned. Nobody has taken them lightly since, either.

It's been 11 years since Oregon hosted Oklahoma and won. Ppl still remember that one too. This is the game that featured the imfamous onside kick and caused the Sooner fanbase to whine to unprecedented heights. Even David Boren, OU President demanded that the NCAA strike the game from their records. Ever since then my avatar on the SB Nation blogs has been the crying Oklahoma kid.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:28 am

openSkies wrote:All is well at home here in Austin. We're running air missions for FEMA, USAF, Coast Guard and Texas out of San Marcos down to Houston and Corpus for the next week, then moving next week to Houston once we can get supplies in and find an airport without damage that has fuel!

Be Safe. Thanks for what you are doing.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”